well....

Nemf Falling Apart?

Hey Guys,

Just joined this this forum.....

What the heck is wrong at NEMF?

I've been a linehaul driver for this company for 7yrs. Previously I have never missed more than 2 night per month in the winter.
This year I have only worked 2 night all MONTH!

Are all the LTL companies this slow or just us?

steelmiller welcome to trucking boards. Good to have you along for the ride.
I invite you to read all the other forums as well as this one. I believe you will see that ALL carriers are very slow at this time.

Seems to be alot of truck traffic on 81 & 95 corridors but it's all longboxes. Maybe a shift in customer ordering and stocking or why pay 4 fuel surcharges for 20 skids at 5 skids at a time? Press on

Hey lukepa. The $8000 you see as revenue is fairly accurate, maybe $1K if there is an error. The discounts on the freight are already factored in when the bill is cut by the rate clerk.

NEMF Laying off personel!

Well, It's official.

NEMF is Laying off approx. 30% of it's current work force.

All of the "original" terminals will be affected.

Gone are dock, city, and road drivers.

Most terminals are laying off at least 1 supervisor and several office workers as well.

Well, It's official.

Most terminals are laying off at least 1 supervisor and several office workers as well.

Where did you hear this steelmiller? Do you work for NEMF?

P.S. Welcome to Truckingboards

Yes CFer, I have worked for NEMF for sometime.

The TM's are calling in the effected personel today.

I confirmed this info with the union business agent before I posted it.

Albany, NY has all ready completed the process.

that's too bad. hopefully the new business we're gettin will send enough work back east that at least some of them can be called back soon. we're still short-handed in cleveland, both drivers and equipment.

Well, It's official.

besides a slow economy what is causing this lay-off to happen? Did they lose a big account or something?

And why are they laying-off just after expanding into Ohio? Something does not sound good!!

besides being slow, i would guess that all the new upper management people (our pres Mike B from con-way), are trying to streamline things, do less with more. you know, the con-WAY.

I was at a stop today and a Portland driver told me they just cut OSD, dock and a driver, with more to come. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.

I really question the accuracy of 30%. We had a few let go today here in Rochester NY, but we also were heavy in the labor side since summer. I also know for fact the New Penn, CCX have laid off drivers/staff and many other companies (R&L, RDWY etc) have staff complaining that they are not even getting 40 hours a week. It is just a tight slow time and adjustments need to be made. Look at the other forums, nobody is burning up the streets. You have no name companies slicing the rates and "zero-asset" companies (CH Robinson/brokers) taking the freight and then getting LTL carriers to haul it for them.

And as a quick note. I spent time with R&L and enjoyed my time there, but they claim to never have had a layoff, the TM's make it miserable and force the employee to leave. Everyone has their way to "adjust".

30% ?

>>>The thirty percent number may indeed have been a bit high. Not all terminals laid off as many as PIT.

>>>But still, even 15 - 20% is a significant layoff for a company whose one main selling point has been, "even if we make less money, at least we have steady work"!

>>>Also, the bottom guys let go where the NEMF driving school grads.

>>>These drivers allegedly cost the company $3000 to train, between background check, drug screening, schooling, training, etc..

>>>When they where released the company "let them out" of their contract (to pay back NEMF $3000.00)

>>>So, here is my question. If the company is losing $6000 per school grad. who would cost what - to have sit around, benefits? How are they saving money???????

>>> We peddle freight in U model Macks and 40 year old trailers. This guy doesn't throw money away!

>>>What is the real game here?

Unfiar to union workers

I wasn't a drive school grad and I was let go. Also don't forget we are on "Lay-off" which creates a gray area as to weather or not the driving school grads have to pay NEMF back or not since they are still employeed by NEMF in theory.

Sorry to hear you where layed off richie0115!

I agree about the "grey area" of the lay-off in regards to the school contract.

The guys who are definitely cleared of the financial responsible of the contract are those unfortunate ones who where not yet in the union. They where TERMINATED.

If they are in the union, then they should pursue union assistance in getting released from the financial obligation of the school's contract.

Although most school grads say they do not have a copy of the training contract, it is rumored to contain wording that frees them from obligation if the company can't provide scheduled work on "two consecutive work days".

Has anyone seen this contract?

Steelmiller, Yes there was a layoff, but by my calculations it was 4-5%.....just want to clarify. Richie, your a great guy, hold on, you'll be back on in the future. I saw a CCX driver today and they laidoff close to 8 drivers in Rochester in the fall and just brought on back 1. Do not read into this and remember, Teamster shops run......."how many casuals.......for how may years"?

Adjustments need to be made for the marketplace.

Ccx 2?

Steelmiller, Yes there was a layoff, but by my calculations it was 4-5%.....just want to clarify. Richie, your a great guy, hold on, you'll be back on in the future. I saw a CCX driver today and they laidoff close to 8 drivers in Rochester in the fall and just brought on back 1. Do not read into this and remember, Teamster shops run......."how many casuals.......for how may years"?

Adjustments need to be made for the marketplace.

>>> My purpose of the original post wasn't to hagle over the percentage of the layoff MontanaNY. It was to open up a dialog concerning events that have never happened to NEMF in the recent history of this company.

Perhaps one of our new NEMF brothers from the wester can give us some perspective as to whether or not winter layoffs are a common practice at CCX? Also, are most guys full time at CCX when it is busy, or do they run some kind of casual system like UPS in order to staff the company without incuring the expense of benefits, etc.?

Finally montana, since you like math here is a true or false question:

*CCX is to CF
as Carrier/Eastern will be to NEMF*

Please keep in mind when answering that four linehaul drivers where laid of in PIT, but we now have 5-7 Eastern drivers turning Toledo, OH nightly w/ NEMF loads.

well as a former ccx driver, and current nemf western driver, i can tell you that ccx did make cuts this winter, sometime the end of last year. i was on the flex board there, and the bottom flex driver at my former terminal is now 2 spots ahead of where i was. so had i stayed, i'dve been cut. another common complaint at ccx is the out side carriers. crst, landspan, cfi, con-way truckload and others haul lots of freight for conway everyday, so again, we're not unique here. another way to look at it is if eastern wasn't haulin those 5-7 loads a day into PIT, how many more dockmen and drivers would've been laid off. now do i think that PIT should be running the toldeo turns, yeah i do, just sayin it could've been worse.

Well, here in Chicago things seem to be moving alright. Increasing freight, increasing bills... And from what i've heard working for Conway was like being in a (⊙▃⊙) death camp.