Yellow | When you park on the tracks................

If you want the biggest train to train with, call up Union Pacific. Biggest locomotives to ever thunder down the rails!

UP Big Boy. Seen them on display in Cheyenne and at Steamtown (Scranton). One is being restored to operating condition. One thing on my bucket list is to see one actually under steam.

UP Big Boy. Seen them on display in Cheyenne and at Steamtown (Scranton). One is being restored to operating condition. One thing on my bucket list is to see one actually under steam.
I don't think I'll ever be lucky enough to see UP 4014 under steam in person, but I am looking forward to seeing video footage of it. A locomotive that big would make the earth move as it went by, I bet.

If you're ever close to Durango, CO. Check out their steam train ride. There's some videos of it on YouTube.

Cass W.Va. Ride the Shay locomotive up the mountain, spend the night on top of mountain in a caboose if you like.
6 miles from Snowshoe Ski Lodge, fun trip, old logging town.
I love heritage railroads and railway museums. The only thing cooler than trucks, when I was a kid, were trains. My uncle worked for CN for many years, retired now. My cousin apparently took his place.

Canadian Pacific has a rare example of early high power diesel in storage at a museum in Quebec. A Fairbanks-Morse H-24-66 "Trainmaster" built by Canadian Locomotive Company in the 1950's. 2400hp 203L 12 cylinder opposed-piston supercharged two-stroke diesel engine. CP operated several of these, with the last ones finally leaving service in the 1980's. CP 8905 is the only intact example of a Trainmaster left, stored in inoperable condition, sadly. The traction motors were repurposed and the engine was reportedly in serious need of an overhaul it was never going to get. Apparently the opposed-piston engines had a very unique sound.

The only cooler locomotive of that era, in my opinion, was the UP Gas Turbine aka Big Blow. They make awesome noise, tons of smoke and put down 8000hp. The only sufficient replacement for the Big Boy.

I love heritage railroads and railway museums. The only thing cooler than trucks, when I was a kid, were trains. My uncle worked for CN for many years, retired now. My cousin apparently took his place.

Canadian Pacific has a rare example of early high power diesel in storage at a museum in Quebec. A Fairbanks-Morse H-24-66 "Trainmaster" built by Canadian Locomotive Company in the 1950's. 2400hp 203L 12 cylinder opposed-piston supercharged two-stroke diesel engine. CP operated several of these, with the last ones finally leaving service in the 1980's. CP 8905 is the only intact example of a Trainmaster left, stored in inoperable condition, sadly. The traction motors were repurposed and the engine was reportedly in serious need of an overhaul it was never going to get. Apparently the opposed-piston engines had a very unique sound.

The only cooler locomotive of that era, in my opinion, was the UP Gas Turbine aka Big Blow. They make awesome noise, tons of smoke and put down 8000hp. The only sufficient replacement for the Big Boy.
Great engines the OP. Problem was it was a pain in the azz to work on.
The Reading Railroad museum in Hamburg Pa has one that the old N&W cut down for a slug. They say they are gonna rebuild it back into a Trainmaster in Reading colors.
Good luck!

Great engines the OP. Problem was it was a pain in the azz to work on.
The Reading Railroad museum in Hamburg Pa has one that the old N&W cut down for a slug. They say they are gonna rebuild it back into a Trainmaster in Reading colors.
Good luck!
I remember reading about that one. It'd really be something if they went whole hog with it and put a working power unit in.

State of W. Va. owns the Cass Scenic Railway, they have several Shays operating, maintenance shop is located where you board the train.
Fun trip up the mountain, see all kinds of wildlife like Rougarous
and the thing Mud mentions, that I can't spell.

Ditto on the "trains and trucks" as a kid CF. I spent most of my waking hours riding with the local RR freight crews back in the 1950's. They'd stop, put my bike in the caboose and I'd ride with them all day. Drove my parents nuts!

I just came through St. Constant, PQ yesterday as I have numerous times but I still haven't been able to visit Exporail there. One more thing on my "bucket list".

DL&W (Lackawanna) and CNJ ran a bunch of Trainmasters years ago. I got to see them a number of times on the Lackawanna in North Jersey.

State of W. Va. owns the Cass Scenic Railway, they have several Shays operating, maintenance shop is located where you board the train.
Fun trip up the mountain, see all kinds of wildlife like Rougarous
and the thing Mud mentions, that I can't spell.
Goat suckers. Chupacabra's attack livestock at night and feed on their blood. There are various ways to stop them.
4pXI9xM.jpg

Ditto on the "trains and trucks" as a kid CF. I spent most of my waking hours riding with the local RR freight crews back in the 1950's. They'd stop, put my bike in the caboose and I'd ride with them all day. Drove my parents nuts!

I just came through St. Constant, PQ yesterday as I have numerous times but I still haven't been able to visit Exporail there. One more thing on my "bucket list".

DL&W (Lackawanna) and CNJ ran a bunch of Trainmasters years ago. I got to see them a number of times on the Lackawanna in North Jersey.

We were so poor, our parents would give us a bucket of rocks,
we would go to the RR and find hobos riding on a coal tender,
we threw rocks at them, they threw coal back at us, thats how we
heated our home.
Sure miss those steam engines.

We were so poor, our parents would give us a bucket of rocks,
we would go to the RR and find hobos riding on a coal tender,
we threw rocks at them, they threw coal back at us, thats how we
heated our home.
Sure miss those steam engines.

That’s funny stuff ‘breeze, but no hobo would last half a mile on a coal tender on ‘Shack’s train!’ Or any other, for that matter.

(If you were that poor, your parents couldn’t afford the bucket.) :17142:

Last edited:
That’s funny stuff ‘breeze, but no hobo would last half a mile on a coal tender on ‘Shack’s train!’ Or any other, for that matter.

(If you were that poor, your parents couldn’t afford the bucket.) :17142:

Very true
I can remember the coal fired trains a year or two, most were converted to oil fired a few years before diesel.

The FM locomotives were a unique bunch in their time. CP was the largest adopter, I believe, with something like 50 Trainmasters and a larger number of "Baby Trainmaster" units. The H-16-44, I believe, which was a more mainstream powered unit back then.

You might be old enough to remember Smith Transport if you spent enough time in Canada back when. CP bought them up in the 1960's, then sold them in the 1980's when they became Inter-Link. One of the biggest LTL's in Canada back in the day, alongside the likes of Kingsway, Motorways and Direct Winters.