Yellow | What should I do?

Southern Man

TB Lurker
Credits
What would you do...........

This is my situation: I have 4 years in pension fund. I got laid off in March of 2009, went to work for Conway in Aug 2009. Now I get a recall letter to go back and be number 6 on board, number 6 guy worked all last winter. This is because of a retirement plus freight picking up. Should I give up a job that I am thankful for but not paticularly fond of to go back? Any advise will be helpful.... :iamnotworthy:

Well Nite rider you will have to make that call I myself layed off at yrc working now at Conway since may and You know how Conway works you , 65-70 hrs a week always rushing .

Thay have had drivers quiting every week here at Conway they have quite a turnover here , but I am in the same situation as you I was called last week for a job at Fed-Ex national and I think I am going for it as far as YRC I I will never get called back wasted 11 years there .

Good luck on your decision
xcsp

Everyone knows how much I despise the pos company and the pos union. Putting that aside, you would basicly be leaving one non union job for another. There hasn't been a contract for the last year and a half. You've only got 4 years in so you are at least 1 year away from being vested in the pension and thats if you can find a company that pays into it. Pos yrc will never pay into it again. Con-job will be here long into the future and you'll be getting something for a retirement from them, knock on wood. Look at the financials of this company and ask yourself the odds of them surviving with 1.5 billion dollars in debt and losing market share daily. Do you know how many guys have quit to come back and be laid off a week or 2 later. The whole industry has go to hell but you are probably at one of the better companies. As much as I hate them for what they did to CF, but not the employees, they're trying to make a living like everyone else. Good luck.

I would stay with Conway. You will have a steady job and not have to worry day after day if the company is going to make it. Just make sure to sign a withdrawal card with the Teamsters union. Who knows, one day you may find that working at Conway is not so bad after all.

Nite Rider,Only you can make that choice,but Turboj has it exactly right. No one knows YRCs future and chances are conway will be around a lot longer than YRC. If you feel that your job is secure at conway,that may be the right choice. If you go back to YRC and get laid off in 2 weeks,you`ll be kicking yourself in the butt. If YRC goes under,you`ll have a lot of people behind you wanting a job with conway.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

don't listen to turbo

Number 6 on the board is a good bet..the Con-Ways will always be there

when you look over the other side of the hi-way and see a
yrc_truck3.jpg
unit or

yrc_truck6.jpg

one in the city you'll kick yourself in da azz for not coming back

[quote author=mud link=topic=81068.msg837231#msg837231 date=1276465433]
I would stay with Conway. You will have a steady job and not have to worry day after day if the company is going to make it. Just make sure to sign a withdrawal card with the Teamsters union. Who knows, one day you may find that working at Conway is not so bad after all.
[/quote]

Run!!!...

Get away from Con-Way as fast as you can.

They are not trustworthy and will dump you at their first convenience.

I have seen way too many people eco-termed...meaning fired rather than being laid off.

They are good until you can find employment elsewhere...then get the hell out.

Don't get sucked up into the "Living the Dream" nonsense...its a joke.

Rat

Pretty simple. Stay with who's giving you a paycheck. I've got 22 years in at Yellow twice with 10 years at CF in between. Don't go back to YRC. I'm makng $1200 a week at Fedex Freight doing dock and road. If YRC called me back, I'd say no thanks.

[quote author=Tinmantex link=topic=81068.msg837407#msg837407 date=1276524563]
Stay with con-way....easy....money vs. no money!
[/quote]

I wouldn't want to be in your spot your stuck between a rock and a hard place . Don't know but have been told by quit a few drivers that Con job is really bad to work for kinda like YRC with out the union {can't imagine that }. Just look around , are the a$$h--s to work for? They had the same problem when they were sleazy X . :shift:

[quote author=pup driver link=topic=81068.msg837629#msg837629 date=1276564008]
I wouldn't want to be in your spot your stuck between a rock and a hard place . Don't know but have been told by quit a few drivers that Con job is really bad to work for kinda like YRC with out the union {can't imagine that }. Just look around , are the a$$h--s to work for? They had the same problem when they were sleazy X . :shift:
[/quote]

Run!!...Don't Walk to the nearest exit!!!!...

Get away as soon as you can...

This is a bastardized company run by bastards...

At any hint of a change in the market this company will decrease your pay and benefits...'enhance your renumeration'...or economically terminate you...all the while patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

If you get a job here...keep looking in earnest...this is an interim thing...nothing here for the long haul.

The sooner you can get out the better you will be.

I have worked for these losers for too many years to ever expect anything to get better...it is only going to get worse.

The bean counters rule here...and the president is the worst one of the bunch

Rat

[quote author=Barney link=topic=81068.msg837341#msg837341 date=1276492696]
Pretty simple. Stay with who's giving you a paycheck. I've got 22 years in at Yellow twice with 10 years at CF in between. Don't go back to YRC. I'm makng $1200 a week at Fedex Freight doing dock and road. If YRC called me back, I'd say no thanks.
[/quote] Your family comes first.

Not to get gushy here, but when I was in much the same situation, I prayed that I be led where God wanted me, not necessesarily where I wanted to be. Worked for me...I'm in another job I hadn't even thought of before.

Best of luck to you!

I agree with jimmy g may the good lord direct you to a company that will give you comfort and peace and that you may provide for your family for years to come . :thumbsup:

[quote author=mud link=topic=81068.msg837692#msg837692 date=1276575482]
[quote author=Barney link=topic=81068.msg837341#msg837341 date=1276492696]
[/quote] Your family comes first.
[/quote]

Damn right!...your family comes first.

Con-Way does not recognize that.

They come first in their own minds...everything else is secondary.

Rat

I have 18 years with the company and see wages and pensions cut by roughly $18,000 per year per employee, and the company still is losing money. I took the lao and am very happy. Follow your instincts and sleep good knowing you FOLLOWED YOUR INSTINCTS. Good luck.