TForce | While everyone is in a panic about a B.S mandate, the real threat to your job is only around the corner

Even forgetting about the unusual hard braking, everyone must have had the situation because of weather usually where your front sensor on bumper gets blocked by snow rain hail dirt etc. What happens with those driverless trucks?
I remember a weather problem one day.

Oklahoma City December 2000. East end on 40. 91 degrees and thunderstorms which were pretty severe. In 20 minutes on the central and west end of Oklahoma City it was 22 degrees and straight ice and wet the impossible kind.

Thinking forward to robot trucks hitting that stretch in that scenario that morning is going to shut the city down. And probably kill people. We barely got out of that one thanks god for Rockwell and Michelins. Nothing but the very best.

Oklahoma City December 2000. East end on 40. 91 degrees and thunderstorms which were pretty severe. In 20 minutes on the central and west end of Oklahoma City it was 22 degrees and straight ice and wet the impossible kind.

Thinking forward to robot trucks hitting that stretch in that scenario that morning is going to shut the city down. And probably kill people. We barely got out of that one thanks god for Rockwell and Michelins. Nothing but the very best.
Norman the artist and restaurant guide books helped get you out of a jam? I can't figure that one out.

Once the general public feels safe around these driverless vehicles, the end of longhaul, and truckload jobs are soon to follow.
Its a coming. If we think most of these companies wont do this to save a penny we are fooling ourselves. When it does happen i think they will start writing drivers up about every little thing then blam they got their reason to fire you and this is more safe blah blah blah.

Its a coming. If we think most of these companies wont do this to save a penny we are fooling ourselves. When it does happen i think they will start writing drivers up about every little thing then blam they got their reason to fire you and this is more safe blah blah blah.
Where to start,
First they are testing 2 straight trucks on a 7 mile run that is repeated over and over. Not exactly the same as replacing thousands of trucks running all over the country.
Second you would need very highly qualified mechanics with very specialized training and all kinds of special diagnostic equipment at every shop.
Third besides buying thousands of these fancy tractors you must have to get even more fancy trailers because the trailers are going to have to communicate with the tractor.
This would take so much money and time and with all the supply chain problems now days I am fairly confident most of us will reach room temperature long before these trucks are much more than a few here and a couple dozen there.
They will probably put truck drivers out of work about the same time we drive our flying cars into the terminal.

They can get around worrying about any damages the trucks might cause by mandating the trucks like Biden did with the shots.

No liability.
The big company dream.

Have the media take the businessman side and most the country will never know how many people are killed by the trucks...just like the shots.

Don't worry. They're working on it.

Even forgetting about the unusual hard braking, everyone must have had the situation because of weather usually where your front sensor on bumper gets blocked by snow rain hail dirt etc. What happens with those driverless trucks?
There will always be, no matter what they say, a human "in charge" of the machine. Kind of like a pilot using the Autopilot, if this light goes on do this, if that buzzer goes off do that. They will insulate themselves from blame just like today. If someone hacks the system, which they will try, the cost of the ride along "programmer" will be miniscule.
The computer might be faster, but the real driver has the big picture. When the instant the sun goes down and the wet turns to ice, or a fog bank, will that computer catch that deer racing down the hill that you caught out of the corner of your eye?
Our infrastructure is not ready for this.. IMHO of course.....

There will always be, no matter what they say, a human "in charge" of the machine. Kind of like a pilot using the Autopilot, if this light goes on do this, if that buzzer goes off do that. They will insulate themselves from blame just like today. If someone hacks the system, which they will try, the cost of the ride along "programmer" will be miniscule.
The computer might be faster, but the real driver has the big picture. When the instant the sun goes down and the wet turns to ice, or a fog bank, will that computer catch that deer racing down the hill that you caught out of the corner of your eye?
Our infrastructure is not ready for this.. IMHO of course.....
Very true, this only brings up another question.
Was the deer vaccinated?

I can see the ops yard boss cringing under his pillow at night. Are the babies charged? Are they loaded and rolling? Are they trapped at a turning? Is there is is is...

Mental health would be such a think fixing all these soon to be disabled managers over robots.

I’m that case, the truck would pull over and stop and a vendor would be alerted to go and clear the debris from the sensors would be my guess.

BRG has solved 98% of your problems, drive 46mph!!!!!!
I endured a company policy of 55.

I do not scare easily because fear is part of being alive but dont allow it to paralyze me. However there were times I was very afraid in the far right at 55 being runover by everyone else at like 80. And thats downgrade on fancy gap of all places.

I simply quit when I had enough. Normally I handle downgrades just so just like old truckers taught God how to use the mountains he built taught me.

I am curious however, did your outfit really have a 46 rule?

I do not scare easily because fear is part of being alive but dont allow it to paralyze me. However there were times I was very afraid in the far right at 55 being runover by everyone else at like 80. And thats downgrade on fancy gap of all places.

I simply quit when I had enough. Normally I handle downgrades just so just like old truckers taught God how to use the mountains he built taught me.

The 46 mph rule applies only to BRG and certain Moldovanian drivers, it is covered under the Hummingbird article.
Just curious also, did you ever come down the REAL Fancy Gap in a truck? (highway 52)

Back before Interstate 85 was completed, Overnite had a 45 mph speed limit that was strictly enforced.
It was pitiful how we cussed those poor guys on US 29 between Charl and Atl.
No wonder how they hated us!

Around 21 years ago the NAVY adapted smart ship. Automated punch in the course and let it cruise. But their was someone always close enough to grab the helm. During Sea & Anchor detail or any kind of traffic or difficult maneuvering it was always in manual with a helmsman at the helm

Back before Interstate 85 was completed, Overnite had a 45 mph speed limit that was strictly enforced.
It was pitiful how we cussed those poor guys on US 29 between Charl and Atl.
No wonder how they hated us!
Can't even get lines painted on some roads...what about snow covered? Ice?..not gonna say impossible...more unlikely..

My understanding is that the driverless trucks don't do weather. Any kind, wet, snow, anything. That's when the human takes over. Also why they've been testing them in the southwest. I've seen a few of them in CA and AZ. Straw hat robots only.

The 46 mph rule applies only to BRG and certain Moldovanian drivers, it is covered under the Hummingbird article.
Just curious also, did you ever come down the REAL Fancy Gap in a truck? (highway 52)
You know what? I did that in a personal car.

But believe me I was tempted to run that with a trailer. The one time I headed that old fancy gap bobtail the Law intercepted me and said nuh uh. Turn around right heah.

Yessir. And that was that.

There are crosses on that old fancy gap route. Thought provoking. This would be long before the interstate was built.