R&L | Whiners

Credits
I recently started a city run, and one thing I noticed in a hurry was the inordinate amount of complaining by other drivers over stupid stuff.

I watched one guy looking over his bills. He had a delivery for some car dealer somewhere, another to another place, another to a third place, and the next bill was another shipment to the same car dealer as before. He looked up and yelled "What am I supposed to do with this?"

I said to him just unload both shipments for the car dealer while you are there. He said, to my complete amazement, "I can't do that. There are 2 stops in between there." Unbelievable.

Another common beef is having to make pickups in "other peoples' areas". I don't have a problem with this. I'll make all the pickups they want, AFTER I get all my deliveries done. That way I don't have to worry about having to work around stuff. I DO have a problem with being asked to make pickups before I even get any of my deliveries unloaded.

To be completely fair, I can't really criticize the man who has all his stops in one place. I hate getting that, because with my run there isn't but one way to really do it and that is progressively in one direction. On the other hand, if everything is jammed up in one place, you never know what you'll have. Non-map reading routers may have you flip-floppimg back and forth across town all day before you're done.

Totally agree, God forbid they have to use a pallet jack to move freight around, or get it ready before they leave the dock.:hissyfit:

I recently started a city run, and one thing I noticed in a hurry was the inordinate amount of complaining by other drivers over stupid stuff.

I watched one guy looking over his bills. He had a delivery for some car dealer somewhere, another to another place, another to a third place, and the next bill was another shipment to the same car dealer as before. He looked up and yelled "What am I supposed to do with this?"

I said to him just unload both shipments for the car dealer while you are there. He said, to my complete amazement, "I can't do that. There are 2 stops in between there." Unbelievable.

Another common beef is having to make pickups in "other peoples' areas". I don't have a problem with this. I'll make all the pickups they want, AFTER I get all my deliveries done. That way I don't have to worry about having to work around stuff. I DO have a problem with being asked to make pickups before I even get any of my deliveries unloaded.

To be completely fair, I can't really criticize the man who has all his stops in one place. I hate getting that, because with my run there isn't but one way to really do it and that is progressively in one direction. On the other hand, if everything is jammed up in one place, you never know what you'll have. Non-map reading routers may have you flip-floppimg back and forth across town all day before you're done.

Rarely am I lucky enough to get ALL of my deliveries off before I make any pickups. I am usually making deliveries and pick-ups thru-out the day.Drivers by nature are crybabies and complainers, it just seems to be that way. The drivers who complain the most have never done anything but drive a truck, if they had ever done anything else, they would see that driving a truck aroung making deliveries and pick-ups is not a hard thing to do for a living:chairshot: It dosen't require much brain power!!!:biglaugh:

Man you guys are missing one major thing...Your trying to bring logical thinking and simplistic thought processes in to the world of LTL deliveries, and that jost won't work... If a driver doesn't complain he/she would explode... If your cruising the dr's before you leave and you see something that isn't right ask about it. If there answers aren't to your liking fix it yourself it won't kill you. My biggest complaint is the loaders strapping in a large pallet in with say a drum or something small then it all dumps over. My rule is one strap per pallet and then you dont have tipovers.

Your loaders strap? Ours can't pull up their pants and tighten their own belts.

I keep my straps on the wall and have had 6 broken by loaders in 1 month, they think riding the rail is the right way to load.

Just GIT-R-DONE!
Does no good complaining...they just label you a WAH WAH...and call the WAMBULANCE!

Just go out an do your job to the best of your ability. Things will fall into place if you keep an open mind.

I am constantly moving freight around to make my deliveries go smoother and quicker for me. As for making pickups before being empty...GOOD LUCK with that one. We have some stubborn drivers that dont stay in touch with dispatch and then have to run around in circles to get the pickups on.

Besides, I have quite a few places that close at Noon that ship with us...so I have to make early pickups sometimes.

Bottom line...Too Many Complainers Drive Trucks...They spend more time and energy complaining than getting the job done. Yet they go out and do it every day.:biglaugh:

Happy Trucking the R+L way!!!

god forbid someone might actually have to do work to earn his pay no way

2 out of 4 days you had no p/u's? maybe you ain't complaining but you ought to be worried, cause thats how your company makes money, or your terminal makes money.

I'm one of several drivers who venture pretty far away, and the vast majority of the companies who ship with us are closer to home. We have some drivers here who do nothing but make pickups. I help them out though if I get done early. I like that because then I don't have to worry about having to work around stuff.

I agree that city drivers by nature are all whiners,me included.
We skwall,and ball,complaining on how the dock crew loads our route trailers.
And dispatch how they route our bills by throwing them in the air,and picking them up off the floor.

But than we take off working our hearts out to do the best job possible as well as making our customers happy.

I don't complan about going off route for pickups,as long as my regular route is done.
But either way all these stops are customers of the company thats paying us to work for them.
Seeing they pay me by the hour,I don't cry when they send me to cover other routes.

One other thing we city drivers love to do.
Is when we get back to our terminals,and are ready to clock out,we have to explan all the difficulties we had doing our routes,and how bad we were loaded.
Then we go home,and forget about it.
Get some sleep,to come back the next day,to conitue the process.

Believe me when I say I know how we city drivers are.
I'm a UPS Freight driver trainer with a city route I've been doing for 6 years.
I'm going on 21 years with my company.
I've also worked for 15 other Teamster LTL trucking companies.
Every city driver I've known over my 44 year trucking carrer are all the same.
You've got to love this life,all this fun,and they pay you as well!