FedEx Freight | What Exactly is the Weather driving policy now?

Or could it be Safety 1st? It seems to me, when law enforcement encourages, non essential travel to be avoided, it should be avoided. Personally, I kind of enjoy a little inclement weather, to a point.

I'm sure most of us have been out there when we shouldn't have been. The highest risk is usually from others crashing into you...
Funny you bring this up, that was the reason we questioned our adverse weather policy. A little known fact, in NC, when the Gov declares a state of emergency, it's actually illegal for commercial vehicles to be on the highway....the thinking is to keep the roads clear so emergency vehicles can get to those that need assistance. Does the DOT enforce this law, not that I know of but it is on the books. When we brought this law up last year, that's when they changed their tune and starting canceling runs and running them on Sat. Not sure to the laws in other states, you may want to check for those who aren't domiciled in NC.
IMO, that's also the reason for the policy change this year.

Funny you bring this up, that was the reason we questioned our adverse weather policy. A little known fact, in NC, when the Gov declares a state of emergency, it's actually illegal for commercial vehicles to be on the highway....the thinking is to keep the roads clear so emergency vehicles can get to those that need assistance. Does the DOT enforce this law, not that I know of but it is on the books. When we brought this law up last year, that's when they changed their tune and starting canceling runs and running them on Sat. Not sure to the laws in other states, you may want to check for those who aren't domiciled in NC.

That is reasonable... And really, the way it should be.

Dont be judgmental of another persons driving ability. Lot of states have cut back on taking care of roads. Rather the driver get off the road than be in a ditch or on front of a pack doing a crawl. I for one not going to brag how many times I didnt shut down because you can shut down 100 times but only one screw up and what did bragging rights get you. Be proffesional. Cowboy days are over. A lawyer will make sure of that
It's not about bragging, it's a change in the mentality of the industry. When I started, a driver drove, regardless of the weather. I'm not saying I run balls out, I just run it. I can't tell you how many times I've taken 11 hours (or more) to run a run that usually takes 8. You slow down, but the job gets done.

It's part of being a professional and honing your craft to as close to protection as possible.

Guardrail

Here in the Midwest, we don't declare a state of emergency for a snow storm. WTF is going on in NC? Tell the state to buy a plow truck. ;)

Guardrail

Here in the Midwest, we don't declare a state of emergency for a snow storm. WTF is going on in NC? Tell the state to buy a plow truck. ;)

Guardrail
In NC we get a lot more ice than we do snow...or we get ice under the snow...so when the plows come by and scrape away the snow, they uncover a solid sheet of ice....and everyone knows most 4-wheelers in NC can't drive on a sunny day, imagine them on ice!
We'd be better of if they sold the plows, it's easier to drive on snow.

In 21 years of driving, I've shut down on my own twice for weather, ice, to be precise. I see many fair weather drivers in the LTL side of the industry. What causes it? Is it fear of losing their job? Where does that come from? Strict company rules and firing practices? Is it a lack of confidence in one's ability? You tell me.

Guardrail
Never see them Dam Holland drivers shut down, those crazy asses run wide open in that crap..... Never seen nothing like it!!! Hammer down.........

Spent many a night on 99 in the San Joaquin valley.
Vegetable country, been there years ago when I actually had to work for my money, Loaded in many a field in the valley , Bakersfield!! Made an old man out of me :) loved every minute of it at the time!!! Sacramento, that has been a long time ago....

Vegetable country, been there years ago when I actually had to work for my money, Loaded in many a field in the valley , Bakersfield!! Made an old man out of me :) loved every minute of it at the time!!! Sacramento, that has been a long time ago....
What was that town at the bottom of the grape vine, wheeler something ??? 99 would run you through all those small towns and red lites!!! I bet it has really changed over the years, Id like to take a couple weeks and ride my bike through there.

Q5EEEGD.jpg

I have never seen it in writing, but do remember being told, that if we got stuck at a customers dock, and needed a wrecker, it would be considered an occurrance. In the city, always grab an equal amount of return slips to DR's on a snow day.

I was told by safety that we are the captain of the ship. its your call not dispatch. Do what you know you can do. Remember it's your license and life on the line not somebody sitting behind a computer. The best advice I can say.