Estes | What to Expect?

localboy2

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all, I start at the York,PA terminal on Wednesday next week for P&D extra board. What should I expect to start? Just left food service though so I feel like I'm ready for anything.

Are you p&d or xtraboard. If you left a food service outfit you'll feel like your retired here no matter what your job title is. No kiddin

Hello all, I start at the York,PA terminal on Wednesday next week for P&D extra board. What should I expect to start? Just left food service though so I feel like I'm ready for anything.

Either way, whether p&d, or xtra board, you should be doing easier work, than running those 200 lb carts up and down the ramp. Xtra board you will not even know you are working !! lol

Thanks guys, I figured as much. Food service is in a class of it's own. I signed on for p&d but the asst.mgr told me I wouldn't have a set start time. Anywhere from 7 am to 3 pm he said. I'm fine with that plus a Tues -Sat work week. I love it already! Lol,at my last gig, I'd be gearing up to go out again tonight!

Hey localboy2 it's been a couple week of p+d now so how's it going? You must be busy or mad at p+d and that's OK cause most of the p+d guys at 028 are usually mad too. I wouldn't mind p+d in a smaller market area but not in a large urban area like Chicago. Poor guys really earn their money.

Things might be picking up for us real soon with this Fedex thing unfolding. I'm thinking we might get some of our old customers back. When you haul freight for free everyone loses. I just hope we don't go into another hiring frenzy

Hey guys,sorry I've been away so long..I got caught up in the job! So far it's been great; I trained for a week then they put me out on my own. I've been doing a lot of trailer switches( lot of paperwork) and some deliveries , also lot of pick ups. Like someone said..it's real easy money, just do your job and lay low. The only kinda thing that sucks is looking for a different truck each day here at 024..big shortage right now. Also, it's slowed down somewhat this week and the temps are being let go.
Other than that, I'm sitting in a break room at a customers while I get unloaded..sure beats running down the side ramp with a 300# cart..no complaints here!!

Equipment Observations from 028

Good to hear back from you localboy. That equipment thing is a problem almost everywhere. Seems like the TM's at some locations keep a better handle on it than others. At my yard it's a free for all. I've had drivers try to take my truck before I even get my stuff out. And usually when I come back in to leave for another week, IF the truck is there, its usually not fueled, dirty inside, smoked in with ashes all over the place and smells bad. So what I'm saying is that's just the way it is and something you put up with for the money.

Hope you know what you are gettin into workin for estes.
Unless they have changed you don't qualify for vacation pay
for 2 years. I spent 13 months there. When I quit they kept
my last weeks paycheck. Something I signed away in the paperwork.
Took it to the labor board, They said Estes had the right because I signed
the papers when I started. If you get fed up with their crap and quit, just go
No notice, Theyre gonna keep the money anyway.

Your vacation time is availiable after 1 year but you have to work 2 years for the 1 week vacation to completly be yours. You get so many hours each month or each quarter. If they owe you money they will pay you, if you owe them money they will keep it. It's fair but I think they should be more clear on this thing because many drivers arn't aware of it. My orientation lasted maybe 20 minutes max. Lots of signing of things I haven't read completly in those 20 minutes. I think they should slow down on the vacation pay part of it so most drivers don't get their heart broke when a $1200 much needed check don't arrive.

It's fair but I think they should be more clear on this thing because many drivers arn't aware of it. My orientation lasted maybe 20 minutes max. Lots of signing of things I haven't read completly in those 20 minutes. I think they should slow down on the vacation pay part of it so most drivers don't get their heart broke when a $1200 much needed check don't arrive.

orientation?? it consisted of watching a couples of videos while signing a bunch of papers. it seemed like they were in a hurry to get me out there and let me figure everything out by myself...i still love this job though

Most of the orientation is short to the point.Not a lot of hands on.Could be a little more involved but as most drivers out there they just want to get to work. But really need to take the time and try to read and ask questions on some of the paperwork.Theirs quit a bit. So far everything is going good.Drive and deliver what more could you want.