New Penn | What terminals have been using cartage for citywork?

slavenomore

TB Legend
Credits
Theyve been using local lowlife cartage companies to hook up to trailers at our dock using the excuse that they need to keep customers and nobody is applying.
I was told that Baltimore and maybe 10 others including Boston are using them.
These guys get paid $19/hr w/ no bennies.
Who else is using them?
East Coast Freight Director was notified before they even hit the dock. His answer was that they can under article 32.

How about you Slave? File, and make sure everybody on your seniority list is working everyday. Keep track of the cartage and file for them to put more people on the list. YRCF had all the answers with their MOU'S let them find employees if the union can't supply them. Does your local allow retirees to work x amount of hours a month? If so get the word out to these men, I'm sure there are a few looking to make some extra dollars.

We have guys who just retired back working.
I want to file and will. I have one ready and am looking for more to seeif any have accomplished anything.
This hasnt been done here since North Penn went down in 92 or before is what im told.
They tell me theyre caught up and done with yhem soon but my trust in YRC at top is low.
I agree that its theyre job to hire.
Wework hard here and its the triple digit guys who are slacking and lazy for doing thus and not finding help. Its either intentional and a lie or they are incompetant and not trying hard enough ad deserve less than $50 grand/ year.
They have a safety department which can hazmat train guys to get the endorsement.

Another thing I'd like to know is why all terminals arent using them.
I want to know if certain locals or rules discourage it more. maybe panel decisions or ANYTHING to get them OUT.

hey npme has been useing cartage carriers for 22 yrs. or more. #03 used usa cartage for western md. deliverys an -p ick/ups for years. . most terminals have used them for areas where there are not pickups for years. blt. for DC deliverys. #14 for S jersey stuff., who ever for eastern shore etc. whats happening in reading is u cant even find people to hire and make deliverys for ur regular freight areas. #03 is even makeing some of ur p/u and putting us short of drivers. YRCW has f%^&*ed up this company so much we cant do anything like npme use to includeing next day delivery. i understand you want no cartage but really nothing is going to get any better as long as those a#$holes in overland park take all of our profits and divey it out as they please. than threatan to close us cause our comp charges are to high..spend our profits on there package demensioner machines while we go with shortage of trailers and rental tractors to get through the day. for once it seems like you dont really see the big picture. as we have all been told over the years

They have 3 new TM type positions plus the regional....
plus a few more dock supervisors here and 03. Between them if they each took a day to drive downtown to welfare, unemployment and some kind of church coalition they could find help. If they look up JB or NFI or logistic compsnies dedicated acounts they could find help. They need to hit the streets to find them........thats if they really want to keep the peace. There is no peace with nondues paying enemies at our dock hauling our freight. This isnt a right-to-work state. We pay dues. They dont. Those companies are the reason we're in this mess....I geuss giving them work to buy new equipment will really help in the long run?

how long have you been at npme> jb or nfi isnt what is killing npme,npme took on any non union companys in the past and we still always ended up on top. we had good management and npme philosiphy kept us at the top because we out preformed any one else. yrcw is what has drug this company down and it is what will keep us from ever getting back to what we once were. as far as hitting the streets to find help well hell there looking for a npme recruter. to find help. nobody young wants to do this job, do you get that. while npme management has turned to crap also. 100% of the reason is YRCW they have turned this company into s#$t. this little battle your fighting in reading should be directed to overland park. really you should do your job the best you can and hope we stay open till we can retire.

how long have you been at npme> jb or nfi isnt what is killing npme,npme took on any non union companys in the past and we still always ended up on top. we had good management and npme philosiphy kept us at the top because we out preformed any one else. yrcw is what has drug this company down and it is what will keep us from ever getting back to what we once were. as far as hitting the streets to find help well hell there looking for a npme recruter. to find help. nobody young wants to do this job, do you get that. while npme management has turned to crap also. 100% of the reason is YRCW they have turned this company into s#$t. this little battle your fighting in reading should be directed to overland park. really you should do your job the best you can and hope we stay open till we can retire.
its our only option

About 10 years.
My comments about JB and NFI were a suggestion that those are the kind of places that management can find drivers.
The only kind of places. Their pay and bennies are next to welfare if they need a doctor.
Ours is $52/ month undet our dues. They are all ears. The Welfare office and Unemploymrnt office ate other suggestions.
The churches also especially in downtown Reading.

They tell me they cant find drivers snd me( eho is rushing around all day) and the Local should find them. BS. I dont get paid big bucks. They do. Spending money on ads aint doin it. Truck driving schools. another. I actually talked to NFI guys who are all ears about a union job. They need hazmats though but hsve over 10 years driving.
It has been a very very angry situation hete with the cartage EVERY day. We want them gone. They tell us their leaving.An old timer told me Mr. Arnold favored lots of workers and little management. This IS YRC BS we're fighting.
One of the 2 cartage compsnies atually pays $30/hr. Their lucky if our guys dont quit and go thete. The othet dont pay.

Lmao!!! You didn't see this coming?? Guys started leaving after the 2nd MOU.. what did you think would happen after you voted in this last POS MOU?? Cinnaminson lost 7 guys this year and more are leaving.. NPME has turned into a **** company. With **** equipment.. All they're pushing for now is the stupid ass safety meetings.. And now they want to form a safety committee!! I've been here over 26 years and this place is a joke anymore.. Loaded up with part time dock workers, drivers just out of school.. And now we have some new century drivers and all they do is **** and moan about the stops or going out with 10 deliveries!!! Then they ***** about paying dues but the next sentence they want to know when their health benefits start!! It's a ******* joke!! Sad part is, too many guys voted this in and now they're seeing the effects of it.. As far as the cartage, we have used one since I've been here to take the shore freight for deliveries.. All deliveries with none or very little freight to be picked up there. I filed a grievance over it and the decision was to give it to YRC since they go there.. Guess what, YRC COMPLAINED ABOUT THE FREIGHT AND STOPPED TAKING OUR FREIGHT!!! That says it all about that company!!

I sat in on the safet committee meeting here. The idea is fine but if you're broke nothings gonnaa get fixed. I think i made 2 comments. One was that if we're gonna have meetings like this then you can cut the corporate safet departmentand put the money in our pension. Instead it is the new businessmans way of getting feathers in the cap. Come up with an expensive idea and get a big salary snd budget ehich loses more than it makes and have others do the work.

I have an idea!
Lets have 10 workers sit around for an hour doing the paid work of the safety dept while the dock is backed up...and have cartage take deliveries who dont make pickups.
Ill take anither$50,000 for that idea.
thats business college education today.

our tm and salesmen have been staking out land air and estes waiting in the parking lot for city workers to arrive and start there day. "come to new penn we need u now"! n dont forget safety starts with u! rite here rite now!

we need drivers but dont have enough tractors and were always short on trailers. remember we drug the profits down for regionals because of all the daily and weekly rentals we had.. course our over the top workmans comp hurt earings also. why does yrcw even still keep us around? thats right they need interline carrier for there star fleets holland and reddaway. oh by the way i here we have a new president. guess well have to see if thats true or not.

If there is such a driver shortage why would know it all Fred Smith build here?
He was gonna build the biggest Ground hub on earth on Bethlehem Steel property. I dont know if that changed and switched to thiz but zGround would need drivers and im sure hes gonna spend money to build. Driver shortage? This is our delivery area..

Morning Call