ABF | We need to vote Freight negotiator out

This guy is not listening to the member's. He gave away YRC wages and pension and now they are working to have ABF employee's give away wages. This is a win-win for the company and Teamsters as ABF employee's will pay for this many years . The Teamsters look to even the playing field,bring ABF employees down to YRC wages than when the snap back provision comes into effect with YRC they will only ask to restore the pension. We need to vote this tentitive agreement down and then vote these guy's out.

What would you do different ? If you where in charge of the Freight division and a company came to you with this info would you not present it to the employees ? Would you not let the employees be in charge of there own destiny ? Would you lie to the employees and tell them everything's OK ? What would you tell the employees if the company then went out of business sorry ?

Do you really think the company is going out of biz or is this guy looking to make it easier to tell YRC employees that he should never have got them out of the pension. So if you take a wage concession it makes it easier to go to YRC management and get something back.I have a stock tip if you think ABF is not going to survive. SELL..

I would say since 1964 when the NMFA was signed NO COMPANY has ever asked us to open the contract to give more money to it's union employees. not once never!! the reopening of our contract is a ONE WAY STREET!! My contract runs thru 3-31-13 I expect it to be upheld by my chosen leaders!!!

[quote author=dave034 link=topic=79670.msg825520#msg825520 date=1272538435]
I would tell ABF we have a contract, seeya in 3yrs.
[/quote][quote author=leftyblack link=topic=79670.msg825551#msg825551 date=1272549299]

I would say since 1964 when the NMFA was signed NO COMPANY has ever asked us to open the contract to give more money to it's union employees. not once never!! the reopening of our contract is a ONE WAY STREET!! My contract runs thru 3-31-13 I expect it to be upheld by my chosen leaders!!!
[/quote]

So would neither of you inform the members about the financial problems that ABF is having ? Would you not let the members vote and have a choice ?

when we have a good quarter and make millions do we share, do we get raises or bonus's?? NO!! but when we have a drop in freight we are supposed to forget about our contract and abandon ship and forget what are fellow teamsters fought and died for, for these lies???? i would say....see ya in march 2013! there is a good article in transport topics about how much freight has picked up this year, and they see it turning around in 2010. but the 15% will be for three years, unless you so naive that you believe the snap back stuff.. i honestly do not understand how men and women smart enough to use a computer and hold down a good job could fall for these lies.

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=79670.msg825556#msg825556 date=1272549976]
[quote author=dave034 link=topic=79670.msg825520#msg825520 date=1272538435]
I would tell ABF we have a contract, seeya in 3yrs.
[/quote][quote author=leftyblack link=topic=79670.msg825551#msg825551 date=1272549299]

[/quote]

So would neither of you inform the members about the financial problems that ABF is having ? Would you not let the members vote and have a choice ?
[/quote]

i think we are pretty much all aware that ABF is spending their savings...
but i dont think i have ever heard of a company asking for concessions based on their savings account dwindling..thats something new ...
basically abf has quarterly meetings and videos to tell us their sob stories..we all would have known their financial status in this quarterly report whether the union came to us looking for concessions or not...i believe people are upset about the current situation based on the fact that abf is still financially able to make their business work...might have to spend some cash in the short but they will be ok in the long run...and pretty much the majority of us know that...all of this is happening at a time when corporations are using economic downslides to prey on their workers to benefit their financial situation a little better and at the same time they are still getting their raises(promotions) and bonuses(dividends) from their stock options

i think the problem we as members are having with our representatives on this issue is we all know ABF will be ok for the most part... they might just have to borrow some cash to stay moving...they are in no way in the situation YRC or any other company that asked for concessions in the past were..so why the people that represent us even came to it's membership for give backs is questionable

one more thing...i especially appreciated how the companies largest stockholder(young) said in the quarterly report...i am not getting paid ...ok maybe he does'nt get a salary anymore... but the largest stockholder had to reap some serious cash from the latest dividend payout..

I don't think that some just will ever get it. I'm just glad that most of ABF teamsters do get it! About 10% of our employees will always be lost. It will be a NO and Me personally, I think that the yes em sirs should think on just how concerned that they are about the company. If you want to give your 15% back, by all means go ahead and do so. BUT LEAVE MY PAY ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want us to know the facts. Thats what we keep hearing. Well if yahoo finance facts are correct. Under the insider transactions for ABFS it indicates that Mr young owns 1,824,855 shares. Now I am sure he has worked hard to obtain those shares and I sincerely mean that! but that is one of the facts that we should know. The numbers are so big this dumb trucker can't even add up how much money he made just today with a 7% increase in the stock value. I believe it was 2.5 times my yearly salary for a total of 127,000. ( in one day). He may not get a salary but just the talk of taking money from the working man is pushing the stock up. While we are scared to death that we are going to lose 21,000 in the next 3 years the facts are (Thank God for public Information) on April 20 2010 (9 days ago) Two hard working executives received 2662 shares and 2628 respectively. At 30 dollars a share that was over 78,000 a piece in one day. While they are requesting a pay cut form all thier employees. If any of these FACTS are incorrect I will be more than Happy to delete this post. Please pass this info on to the teamsters and the salary people at ABF.

[quote author=Teambro link=topic=79670.msg825699#msg825699 date=1272585906]
They want us to know the facts. Thats what we keep hearing. Well if yahoo finance facts are correct. Under the insider transactions for ABFS it indicates that Mr young owns 1,824,855 shares. Now I am sure he has worked hard to obtain those shares and I sincerely mean that! but that is one of the facts that we should know. The numbers are so big this dumb trucker can't even add up how much money he made just today with a 7% increase in the stock value. I believe it was 2.5 times my yearly salary for a total of 127,000. ( in one day). He may not get a salary but just the talk of taking money from the working man is pushing the stock up. While we are scared to death that we are going to lose 21,000 in the next 3 years the facts are (Thank God for public Information) on April 20 2010 (9 days ago) Two hard working executives received 2662 shares and 2628 respectively. At 30 dollars a share that was over 78,000 a piece in one day. While they are requesting a pay cut form all thier employees. If any of these FACTS are incorrect I will be more than Happy to delete this post. Please pass this info on to the teamsters and the salary people at ABF.
[/quote]

Here's why Robert Young has so much stock .

http://www.arkbest.com/about/history.asp

Will not be running for Union office. The Union had it's meeting the another night with poor attendance and has canceled the Saturday meeting becuase most members have made up their minds was the quote. So if ABF employee's are the best in LTL freight they will vote to be payed as the best in the industry. That is a nice article, r-14 about ABF corp. It would bring tears to my eyes if I was not so harden by corp greed . Wall street and stock price run up and down and the stock being at a high could be ABF did 20 million more in biz last Q,a tentative agreement, they have more money in reserve than they are tell the employee's.

I love all these conspiracy theories that abound here. First, its a serious crime to "cook the books" in any business. Ask any local plumber who pads his losses for a few years when hes being hauled off to federal prison on tax evasion charges. Do you really think they dont watch the larger companies? Remember Jeff Skillings from Enron? Still in prison. So please dont be so crazy about these baseless accusations.
Then, the main point. Vote out the freight negotiator? Maybe a good idea. However, MAYBE some people are so upset because the union DIDNT TELL US WHAT WE WANTED TO HEAR! We wanted to hear Johnson come back and tell us that he told ABF to get lost that we arent taking any cuts. Well, the numbers told a different story. I think Johnson realized that he screwed up with YRC and waited too long. YRC was in very poor shape. Heres another common point being made here, as people are saying "well, we arent broke YET". Do you wait until you are flat broke at HOME until you do something? If so, I have some stock to sell you.... You want to wait around and let the company go farther into debt and then they come after vacations and pension and health and welfare? Is that what you really want by insisting on waiting till the company is flat broke? I sure am glad that none of these guys promoting these ideas are running this company or we would have been on the street years ago.

[quote author=foxman042 link=topic=79670.msg825942#msg825942 date=1272676088]
I love all these conspiracy theories that abound here. First, its a serious crime to "cook the books" in any business. Ask any local plumber who pads his losses for a few years when hes being hauled off to federal prison on tax evasion charges. Do you really think they dont watch the larger companies? Remember Jeff Skillings from Enron? Still in prison. So please dont be so crazy about these baseless accusations.
Then, the main point. Vote out the freight negotiator? Maybe a good idea. However, MAYBE some people are so upset because the union DIDNT TELL US WHAT WE WANTED TO HEAR! We wanted to hear Johnson come back and tell us that he told ABF to get lost that we arent taking any cuts. Well, the numbers told a different story. I think Johnson realized that he screwed up with YRC and waited too long. YRC was in very poor shape. Heres another common point being made here, as people are saying "well, we arent broke YET". Do you wait until you are flat broke at HOME until you do something? If so, I have some stock to sell you.... You want to wait around and let the company go farther into debt and then they come after vacations and pension and health and welfare? Is that what you really want by insisting on waiting till the company is flat broke? I sure am glad that none of these guys promoting these ideas are running this company or we would have been on the street years ago.

[/quote]

First of all, I'll bet that you are management. Second...you're twisting words (like management), Most aren't saying it's conspiracy theories.I'm saying that they had a year to SHOW a loss, which means that they really did spend the money. Look at the SEC filings...and tell me how much in short term investments that they had last year.Third.... even if we were saying that they are " cooking the books" , what makes you think that someone in our company wouldn't try to get away with it? People are getting busted all the time for scamming for that mighty buck.You mentality of they won't do it because it's a crime is as ludicrous as this agreement.I do know one thing, a company will never survive if it has to rely on a pay cut.Face it, we just don't believe your company bullshit! I'll tell you what though, if I buy a company,you can come and work for me anytime. I could always use cheap help! And if it comes the time,because of my poor management, I can't pay your wage,I'll close the doors. No,wait a minute, That's right,you'll work for less. Is that right?

[/quote]Sounds like management to me. Probably got that call from ABF Corporate HQ to keep an eye on things and try to talk people down when prevoked. One of those Dr. Phils, or evil Mr. Rodgers that are employed by ABF.

[/quote]

That depends on how you define cooking the books. There is a great amount latitude when classifying or purchasing assets. Hence he acct joke about 2 plus 2 equaling whatever you want it to equal