Yellow | What is up with this equipment?

imported_Traveler

TB Lurker
Credits
I pose this question knowing full well what the answer is but I thought I would put it out there to see what everyone else was expierencing. I have for the last several months had an extremely high amount of shop time due to mechanical issues with the tractors and trailers. I cannot seem to get out on a run with out having to go to the shop. I don't nit pick and try to find every little thing I can with the trucks. I and talking about major issues such as clutches, Air leaks , structural defects , severe lack of power , and so on. One thing that seems to be a common thread in all of these cases is the lack of previous write ups being present in the tractors. Are drivers just not writing them up when they are broken or are they being thrown away once they are taken to the shop. this is a serious issue as it has to do with the safe of others.:TR10driving03:

I pose this question knowing full well what the answer is but I thought I would put it out there to see what everyone else was expierencing. I have for the last several months had an extremely high amount of shop time due to mechanical issues with the tractors and trailers. I cannot seem to get out on a run with out having to go to the shop. I don't nit pick and try to find every little thing I can with the trucks. I and talking about major issues such as clutches, Air leaks , structural defects , severe lack of power , and so on. One thing that seems to be a common thread in all of these cases is the lack of previous write ups being present in the tractors. Are drivers just not writing them up when they are broken or are they being thrown away once they are taken to the shop. this is a serious issue as it has to do with the safe of others.:TR10driving03:
I think this is a chicken or the egg question. No write ups so it don't get fixed of not fixed so no write ups. Not saying it's right but why waste time writing it up when shop just says ok to run? Being in city I've had several times where I wrote something out of service just to have next driver pull red tag and drive it. Should let DOT know but "NO Harm" part of Teamsters bylaws stops me from doing that. Company ignores it for the :butt kiss: so I don't have answers except drive it till your uncomfortable or it brakes then collect the money.

hey guys at roadway we just switched to the "yellow way" of pti forms. I find them impossible to understand the history of the truck other than the last guy, who doesn't care about looking at the eqp. At the big r we used to use a book about the the size of a checkbook and about a inch thick. it stayed with the truck until a p.m. was due. from those books you could show the shop problems that were happing at diffrent patterns, ex. looses power on long pulls, overheats at high elevation. now with the city guys running around town with the line trucks they might not see a hill for months, and when we road drivers use these trucks here comes all the problems. any body having same problems?

hey guys at roadway we just switched to the "yellow way" of pti forms. I find them impossible to understand the history of the truck other than the last guy, who doesn't care about looking at the eqp. At the big r we used to use a book about the the size of a checkbook and about a inch thick. it stayed with the truck until a p.m. was due. from those books you could show the shop problems that were happing at diffrent patterns, ex. looses power on long pulls, overheats at high elevation. now with the city guys running around town with the line trucks they might not see a hill for months, and when we road drivers use these trucks here comes all the problems. any body having same problems?

CF had the same thing with the book that stayed with the tractor, so I'm told. It would be nice to see that happen at Yellow.

CF had the same thing with the book that stayed with the tractor, so I'm told. It would be nice to see that happen at Yellow.

CF had write ups similar to what Yellow has. We called them cry cards. They were kept in a special made holder on the drivers door.

The only thing that stayed with the tractor was the signature logs for triples on the Indiana Toll Road. Those were kept in the registration books.

If you know it has no power and you say the shops never fix them, why bother taking them to the shop? Just hit the street and use the time getting to your destination. When all the drivers are switched to hourly pay you won't mind slow trucks so much.

I was told by a shop foreman that if it is not a redtag issue they are to do just the basics. And this was not a DET foreman it was one from a bigger terminal to the east. That,s all I will say. Yes these new trucks are already getting trashed and thats a damn shame. But it is all due to cutting cost. NO more new seats or anything that has to do with a non safety violation. Rob, Peter to pay Paul.

I know the feeling ddftoc.I broke down last week coming from 211 with two different trucks for a total of 8 and a half hours.The problem is like you said you can't go back and see the history of the repairs if their were any.Mean while all the city guys are running around with new line haul trucks and were driving junks on 500 plus mile trips!.....Man does that frost my ***!!!

Simple fix but will cost the driver time and the company alot of money but if done enough they would fix there trucks,,,,,,,,,pull out side the gate then call breakdown ...seeing how mach. cant leave they yard they have to call a vender ,,,,,,,have seen it at CNC still in the driveway but out side the gate

Simple fix but will cost the driver time and the company alot of money but if done enough they would fix there trucks,,,,,,,,,pull out side the gate then call breakdown ...seeing how mach. cant leave they yard they have to call a vender ,,,,,,,have seen it at CNC still in the driveway but out side the gate

I betcha the TM Gary F. would be very understanding of that there... :biglaugh:

Maintenance here is in sad shape... All I can say to each of you is this... If it's safety, contractual or an ergonomical issue, don't drive it!

BUT... Be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that you know that your objections are credible and sustainable...

Yeah I know, the big argument here is the delay in moving the freight for service, the drivers time wasted waiting around the shop for repairs (even though we are compensated, it's still irritating) and having to deal with shop supervisors that doesn't know a hammer from a screwdriver...
But it's apparent that this is what the company wants... Maybe not in a conscious sense but it is obvious that the "powers that be" give no consideration to maintaining their own investment... With that said, it's up to you DRIVER, to look out for number 1... :1036316054:

Personally, I probably ring up more shop time than any driver in Atlanta. I perform a very thorough pre trip inspection before every trip. If there is a problem (which is frequent), it goes to the shop. That's tractor, trailers, dolly... I do not leave the yard until it's right... Oh, and to save time and aggravation, I don't load any of my gear in a truck until AFTER I've completed my pretrip inspection, in case I have to swap power at the shop...

The saddest part of the story is this... When I get to my unit on the ready line, the first thing I do when I begin my pre trip is look for the previous drivers OD-199. When I find it, 96% of the time the previous driver has marked it "OK" but when I do my pre trip inspection, I'll find several problems that were more than obvious and easy to find... It's not only the shop's responsibility to maintain the equipment, it's also your responsibility to look for and report equipment problems. And then hold the shop's feet to the fire until it's repaired or replaced... Take your time. Be methodical. Know your contract (article 16). Know your legal rights (FMCSR). Check your equipment!!!

Don't jeopardize your safety, life or the lives of others just because you think that you have to hurry and get that exact express there yesterday...
It's a hell of a lot easier to work late freight on a dock than it is to scoop up lost freight out of a ditch or pick it up off of the highway...

ya boy

Maintenance here is in sad shape... All I can say to each of you is this... If it's safety, contractual or an ergonomical issue, don't drive it!

BUT... Be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that you know that your objections are credible and sustainable...

Yeah I know, the big argument here is the delay in moving the freight for service, the drivers time wasted waiting around the shop for repairs (even though we are compensated, it's still irritating) and having to deal with shop supervisors that doesn't know a hammer from a screwdriver...
But it's apparent that this is what the company wants... Maybe not in a conscious sense but it is obvious that the "powers that be" give no consideration to maintaining their own investment... With that said, it's up to you DRIVER, to look out for number 1... :1036316054:

Personally, I probably ring up more shop time than any driver in Atlanta. I perform a very thorough pre trip inspection before every trip. If there is a problem (which is frequent), it goes to the shop. That's tractor, trailers, dolly... I do not leave the yard until it's right... Oh, and to save time and aggravation, I don't load any of my gear in a truck until AFTER I've completed my pretrip inspection, in case I have to swap power at the shop...

The saddest part of the story is this... When I get to my unit on the ready line, the first thing I do when I begin my pre trip is look for the previous drivers OD-199. When I find it, 96% of the time the previous driver has marked it "OK" but when I do my pre trip inspection, I'll find several problems that were more than obvious and easy to find... It's not only the shop's responsibility to maintain the equipment, it's also your responsibility to look for and report equipment problems. And then hold the shop's feet to the fire until it's repaired or replaced... Take your time. Be methodical. Know your contract (article 16). Know your legal rights (FMCSR). Check your equipment!!!

Don't jeopardize your safety, life or the lives of others just because you think that you have to hurry and get that exact express there yesterday...
It's a hell of a lot easier to work late freight on a dock than it is to scoop up lost freight out of a ditch or pick it up off of the highway...
And sometimes there is no OD-199 in the truck, you can go to dispatch and they should have a copy if that driver gave them one...I've even heard a driver say he will tell the shop supervisor "lets get Kansas City or even better/DOT on the phone and sometimes it won't go any further than that. I will definitely tell you, from my own experience, that if K.C. is called, they view it as serious as a heart attack and will talk to the shop supervisor (guaranteed).

I was told by a shop foreman that if it is not a redtag issue they are to do just the basics. And this was not a DET foreman it was one from a bigger terminal to the east. That,s all I will say. Yes these new trucks are already getting trashed and thats a damn shame. But it is all due to cutting cost. NO more new seats or anything that has to do with a non safety violation. Rob, Peter to pay Paul.

Read your contract regarding the seats.

Read your contract regarding the seats.

Let's just put it on here for all interested parties, my brother...

Article 16 section 6...

(d) All road equipment regularly assigned to the fleet shall be equipped with an air-ride seat on the driver’s side. Such equipment shall be maintained in reasonable operating condition. All new air-ride seats shall oscillate and have an adjustable lumbar support, height, backrest and seat tilt.

Viola!... :1036316054:

may be off subject..dunno

I believe this is what is going on with our (and other) nations airlines. Pilots are raising red flags on maintenance problems. They believe the companies are trying to cut costs at the expense of passenger safety.