TForce | when should my seniority date be

GearJammer88

TB Lurker
Credits
ok heres my situation, i signed an ad hoc city driver bid and was awarded it on friday january 29th.....today was the day of my road test and i passed

i think that since i was awarded the bid and am completely qualified that my full time seniority date should be either today or friday...management is saying it wont be until i start getting trained which could be up to a month cuz i gotta wait on my uniforms

i dont agree with that at all, its not my fault they didnt get me my uniforms earlier....i talked to a couple stewards and the business agent and none of them know cuz not many part time dockworkers get there CDL and go full time

Usually, the first day you work as a full time employee in your classification will be your seniority date. (NMFA; Central States)

ok heres my situation, i signed an ad hoc city driver bid and was awarded it on friday january 29th.....today was the day of my road test and i passed

i think that since i was awarded the bid and am completely qualified that my full time seniority date should be either today or friday...management is saying it wont be until i start getting trained which could be up to a month cuz i gotta wait on my uniforms

i dont agree with that at all, its not my fault they didnt get me my uniforms earlier....i talked to a couple stewards and the business agent and none of them know cuz not many part time dockworkers get there CDL and go full time

My interpretation would be the same as yours, you got a bid therefore that should be your seniority date, not when finishing your training.
If they were to hire a new driver, there seniority date would be the day they start, not the day there done with training.

As far as waiting for uniforms, that could be few months before the company they order from finely get them to you cuz they are so backlogged and if they think they are gonna start your seniority based on when you can wear a shirt that says UPS on it,
your steward needs to get his head out of his arse and say something, not that he shouldn't now with your situation.

When I started my first full day working which WAS a training day was my official start date.
I did not get uniforms till the end of the first week.

I would say the first day you actually punch in full time will be your start date

1st question is why are you still having Ad Hoc on a bid sheet? That was trashed about 6 months ago......ad hoc is not a position but a term used for a peak in service! ALL FULL TIME EMPLOYEES MUST HAVE A BID, A BID CONTAINS A START TIME AND DESCRIPTION OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED! 10% of each classification is non guaranteed 8 but even with that there must be a bid there to break that down! Man I am glad I work out of the Southern Region, long live Local 745!

when i became a driver, i was a full time spotter on friday and was told to come to work monday for training for driveing, monday became my new senority date, even though i had been full time for about 9 years already, but we won't go into that one.
the first day you start training for your new job, or in your case the day you held a bid spot should be your seniority date, NOT haveing to wait on managment to process uniforms.
i know i palatine driver, been driveing for a few months now, has no uniform, but has a seniority date.
stick that in there ^$%

no not bitter , no not at all

1st question is why are you still having Ad Hoc on a bid sheet? That was trashed about 6 months ago......ad hoc is not a position but a term used for a peak in service! ALL FULL TIME EMPLOYEES MUST HAVE A BID, A BID CONTAINS A START TIME AND DESCRIPTION OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED! 10% of each classification is non guaranteed 8 but even with that there must be a bid there to break that down! Man I am glad I work out of the Southern Region, long live Local 745!

We jus had rebid. We have two list, city and road.
We have a ADHOC position on the city board.

we got about 10 ad hoc drivers who mainly work the dock this time of the year...i dont care i just want the full time pay and benefits

heres the thing.....there was 2 bids up for ad hoc city driver, i signed one and a jockey signed one (he was already full time)

we both were awarded the bids last friday.....he started ad hoc the very next work day, monday....so if they started him then they should start me then, on the pay and seniority date at least

Section 1. Seniority
(a). Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee’s seniority for all purposes shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee.

Section 1. Seniority
(a). Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee’s seniority for all purposes shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee.

this doesnt pertain to my situation, ive already been through the probationary period, i dont even think you read the thread

ive talked to every steward and the business agent, none of them know...i talked to the assistant terminal manager today

he said there is no start date for the bid so technically they can switch me over to the bid whenever they want, he also said i have to wait until all the new dockworkers start and get trained before i can go full time

this is bull, i signed the bid so i can go full time not so i can be on the waiting list (again) to go full time...theres got to be some kind of guideline on how long after you are awarded a bid before they have to put you on that bid position

Ok, I guess I am confused. You original post reads

(iii) The date a casual employee obtains full-time employment shall be the employee’s regular seniority date.

I believe this is what you are referring to. I can see your confusion. So, I would say your seniority would be the day you bid on the job. However you may get into a snag because you are not actually performing the job until you get your uniforms amd you are not trained to perform the job yet.

GL, another messy situation with the all infamous UPS. Sorry bout misreadin your post.

I also got my cdl when I was part time, I had to re apply for a fulltime position, that included a background check, drug test and also filling out an application online again, it took along time.

I agree, the first day you start, is the first day your seniority starts. Don`t let them stick it to you.

the thing is they wont let me start...by this logic they could make me wait 4 more years, as long as they dont start me driving they dont have to make me full time?

to put it in a very simple question....what is the longest the company can wait after you are awarded a bid to actually put you on that bid job? there has to be some kind of time limit

At all the terminals I have talked to people, they start people on there new route the next day. Here when a new driver is hired they go through orientation and then the week of mentoring without a complete uniform. They just go out with a hat and where a safety vest everywhere they go.

I was a casual long ago, for 2 1/2 years. But you will only be vested when you get 22 week out of the year. By us, casuals have no seniority. Once you get on the BOARD, your first day of seniority starts. My asvise to you is, do your job the best you can, and go home. Right now your time with the union is what counts, even though your not full time.

The answer to your question<how long can they make you wait?> If they said about 4 years, then maybe thats what it will be.
You will have to wait until someone retires, or an opening is available . UPS FREIGHT is, I believe only about 2 years old, being union. Just remember, the most important thing is, getting your 22 weeks Plus, for your pension. Try to work every day you can, even if you have to go to another barn. Find a UPS driver, and make friends with them, and they will help you with most of your questions. Your contract is different than other union shops. GO by the contract. Good luck.

Once you are on the BOARD, your seniority starts. They can put you in a clown outfit, who cares, because once you are on the BOARD and you are full time, your seniority starts. Read the CONTRACT.

I don`t know what your CONTACT reads but that has ALL your answers. Good Luck.

I was a casual long ago, for 2 1/2 years. But you will only be vested when you get 22 week out of the year. By us, casuals have no seniority. Once you get on the BOARD, your first day of seniority starts. My asvise to you is, do your job the best you can, and go home. Right now your time with the union is what counts, even though your not full time.

The answer to your question<how long can they make you wait?> If they said about 4 years, then maybe thats what it will be.
You will have to wait until someone retires, or an opening is available . UPS FREIGHT is, I believe only about 2 years old, being union. Just remember, the most important thing is, getting your 22 weeks Plus, for your pension. Try to work every day you can, even if you have to go to another barn. Find a UPS driver, and make friends with them, and they will help you with most of your questions. Your contract is different than other union shops. GO by the contract. Good luck.

im not tryin to sound like a ******* but i dont think u have a clue what your talking about

when a bid is awarded they shouldnt be able to make you wait 4 years to start that bid