TForce | Where's Leo Suggs now?

This person seems so interconnected with everything.
The move to elevate Suggs is significant. Nobody is more respected within the trucking industry than Leo Suggs. That's because of Suggs' 40-year track record in the industry and, most recently, his role in elevating UPS Freight to a major player in the LTL industry.

Suggs single-handedly kept Overnite operating, and operating mostly union-free. He took on the Teamsters with the backing of then-Overnite parent, Union Pacific Corp. At a cost of nearly $30 million, Suggs beat back the Teamsters' organizing challenge and restored Overnite's profits and operations to the point where UPS bought the company. It is now producing in excess of $2 billion in revenue for UPS, and is solidly profitable.......

Picking up the recent dedicated contract business from YRC Logistics for a mere $34 million was a coup largely engineered by Suggs, who formerly was a senior executive at YRC when it was known simply as Yellow Freight System.

Next Great Success Story in Trucking: Greatwide Logistics

3PL news: Suggs takes the helm as Greatwide Logistics new CEO

YRC forum thread
Greatwide Logistics Services Acquires YRC Logistics

If Leo hadn't come along there wouldn't have been an Overnite to become UPS FREIGHT. Leo's management skills helped bring Overnite back from the brink of closure in 1996-1997.

If Leo hadn't come along there wouldn't have been an Overnite to become UPS FREIGHT. Leo's management skills helped bring Overnite back from the brink of closure in 1996-1997.

Very true.

I never worked under his regime. I came alone when they became UPS Freight.
I'm sure he was a hardcore business man.
I was loaned a Leo Suggs: "You Haven't Earned It, Anti-Union" DVD to watch and immediately figured his wishes would not come to fruition.

won't be long and greatwide will be bankrupt and leo and his brother in law can move on to destroy some other company. if he was so good why did ups get rid of him?

Where do the opinions come from that Leo "saved" Overnite????? He ran Preston into the ground and he was doing good job of doing just that with Overnite. Leo is the type of man who would rather see a company go "busted" than go union.

when Boswell got sacked, we were operating in the 1.08 to 1.14 range ,hadn't turned a profit in probably 6 quarters, our raises and 401 match was based on ''incentives'' which we could never quite make, we wre wheeling those lovely ceramic clutch Fords........Leo came in, ransacked the office staff, restored regular raises, got us back in descent trucks and pushed a lot of dead wood managers out the door. On our end,we had some early retirement deals that I didn't like,he brought in Todd H. who has ruined a great linehaul that was in place and a few other things that I did'nt like. In the end'he did what he was paid to do,turn us around and get us profitable and market competitive. Did he overstay his welcome? Yes,by about five years.But with the Motor Cargo aquisition we were primed for the UPS takeover. I figured he would stay retired but I guess the fire still burns in him......just remember, this guy is a smart, well connected, competitive little son of a %itch.....bears watching