Wheeler braking system

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
At Sysco we are required to have operating brakes on our wheelers, we use padde brakes where the paddles fall to the rear on the tires, there is a steel or something rod from the brake handle to the paddle axel.

I went to help my friend friday and used his wheeler to roll a load down the ramp, his is a test braking system, still paddle brakes but the paddles fall to the front and from the brake handle there are 2 cables running to the paddle axle, these brakes were so awesome!!!

My question is, do any of you guys use this system? If so how do you like it? This system is much lighter, its really cool stuff, I want it on mine!!!

When they put it on mine, it made the dolly noticeably heavier. The older brakes had a tendency to flip over, especially if your tires were low. I guess I like the new ones, I use them all the time because of the levers are easier to grab. They don't brake as well as the old ones, but better for me because I never used the old ones anyway. I had to have them trim the levers back a few inches because they would hit my thighs when I went down the ramp. It's my understanding that they no longer make the old ones, so they can't get parts for them. If you want them, break yours, they will be forced to upgrade. The only other thing is it gets in the way of the baggy on back, so if I put a 1 gal split in it, it leans against the cables and makes the brakes rub a little. I used to put film wrap in the baggy, but can't anymore.

Whats a wheeler or a dolly?

Like I said..cush!! Any man that does 1400-1600 cases and gets done in 6 hrs has a cush job, and you don't have a wheeler..I'm jealous...you should get a 2nd job doing hard labor, that would make me feel better, could you do that for me?

Dolly (noun)

1 : a shackle for the hand or wrist
2 : something used as a restraint

Examples of DOLLY

<Dolly prevented the driver from roaming beyond a very small area>
<the warring groups need to shake off the dollies of their troubled past and learn to live with one another in peace>

Origin of DOLLY
Middle English dolly, from Anglo-French, from Latin dollicula handle, diminutive of dollae shackles

Check out this baby:

20120518_193715.jpg

20120518_193701.jpg

u guys at other shops use brakes? your nuts, just do it the old school way and drag a tire on the one of the ramp rails! once you learn it, your brakes will collect dust, and you will be sick of the extra weight!

u guys at other shops use brakes? your nuts, just do it the old school way and drag a tire on the one of the ramp rails! once you learn it, your brakes will collect dust, and you will be sick of the extra weight!

We aren't allowed to use a wheeler without brakes Bill, its Sysco OK's policy, they say it saves our knees, my brakes have been busted for 6 months, the boss has known about it for 6 months, if I try and use them they grab and I'll do an end over, I just use my massive muscles to hold the wheeler back when going down the ramp...thats right, table muscle is good for something..LOL!!!

I used the ramp thing at first, then I just pulled against it. I never used the brakes until I got the new ones, the old ones were junk, the new ones with my new tires rock.

Again... what am I still doing up?

We aren't allowed to use a wheeler without brakes Bill, its Sysco OK's policy, they say it saves our knees, my brakes have been busted for 6 months, the boss has known about it for 6 months, if I try and use them they grab and I'll do an end over, I just use my massive muscles to hold the wheeler back when going down the ramp...thats right, table muscle is good for something..LOL!!!

really? it seems like USF is going away fom brakes, since no one uses them, of course, our maintenace guys is pretty hit or miss on wheeler upkeep as well.

It really seems like what would save our knees would be downloading us, and giving us less cases and stops. I endo'ed about a month ago, on an older trailer with a steep ramp with worn teeth, and it sucked! if I wasn't loaded so heavy, I probably would not have been trying to go so fast.

16 yrs and still can't get the ramp thing down. If she sticks it usually gets ugly. At my former employer we had drum brakes on our two wheelers and you could literally stop on a dime. I haven't seen anyone with those types of brakes since. You would figure they would be common place seeing that it was a magliner cart.

16 yrs and still can't get the ramp thing down. If she sticks it usually gets ugly. At my former employer we had drum brakes on our two wheelers and you could literally stop on a dime. I haven't seen anyone with those types of brakes since. You would figure they would be common place seeing that it was a magliner cart.

Those drum brakes, at least the ones I used make the wheeler heavy, mine was real heavy on a magliner, at Tankersley I used to use the wheel on the side of the ramp, worked well, the ramps Sysco has don't matter if I have air tires or the solid kind, it I hit the side of the ramp, I'm going over, and yes thats ugly!

I would too, I don't know how they would feel about us taking ours home, we lock them up every night on rails.

I'm out of a shuttle yard, we lock ours up too, I either take mine home for the weekend if it needs maint., or I bring my tools, I always keep a file handy, keeping the plate smooth and sharp makes it easier to slide into a stack if I pre stack cans or kicking out of a stack, the burrs on the blade really hang it up.

I had a wheeler that would stop on a dime, but it was one of those goofy rounded top wheelers, with the D shaped handle that sticks out in the back. That was also the design flaw, because the brake lever was a T handle that stuck up into the middle of the D. every time you needed the brakes, it was heavy enough that you couldn't lean forward to grab the D handle and use the brakes. We have very few wheelers with brakes, and the ones that do, all have the lever or hoop on the bottom handle. Totally worthless, just easier to drag the wheel on the rail.....

I'm out of a shuttle yard, we lock ours up too, I either take mine home for the weekend if it needs maint., or I bring my tools, I always keep a file handy, keeping the plate smooth and sharp makes it easier to slide into a stack if I pre stack cans or kicking out of a stack, the burrs on the blade really hang it up.

You are right, i started noticing that myself. I store my wheeler while I'm moving under my stack of empty pallets, and the plate is frequently scraped up from nails sticking out of the bottom. If I was allowed to, I would take the thing home and work on it, since the 4 top frame bolts are loose on it too. If I load it heavy, or bounce it down the stairs, you can watch the thing flex back and forth where the bolts holes are being egged out from being loose.

Oh well, our "safety" guys solution to wheeler problems is "down-load your wheeler". Since we get paid by the hour, oh well!

You are right, i started noticing that myself. I store my wheeler while I'm moving under my stack of empty pallets, and the plate is frequently scraped up from nails sticking out of the bottom. If I was allowed to, I would take the thing home and work on it, since the 4 top frame bolts are loose on it too. If I load it heavy, or bounce it down the stairs, you can watch the thing flex back and forth where the bolts holes are being egged out from being loose.

Oh well, our "safety" guys solution to wheeler problems is "down-load your wheeler". Since we get paid by the hour, oh well!

I went to help a guy recently, of course I brought my wheeler, he loaded mine, I ran it, the next load was on his, it was so loose, I told him he could run the loads or load my wheeler only, it was so loose I thought it was going to fall apart going down the ramp, I couldn't believe he let it get that bad especially since we are allowed to work on our own, I have seen guys that don't know how to change stuff, our boss will even help us or do it himself.

I would prefer to do it myself, but, since its THEIR equipment that I am using, I would expect to be paid for it, since I'd be fixing and maintaining THEIR stuff. Do you get paid to work on it?