FedEx Freight | What is your main reason to vote in a union at FedEx Freight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In post #82 you said you would gain as you do more business with union companies. Now you say you dont. When yrc was going to vote on concessions you were all over that forum pushing for a yes vote. You're nothing more than a sh!# salesman with a mouth full of samples.

If you want to attack the content of my posts then have at it, but find a 3rd grader to read my post to you first and point out how you may have a propensity to misinterpret to suit your agenda.

Save your personal attacks for a PM.

(1) I said my company does more business with union companies.

(2) I said I don't ship with Teamster companies.

Now, think about all of the companies that do business with YRC that do so without shipping YRC, such as your fuel supplier, tire supplier, trailer parts supplier, snap-on tool guys, security company, copier repair company, uniform company, janitorial supply company.....get the picture. Those are just the people you are likely to see on a weekly basis at your facility, What about the folks that provide intellectual services to your corporate office? See that wasn't so hard, was it?

If you want to attack the content of my posts then have at it, but find a 3rd grader to read my post to you first and point out how you may have a propensity to misinterpret to suit your agenda.

Save your personal attacks for a PM.

(1) I said my company does more business with union companies.

(2) I said I don't ship with Teamster companies.

Now, think about all of the companies that do business with YRC that do so without shipping YRC, such as your fuel supplier, tire supplier, trailer parts supplier, snap-on tool guys, security company, copier repair company, uniform company, janitorial supply company.....get the picture. Those are just the people you are likely to see on a weekly basis at your facility, What about the folks that provide intellectual services to your corporate office? See that wasn't so hard, was it?
I will be sure to ship your tissues with a non-union carrier to save you some tears.

Simple, same way the manager chooses his batting order. Seniority doesn't get to choose where they are going to be in the lineup. The manager puts people in place where they are going to do the most good.

Neither one of you deserve anything beyond how many weeks vacation you get based on your length of employment. That's your reward. Not how hard you do/don't have to work. Or how much overtime you feel entitled to.
Just curious why a manager would not hand out vacation where it would do the most good.
I hope you never get a few years on your body that prevents you from being a shining star poster child.

Just curious why a manager would not hand out vacation where it would do the most good.

Valid point. We make do the best we can with who we have at work on any given day. Just like the occasional hole in the lineup.

Cab Lizzard said:
I hope you never get a few years on your body that prevents you from being a shining star poster child.

When that day arrived, I realized I would have to be a benefit to my employer in other ways. Did Joe Torre expect to take the field his entire life? Nope. When he couldn't hold his own with the young guys he used his knowledge and maturity to manage. When other people could put in the time and effort managing better than he could, he proved his value to the Yankees as an executive. You expect to still have your place in the lineup just because of what you used to do. Bull crap. You were compensated fairly for what you used to do. Perhaps that sounds a bit rough, but this sense of entitlement that the older generation complains about the younger generation having is exactly the mentality being exhibited by top seniority guys who feel entitled to the gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who doesn't work for fedex but gets a check from them every month and won't ship a union company you are really to concerned about what we do. Unless you do work for fedex or is it your just really worried about us because you care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few friends at various FedEx terminals, they all go back to Viking days or prior. So I do care about some of you ;)

Sure would be ironic if fedupal, cab lizard, or yrc-atm was one of their alter egos.

But the consequences of the crappy treatment fall on the employer not the employee. And the treatment wont get crappier with a union because the contract will curb/halt the crappy treatment. Your argument is completely invalid.

Are you saying you're treated better now then 10 years ago. I find that hard to believe with all the threats of shut downs and what not. And please don't use the "economy" excuse. All ltl's got hit hard, but only some keep using it as an excuse.

Neither one of you deserve anything beyond how many weeks vacation you get based on your length of employment. That's your reward. Not how hard you do/don't have to work. Or how much overtime you feel entitled to.

Well, that was the rules they've worked under, climbing the seniority ladder, so they do have a reasonable expectation to have more say in what they run than a new guy would have. When I started, the new guy (Me) got the stuff nobody else wanted, but I was new and understood that was the system.

The newbe that runs a little faster, (less safe perhaps?) for now, would likely run any route a little faster. So should route assignments be part of a punishment/reward process? Seniority is better than using anyone's subjective opinion on who's best.

While Road drivers do bid runs, they should also have the first right of refusal on anything extra, don't you think? Or should it go to the most desirable (In dispatch's eyes) driver.

What about truck assignments, should they not go by seniority? That too is part of the rules we've been led to believe would be there in the future, hence the expectation.

Just some logic to consider...:smilie93C_peelout:

So should route assignments be part of a punishment/reward process? Seniority is better than using anyone's subjective opinion on who's best.

While Road drivers do bid runs, they should also have the first right of refusal on anything extra, don't you think? Or should it go to the most desirable (In dispatch's eyes) driver.

What about truck assignments, should they not go by seniority? That too is part of the rules we've been led to believe would be there in the future, hence the expectation.

Just some logic to consider...:smilie93C_peelout:

We will just have to agree to disagree on these points. More baseball analogies to follow: Batting order and position played aren't decided by seniority. Somebody's subjective opinion decides on who is best where. Are you going to let the ol' dude pitch just because he wants to? The ol' dude doesn't get to bat at the top of every inning either. It rotates just like OT work with many other union jobs (police, fire and union utilities). Truck assignments go with the route. I'm not putting some mountain route in a tractor without a heater and a desert route in a tractor without A/C. The start time and tractor goes with the route. You going to let the ol' dude pitch with a catchers' mitt just because that's what he chose, while the catchers' stuck with an outfielders glove and first base glove is at shortstop?

We will just have to agree to disagree on these points. More baseball analogies to follow: Batting order and position played aren't decided by seniority. Somebody's subjective opinion decides on who is best where. Are you going to let the ol' dude pitch just because he wants to? The ol' dude doesn't get to bat at the top of every inning either. It rotates just like OT work with many other union jobs (police, fire and union utilities). Truck assignments go with the route. I'm not putting some mountain route in a tractor without a heater and a desert route in a tractor without A/C. The start time and tractor goes with the route. You going to let the ol' dude pitch with a catchers' mitt just because that's what he chose, while the catchers' stuck with an outfielders glove and first base glove is at shortstop?

2 things:

The only real problem with your analogy? The ball players did negotiate their contract based on those parameters.

Also, I'm glad you're not on the rules committee...:smilie93C_peelout:

2 things:

The only real problem with your analogy? The ball players did negotiate their contract based on those parameters.

Also, I'm glad you're not on the rules committee...:smilie93C_peelout:

You are right....likely on both accounts.

However, the point I was trying to make is that a well run operation is not much different than a well run team, managers should make decisions based on the best possibility of accomplishing the goal. Secondly, I am a fair guy....it is likely that the company would think I gave too much and the employees wouldn't think I took enough. ;)

Again, best of luck to all involved in this ordeal. It is unfortunate that you are in a situation where you believe you need union representation to fix things. Nobody wins....but at least the loss isn't one-sided right?

At least you can understand the other side, even if you disagree. I can respect that. :cool: And I do agree that the situation is indeed unfortunate :shrug:

You are likely a salesperson or lawyer, you can talk around any question asked without giving a clear amswer

You are likely a salesperson or lawyer, you can talk around any question asked without giving a clear answer

Ha. I am neither, but have been told by several people that I would be good at both. I find both of them too full of crap for my liking...but then maybe that's your perception of me, and thus your point.

I thought my answers were clear, just perhaps made too much sense and made you think "Oh, I see his point. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy. He's tricking me." ;)

If my baseball analogy didn't make it perfectly what my stance was and drew a comparison to why it makes the most sense let me make it clearer for you:

I choose who is best and where they are most effective at helping us reach the goal --- Not seniority.

Overtime determined by who is next in line, not top of the seniority list.

Tractors assigned to route not driver.

That's my ideal way. As much sense as it makes, SwampRatt pointed out that baseball players negotiated the contract with those terms in mind while FedEx employees did not. So, I conceded his point. If I were at the bargaining table, I'd throw those terms into the fray and say "look, doing it this way will make the entire operation more efficient. That's a huge plus to the company. I can see how the top seniority guys may not like it, so I am willing to increase top scale by 7.5% if they accept those terms." But, I'm not part of those negotiations...so carry on.

When UPS shows up at my door the driver comes to the wearing his hat and pants correctly and speaks English, the other company if they make it to the door before throwing the package usually have their hat on backwards and their pants hanging half off their ass and rarely speak English. Lets hear it for the guys you ship with:1036316054:

The reason they show up neat is because they face disciplinary actions if they don't. No beards or tats showing. Belt and socks along with shoes must be of approved colors. All things they must do... all things you guys complain about everyday at FedEx.

The reason they show up neat is because they face disciplinary actions if they don't. No beards or tats showing. Belt and socks along with shoes must be of approved colors. All things they must do... all things you guys complain about everyday at FedEx.

The reason they show up like that is because it's written policy in a real handbook not on a ghost rule book. We have a dress code to and it's subject to change on a moments notice and only applies to who the red shirts have a hard on for.
Without agreed to rules the company can and will fire you for anything. Without the union there is no job security.

Ha. I am neither, but have been told by several people that I would be good at both. I find both of them too full of crap for my liking...but then maybe that's your perception of me, and thus your point.

I thought my answers were clear, just perhaps made too much sense and made you think "Oh, I see his point. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy. He's tricking me." ;)

If my baseball analogy didn't make it perfectly what my stance was and drew a comparison to why it makes the most sense let me make it clearer for you:

I choose who is best and where they are most effective at helping us reach the goal --- Not seniority.

Overtime determined by who is next in line, not top of the seniority list.

Tractors assigned to route not driver.

That's my ideal way. As much sense as it makes, SwampRatt pointed out that baseball players negotiated the contract with those terms in mind while FedEx employees did not. So, I conceded his point. If I were at the bargaining table, I'd throw those terms into the fray and say "look, doing it this way will make the entire operation more efficient. That's a huge plus to the company. I can see how the top seniority guys may not like it, so I am willing to increase top scale by 7.5% if they accept those terms." But, I'm not part of those negotiations...so carry on.

So if you have an older, senior driver that in your opinion can't keep up with the younger junior drivers, you withold work from them and give it to the young bloods?

He's saying screw the employee do what is best for the company no matter what. Pretty much the same as FedEx if you don't like it there's the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.