Yellow | When I wave my hand at you...

prounion

TB Lurker
Credits
Brothers and Sisters too, when I wave my hand at you, while in the yard, in the city, or tooling down the highways of this great nation we live in, its not because I think I know you. Its just a small reminder to let you know I have your back and together I will stand with you. I can only hope that your blank stare and complete disregard, does not mean the opposite. Piece and love to all:smilie_132::smilie_132:

Sorry for the grammar.

Wave

I agree with you 100%, I know the dock and Hostlers don,t want us u/e guys in their barns and we really don,t want to be on the dock anyway but have to do what we are told . I waved at several hostlers as I was hooking to leave and they just stared at me,might as well have flipped me off,I never thought brother teamsters would treat each other this way. When on the dock I tell the guy I,m working with that I'm not there to take his work and will do only what he wants me to do and no more ,so most of the time I just lean against a post and watch,easy money but very boreing and hard on old legs.This is very difficult to change from being pushed to stay busy to just standing around and out of sight. If the company would get us ready and back to our own barn we could work the dock there and at least be of some benifit to them.I,ll continue to wave and let my brothers and sisters know that I am there for them if they need me.:smilie_132:

I wave or nod if my hands are full on the yard.
I wave to all my brothers and sisters when i am rocketing down the super slab unless i am busy eating changing channels or looking the other way for some reason. So i try not to think the worst if someone doesn't wave back they might be having a real bad day of they could be busy. When i wave 90% of the ABF wave back @ me 70% of Yellow wave.
Roadway hardly ever wave back but i still wave. I wave at UPS package and freight
and i flash them over always.
I wave for the same reason you do proud union to say HI brother or sister.
We are in this thing together for better or worse. Some of the NON unions wave
if i flash my lights for them to come over 50% don't blink back.
The more north east you go the less wave back i find.
When i was with Yellow and i would go east into Ohio no Yellow would wave the all thought we were taking there work or something.
I don't think enough Teamsters think of Teamsters at other companies as brothers and sisters.
My 2 cents

May I comment?

Although my husband isn't Union (he took ConWay because at that time it paid good and all of the Union jobs had long lines of people waiting to get on full time) he has had some of the best friends on the road with other companies. Some Union and some not.

They are L/H and talk to each other on CB's to keep each other awake, if one pulls over another would come along maybe 15 minutes later and if they saw the driver still on the side of the road, they would pull over to check. Union or not, they looked out for one another.

Recently a driver of another company couldn't be found. APB on CB was sent out by the guy's company. One of ConWay's drivers found him, called his barn for him. Turned out the guy caught a stomach virus and was visiting the bushes, um.. no toliet paper needed tho LOL!

Sure everyone is in competition and wants to do the most for their jobs and security but it boils down to all are human, Union or not. Everyone needs to look out for each other and this good ol' USA could be back where it was before: everyone helped everyone.

I do see where you are coming from: Unions are formed for the betterment of the worker, they are a UNION and as such should stand together and work together. Worse thing is: divide and conquer.

Wonderful replies, we are all doing the same job out there. I don't care what name is on your door! We all know what kind of life it is out there, whether you are LTL or Longhaul, most of us are treated like second class citizens. But, they sure don't mind when we show up at their grocer with their toilet paper, do they? They forget everything comes by truck.

First off, Thanks for your input drivers wife. You aren't butting in. Hope you and yours are well.

I used to have a plastic hand on a suction cup that bounced around for waving. People laughed because I would still reach up and flick it to wave to others. They asked why have it if I still have to have a hand free to run it? I didn't care though. That was when the "baby on board" signs were popular, not sure if you can even get them anymore. Some smart-buttock broke all but the middle finger off but I kept it anyway as I was running the CT turnpike at the time and found it just as "Hand"ee.

got u covered

May I comment?

Although my husband isn't Union (he took ConWay because at that time it paid good and all of the Union jobs had long lines of people waiting to get on full time) he has had some of the best friends on the road with other companies. Some Union and some not.

They are L/H and talk to each other on CB's to keep each other awake, if one pulls over another would come along maybe 15 minutes later and if they saw the driver still on the side of the road, they would pull over to check. Union or not, they looked out for one another.

Recently a driver of another company couldn't be found. APB on CB was sent out by the guy's company. One of ConWay's drivers found him, called his barn for him. Turned out the guy caught a stomach virus and was visiting the bushes, um.. no toliet paper needed tho LOL!

Sure everyone is in competition and wants to do the most for their jobs and security but it boils down to all are human, Union or not. Everyone needs to look out for each other and this good ol' USA could be back where it was before: everyone helped everyone.

I do see where you are coming from: Unions are formed for the betterment of the worker, they are a UNION and as such should stand together and work together. Worse thing is: divide and conquer.
first off, i've worked both sides of the coin. but before that I am the son and grandson of teamster's. 2nd... i'm very happy you are visiting yellow's forum.,,because,..you are right in many (if not all) of your ideas about how the trucking family should be. Since I can only go 60 or 62 in a Yellow truck I try to signal everyone in after they pass me, whether they thank me or not. Since we are all on the same road I try to wave at everyone (union or not). I think Jimmy Hoffa (not James) wanted it to be this way. Everyone united. (no one divided).

you are good people

May I comment?

Have you ever seen the movie Hoffa? When he is in the van taking him to prison and all the truckers are on the side of the road he is traveling while going to jail?...

No, I haven't gotten to see it. Actually I'm not much into tv. USUALLY because as soon as my husband leaves he has his shows picked out and I record them for him, watching and cutting commercials out so he can come in, watch a 2 hour show in hour and half. Then he hogs the remote on the weekends LOL!!

I like it over here, very friendly. I'll get flamed, probably, from the ConWay board but there are several there that think that I should be cleaning house or something else rather than be in "man's business".

My husband is a driver, his job is a big part of his life, we've been together over 30 years and we talk about a lot of stuff, up to and including his job. I don't run his business but I do like to read and find out what is going on so that when he does talk to me I have an idea.

As for mostly kidding or joking around, I do that, for the most part, because I don't feel that I should be telling a TRUCK DRIVER how to do his job. I do have opinions (whatya mean, not all of them are right??:chairshot:) Of course I'm not going to have all of the information correct or be very knowledgable since I don't work for any of these companies or drive a truck. I don't mind learning.

Also tension gets pretty thick on the ConWay board and I try to ease it. I do a darn good job of uniting them, they love to get together and blast me :hysterical: NOT all, but a few :funky: . I get the ol' ARE YOU REALLY A WOMAN OR A MAN ACTING LIKE A WOMAN??!!?? I've sent out my pic to a few just so there's no doubt. And no, it's not a fake one! If I did that, then I'd find a model's pic and send that out

Last, but not least, I don't post everything I know. My husband tells me things that he doesn't want on a public board and I respect that. If I read something here and talk to him about it, get his opinion but he doesn't want it on the board, then I don't post.

I try to put in an outsider's perspective also to get people thinking outside their box. Or show them what it looks like to someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight, sorta.

Oh and why am I on computer so much? I have a bad heart and can't do much. :1036316054: Hence the reason my husband can't leave ConWay and start over besides being close to retirement. He's working all of his hours he can to help pay our 20% of my future $250,000 heart surgery. I've applied for an at home job, pick my own hours and it'll help him and I'll still be on the computer alot! LOL!!

when i was a city driver i wave to everyone, or everyone would wave at me. i don't see that since i went to linehaul. hell...it's hard enough to get a wave or blink back when i trip the courtesy lights when passing another Saia truck near a terminal. I flash everyone over as well unless they blow my doors off...b/c i figure they don't really need it if they are 1/4 mile ahead of me by the time i reach the switch. I thought i'd put my 2 cents in, we are all out there trying to do the same thing and are united in one way or another. :wavey:

I agree with the driver who stated that ABF waves more than Yellow and Roadway not at all. I have seen the same thing. I also saw a rise in guys being rude, right about the time Yellow expanded the sleeper operations. It seems that alot of the guys they are hiring now are from the bottom of the barrel. I've seen a real drop in the quality of the people we are seeing.

I remember it used to be hard to get hired by Yellow. You had to have real road experience. Now most of our casuals have never pulled doubles, or even been out of the state. I've run into several that were barely out of truck driving school, and had to ask directions to California!

There seems to be less pride in being a teamster, no one appreciates their job. I just know that I'll keep waving, and stopping if I see a brother or sister broken down on the shoulder, not caring what everyone else is doing. Who knows, maybe I'll inspire someone to do the same.:1036316054:

Well I drive for Holland And let me tell you, I cant get a Yellow driver to wave at me if my life depended on it!!!! The "shoes" are still out there flashing there billboards when we pass and I feel guilty if they catch me off guard and I cant reach the switch in time! I will get them on 33 to acknowlege if I miss'em!!!!:1036316054:

I had the same problem w/Holland drivers!!! Up North, most Roadway driverswaved however down here they don't. I was shocked today when a Big R waved at me by Memphis.

im from con-way

i wave to all non union or not, i flash you in front of me to change lanes and blink back when u do the same....union or not...

when i see a cop on the opposite side of the freeway, i let every truck coming know, if i can, unioin or not...

I've pretty much given up on flashing during the day, (that sounds *****, I know) or turning off the headlights to let someone over at night. Most trucks blow by me at 80 MPH everywhere except Ohio. Then they become chickensh*ts and poke along and are on the CB yelling for a bear report. Speaking of flashing. When did it become mandatory to flash high beams to let someone know when it's OK to come back over.

I've pretty much given up on flashing during the day, (that sounds *****, I know) or turning off the headlights to let someone over at night. Most trucks blow by me at 80 MPH everywhere except Ohio. Then they become chickensh*ts and poke along and are on the CB yelling for a bear report. Speaking of flashing. When did it become mandatory to flash high beams to let someone know when it's OK to come back over.

lazyness i suppose...

Speaking of flashing. When did it become mandatory to flash high beams to let someone know when it's OK to come back over.

It was never mandatory but simply an act of courtesy performed by a driver with class (typically an older, long time driver). Unfortunately this type of behavior is being seen less and less often. :1036316054:

When a trucker is trying to get around me (rare cause I speed, I admit it LOL) I back off and then flash my lights to let him/her know it's safe.

It was never mandatory but simply an act of courtesy performed by a driver with class (typically an older, long time driver). Unfortunately this type of behavior is being seen less and less often. :1036316054:
Flashing high beams is NOT an act of courtesy! An older, long time driver would not do it!!!!! When you are driving all night long do you really want to check the mirror for clearance and get blinded? I would think not!! If you cant cut the headlights for a second to show courtesy then I would rather you sit there in your stool and do nothing! What a friggin joke, "older, long time driver" is gonna blind somebody with high beams! Ive been on this topic before and it burns me up, so, sorry if I seem agitated but I am. Thats it I'm taking off tonight because Ive had enough of "older, long time drivers" blinding me this week!!!!!:nutkick:

Flashing high beams is NOT an act of courtesy! An older, long time driver would not do it!!!!! When you are driving all night long do you really want to check the mirror for clearance and get blinded? I would think not!! If you cant cut the headlights for a second to show courtesy then I would rather you sit there in your stool and do nothing! What a friggin joke, "older, long time driver" is gonna blind somebody with high beams! Ive been on this topic before and it burns me up, so, sorry if I seem agitated but I am. Thats it I'm taking off tonight because Ive had enough of "older, long time drivers" blinding me this week!!!!!:nutkick:

Gee shoeman, maybe you need to wear your sunglasses at night! :joke: :joke:

Since I'm just a youngster compared to you (I only started to drive TT in 1966) I have a different take on flashing high beams. When I'm driving and passing someone (a rare event with our equipment) I usually keep my eyes on the road ahead of me. When I'm clear and it's OK to move back over and the other guy gives me a quick high beam flash I can usually notice that without having to stare into my mirror. Of course I do then check the mirror just to be sure I'm clear before moving over. I don't mind the quick flash myself and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue!

PS - Maybe someone can start a business making up "Do Not Flash" bumper stickers for those like you who object to the "flash" technique. :hide: