ABF | What happened to the teamsters

Cubbie bear

TB Lurker
Credits
As the Rich Get Richer, Unions Are Poised for U.S. Comeback

By Keith Naughton3 hours ago

(Bloomberg) -- After years of avoiding confrontation, the U.S. labor movement is reasserting itself. From the ports of Los Angeles to the car plants of Detroit, unions are demanding payback for sacrifices they say helped revive the economy.

Oil workers have walked off the job for higher wages and better working conditions. Dock workers have snarled West Coast ports. Personnel staffing oil terminals at the Port of Long Beach, California, are threatening to strike. In Detroit, union leaders girding for contract talks this year will push for the first raise veteran autoworkers have received in a decade.

More from Bloomberg.com: What Will Obama Give You for Your Privacy?

Union leaders are taking advantage of a tightening labor market and favorable political environment. With middle-class wages stagnating and the rich getting richer, income inequality has become a rallying cry for Democrats and Republicans alike. Reviving opportunity for all resonates with Americans who feel left out as growth picks up and the market notches record highs.

“Employers seem to think that they can push unions, the roots of the American working class, off a cliff,” said Dave Campbell, whose union local represents oil-terminal workers at the Port of Long Beach. “Well, these corporations have made a significant miscalculation in our ability to fight back. There’s a lot of labor strife now, and they could have a major confrontation on their hands.”

More from Bloomberg.com: U.S. Stocks Fluctuate Near Record Levels Amid Greek Negotiations

Campbell’s combative rhetoric evokes an era when unions had the clout to win significant lifestyle upgrades for their members. Wielding the threat of strikes and work slowdowns, organized labor helped generations of Americans join the middle class and stay there.

Union Power
In recent years, however, globalization and weak economic growth have hollowed out union power. In 1979, 21 million American workers belonged to a union. By last year, 14.6 million did. In the 1980s, strikes averaged 75 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Last year, there were 11.

More from Bloomberg.com: How the Dollar Denied Airline Gol Cheap-Fuel Boon: Brazil Credit

As the Rich Get Richer, Unions Are Poised for U.S. Comeback

By Keith Naughton3 hours ago

(Bloomberg) -- After years of avoiding confrontation, the U.S. labor movement is reasserting itself. From the ports of Los Angeles to the car plants of Detroit, unions are demanding payback for sacrifices they say helped revive the economy.

Oil workers have walked off the job for higher wages and better working conditions. Dock workers have snarled West Coast ports. Personnel staffing oil terminals at the Port of Long Beach, California, are threatening to strike. In Detroit, union leaders girding for contract talks this year will push for the first raise veteran autoworkers have received in a decade.

More from Bloomberg.com: What Will Obama Give You for Your Privacy?

Union leaders are taking advantage of a tightening labor market and favorable political environment. With middle-class wages stagnating and the rich getting richer, income inequality has become a rallying cry for Democrats and Republicans alike. Reviving opportunity for all resonates with Americans who feel left out as growth picks up and the market notches record highs.

“Employers seem to think that they can push unions, the roots of the American working class, off a cliff,” said Dave Campbell, whose union local represents oil-terminal workers at the Port of Long Beach. “Well, these corporations have made a significant miscalculation in our ability to fight back. There’s a lot of labor strife now, and they could have a major confrontation on their hands.”

More from Bloomberg.com: U.S. Stocks Fluctuate Near Record Levels Amid Greek Negotiations

Campbell’s combative rhetoric evokes an era when unions had the clout to win significant lifestyle upgrades for their members. Wielding the threat of strikes and work slowdowns, organized labor helped generations of Americans join the middle class and stay there.

Union Power
In recent years, however, globalization and weak economic growth have hollowed out union power. In 1979, 21 million American workers belonged to a union. By last year, 14.6 million did. In the 1980s, strikes averaged 75 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Last year, there were 11.

More from Bloomberg.com: How the Dollar Denied Airline Gol Cheap-Fuel Boon: Brazil Credit
Here's what happened...
Convention Center: Ready to work without Carpenters, Teamsters
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...Carpenters-Teamsters.html#yVYramXVJSLVRUbY.99

I feel like a lot of times we are our own worst enemies. Every driver is making sure someone isn't getting 1 mile more than he is. To be a union company I feel like their is not a whole lot of brotherhood

My experience is that the teamster shop can be more ticky-tack than any environment. However, when your "brother" files on that extra mile you got, it's not your fault. Nor is it coming out of your pocket. Management made the decision that resulted in the issue. Going forward, they may be less inclined to make that same mistake. So, in essence taking that future mile away from you. Keep in mind, per that wonderful contract, that mile wasn't yours to begin with. Yes, it is like a 3rd-grade playground.

It is his right to file on that extra mile and get paid if he deserves it. What I have a problem with is we have a guy at my barn lobbying for and demanding from the company and the Steeard that I recieve a warning letter for leaving early. While I did hit the cloc at 10:51 for an 11:00 by the time I put my stuff in the truck and did my PTI it was well past 11:00. If the company feels I should be disciplined and recieve a letter so be it but when is it the job of a union brother to demand the punishment of another from the company. Maybe I'm wrong but this just rubs me the wrong way way and in my option the guy is nothing more than a SCUMBAG....

Nightowl, I doubt you can be written up for punching the clock early (verbal warning possibly). From a road driver position, I think the problem is order of dispatch rather than punching the time clock early. In the southern conference, our contract calls for drivers to be “dispatched back to their home terminal in the same order as dispatched from their home terminal.” The driver may be concerned that you were trying to violate his seniority by getting to your turn, or laypoint, and then forcing the senior driver to wait on the second load. It is unfair for a driver with 20 years seniority to have to wait on a load behind a driver with 20 months seniority simply because the 20 month driver clocked out 9 minutes early. The simple way to prevent this in the future is to pretrip and put your stuff in the truck, THEN punch the time clock. Or just wait the 9 minutes before punching out.

And EX396 is correct about the ticky-tack environment but the DEVIL is in the details. Consider what Nightowl is saying and ask yourself, “would I like to be waiting 2 hours on my return load because a junior driver clocked out 9 minutes early?”

Yeah I realize this and have no problem with punching at the correct time I just didn't think it was a problem and it won't happen again. Im also not concerned with getting a letter, they're no more than toilet paper, but that should be up to the company and the company alone not a fellow employee..

Just a side note, I was on a 11:00 extra board run and this guy has a 12:01am bid. I don't see where it affected him to start with.... But oh well now I see what I'm working with now. Onward and upward....

Nightowl, I don't see why it would bother him if you were not trying to jump his or someone else seniority. As a steward, I see extra drivers clock out early often and no one says a word as long as they are not jumping seniority. I would not worry about it, but if you are, talk to your steward. This is a fellow employee problem rather than a company problem. If you are an Atlanta driver call me; I'll talk to the driver and ask what his concern is.

My experience is that the teamster shop can be more ticky-tack than any environment. However, when your "brother" files on that extra mile you got, it's not your fault. Nor is it coming out of your pocket. Management made the decision that resulted in the issue. Going forward, they may be less inclined to make that same mistake. So, in essence taking that future mile away from you. Keep in mind, per that wonderful contract, that mile wasn't yours to begin with. Yes, it is like a 3rd-grade playground.
. HATER! You couldn't keep a union job for reasons unknown and you only talk badly about us. Jealously is in all your post.

. HATER! You couldn't keep a union job for reasons unknown and you only talk badly about us. Jealously is in all your post.

Great rebuttal there Einstein. With which part of my post (that you quoted) do you disagree?

I took a withdrawal card when I accepted a job in management back around 1988. Absolutely ZERO jealousy of anything related to the IBT. ZERO. Not only do I not want anything to do with them, I wouldn't work in that environment for most of the tea in China. We all put a different price on our happiness, don't we?

Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

Great rebuttal there Einstein. With which part of my post (that you quoted) do you disagree?

I took a withdrawal card when I accepted a job in management back around 1988. Absolutely ZERO jealousy of anything related to the IBT. ZERO. Not only do I not want anything to do with them, I wouldn't work in that environment for most of the tea in China. We all put a different price on our happiness, don't we?

Then why are you always on a TEAMSTER forum? Now I know you are a management wannabe. Enough said I see you couldn't handle that either. Now who's fault was that? Not yours I bet.why Do you come here to complain and take cheap shots. What s so entertaining about that? I have seen some of your low grade union hating post and you are not very good . I can only assume your work habits reflect in your boring same old union did me wrong whinning post. So if you hate us and what we believe in then why do you keep coming here? I'll tell you why JEALOUS and we can all see it in your childish post. You are a EX so act like one and be gone. YOUR SPANKING BROTHER ALWAYS!

Last edited:
But.......Why are you here, then? Are you trucking management? If you are, I would think you'd had your fill of Union drivers and their attitudes during your working hours,.....Why in heck you'd want to spend your leisure hours poking the bear with a stick,....metaphorically speaking.....is beyond me. Are you trying to inject a "teachable moment" on us,.....as far as Labor relations go?......May I remind you you're dealing with Union truck drivers?,......the stubbornest class of citizen there is,......as you should well know. Not all Teamster shops are....."ticky-tacky",........nor do Teamsters refer to their fellow employees with a sarcastic use of quotation marks around the word "brother".....Some of us really DO believe in Solidarity. I'm truly sorry you didn't learn that during your time as a Teamster,.......I know it's old-fashioned and out of date......not stylish enough for today's high-paced business community,......But until they change the First Amendment and abolish working peoples' rights to organize,....I,...and many of my fellow posters on here will proudly believe in the basic principle of Unionism,......we may disagree with our current leadership,.....and that would be our business, not yours,....but I'd call every man....(and woman)...on here Brother or Sister,.......WITHOUT a lifting of my upper lip, or a rolling of my eyes..........kind of like....we ARE the IBT,....only we're being run by people whose philosophy of Labor relations is closer to yours .......and we'll change that, to be sure. In the meantime ,...former Brother,.....I hope you can agree that Organized Labor has vastly improved the lot of working people across the globe, historically speaking,.....And,....if you can't,......well,....thanks for the previous union dues,....you can be sure we put 'em to good use......

Then why are you always on a TEAMSTER forum? Now I know you are a management wannabe. Enough said I see you couldn't handle that either. Now who's fault was that? Not yours I bet.why Do you come here to complain and take cheap shots. What s so entertaining about that? I have seen some of your low grade union hating post and you are not very good . I can only assume your work habits reflect in your boring same old union did me wrong whinning post. So if you hate us and what we believe in then why do you keep coming here? I'll tell you why JEALOUS and we can all see it in your childish post. You are a EX so act like one and be gone. YOUR SPANKING BROTHER ALWAYS!

Muler, when the red mist clears you can go back and read my post again. I actually blamed management for the screw-up. Defended his "brothers" right to grieve the instance, implying that he shouldn't take it personally. In summary, it was a "get used to it, that environment is full of ticky-tack bull crap.

I am not always on a teamster forum. 90+% of my time is spent on the Union/Non-Union debate thread on the FedEx page.

Where did I ever say the union did me wrong? I don't believe I have ever said such a thing, because they didn't. They serve a purpose, a purpose I neither needed or wanted.

But.......Why are you here, then?

Same reason the other folks are. To discuss topics of interest.

canaryinthemine']Are you trucking management?[/QUOTE] No. My employer has clients in and out of the LTL transportation world. A large portion of our revenue does come from the LTL industry. [QUOTE="canaryinthemine said:
May I remind you you're dealing with Union truck drivers?,......the stubbornest class of citizen there is,......as you should well know. Not all Teamster shops are....."ticky-tacky".

That's subjective. They all are, some just more-so than others for a plethora of reasons.

canaryinthemine']I'm truly sorry you didn't learn that during your time as a Teamster said:
In the meantime ,...former Brother,.....I hope you can agree that Organized Labor has vastly improved the lot of working people across the globe, historically speaking,.....And,....if you can't,......well,....thanks for the previous union dues,....you can be sure we put 'em to good use......

Historically, it most certainly did. You are welcome. I don't have a say in how the Department of Treasury spends the big check I send them, so I am not too worried about what the IBT did with my pittance.

An honest answer,......And,...I'm glad you recognize Labor's contribution to the welfare of working people. A rhetorical question, then......I'm presuming you think that Union leadership is either incompetent ,....or complicit. Pardon my presumption, if I'm wrong. But,.....If you could change Union leadership to where it reached the highest level of integrity,.....would you feel that Union membership would be the best thing for working people today?

An honest answer,......And,...I'm glad you recognize Labor's contribution to the welfare of working people. A rhetorical question, then......I'm presuming you think that Union leadership is either incompetent ,....or complicit. Pardon my presumption, if I'm wrong. But,.....If you could change Union leadership to where it reached the highest level of integrity,.....would you feel that Union membership would be the best thing for working people today?

I have found it's easier to keep track of what I have said/didn't say. If it's a question I can't answer honestly, I won't answer and will tell you why. My opinions are often objectionable here, but I will always be honest with my opinions, it's how I am.

My issue with the Teamsters is an ideological one. Whether the leadership is incompetent or complicit is irrelevant as it pertains to my issues with the IBT. I wish to be rewarded based on merit. I wish to reward based on merit. It really is that simple to me.

First off EX there is no red mist. I replied to a post you made calling Teamsters terminals"More TICKY- TACK." And you referred to the Teamsters contract as" per that wonderful contract." And I replied as to how you are a angry little man because you could not keep a Teamster driving job and it was apparent in your post that I have read.

You spew hatred for the TEAMSTERS all the time and I like it because you are what helps brings others into the UNION because they don't want to deal with the likes of you. But to answer the question the Brother ask to start all this. The filing of the grievance was not on the pay for a mile or two it was filed on procedure. In his instance it was only a couple miles but if not addressed it could lead to more severe problems.

But you right away jump out in a negative response. But never fear I was here to show your short (get it) comings. lol
We all know you hate the TEAMSTERS and what we stand for so why are you still here? You lied a while back when you said you were done on this forum. I for one am not surprised. Because I know you lack in any kind of integrity. Red Mist what a joke.

I can see why you did not last as a TEAMSTER. And I can only imagine how short your management career was. Is it just me or does the word SHORT keep coming up when your name is involved. Maybe it's just me.

I like how you try breaking every post down into several different quotes ALL THE TIME!

Again making them SHORTER!

I can't help myself I tried to make this post SHORT(DARN IT)

By the way at least you called me a name that I could be proud of. Just for that I think I will check the books and see if my best friend Docker is not barred from this site. If he isn't I would really like for you two to have some meaningful debates I think he would really really like you. What do you say Brothers would it or would it not be a match made in HEAVEN? YOUR MATCH MAKING BROTHER ALWAYS!