Yellow | Why is YRC the only co laying off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckinokie

TB Lurker
Credits
I read the other boards and no one is talking about layoffs. I worked 16 years for nonunion LTL, TL, carriers through good times and bad. Not laidoff at any. Not until I got my dream job at a Union Co. did I feel the sting of a slow down. I here it is a bad time for LTL carriers. But you don't here this kind of stuff at FEDEX, SIAI, R&L, ConWay, Averitt, Central, or any other you can name. What makes union carriers different. The pay is not that much different at thoes cos. Most mgmt. have been at the others cos. befor. They all know each other. If we give so much better service than thoes others why can't we keep enough freight to keep us all working?

I read the other boards and no one is talking about layoffs. I worked 16 years for nonunion LTL, TL, carriers through good times and bad. Not laidoff at any. Not until I got my dream job at a Union Co. did I feel the sting of a slow down. I here it is a bad time for LTL carriers. But you don't here this kind of stuff at FEDEX, SIAI, R&L, ConWay, Averitt, Central, or any other you can name. What makes union carriers different. The pay is not that much different at thoes cos. Most mgmt. have been at the others cos. befor. They all know each other. If we give so much better service than thoes others why can't we keep enough freight to keep us all working?
This is way over simplified. Our bennies cost more so they try to control that with layoffs. They know we won't leave, nons would hoof it on down the road and probably not come back. Most of my management still has the mentality of the customer is not gonna tell me what to do, like it's still 1970 and we're the only game in town. It comes out in many ways that cost us work. You guys that been here for awhile know what I'm talking about. In reality our hours is the only thing in this world they can control so therefore they must. Lastly, I believe Mangement hates us and under most circumstances can't do a thing about it, and at times go out of thier way to make us miserable, nons would just fire you. Ya at times I believe it is uncalled for and I still have some of my anti-establisment ideas floating around in my pea-brain. :rockon:

besides bennies cost union has to guarantee 40 hrs and the non-union can rotate days off. oh by the way saia did have a layoff this past week so the ones still working will probably be working 70 hrs a week now

Sir ,You need to go back and search those other boards a little further. SIAI is in the process of laying off 500 system wide.Central Frieght closing some terminals,Southeastern drivers claiming the are down to 32-35 hrs a week,Fed-x claiming a double digit decline in operating income.All this info is from this site from those employees on their respective threads. Both union and non are hurting right now and if they say diffrent check their stock or reported OR.
Housing starts are down,the car sales are in a slump.If people cut back on spending then we have very little to ship.

I talk to Central Freight drivers (a non-union company) that are being called in and told there is only three hours of work for them and then they will have to punch out and go home.

:Poke:
besides bennies cost union has to guarantee 40 hrs and the non-union can rotate days off. oh by the way saia did have a layoff this past week so the ones still working will probably be working 70 hrs a week now

since when do you get 40 guarenteed ? I knew if you came in you got the 8 no matter what, I know a lot of guys who are only getting 3-4 days, not 40 hrs >:chairshot:

Shouldn't be no problem finding another job then! I've had my fill of your anti-union comments.

P.S. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out!

since when do you get 40 guarenteed ? I knew if you came in you got the 8 no matter what, I know a lot of guys who are only getting 3-4 days, not 40 hrs

90% of the Union work force at any NMFA terminal is guaranteed 40 hours per week. :1036316054:
10% people are called that because that 10% of the work force isn't guaranteed 40 hours a week. :duh:
Maybe you only know people that are 10%? :shrug:

Has anyone realized that the end is near? Look at what the stock closed at Friday $7.76. YRC is big, and in Corporate America the Bigger and Stronger a company is, the harder and faster it will fall. RIP YRC :sadwavey:

Has anyone realized that the end is near? Look at what the stock closed at Friday $7.76. YRC is big, and in Corporate America the Bigger and Stronger a company is, the harder and faster it will fall. RIP YRC :sadwavey:
hope its not true,it will turn out industry up-side down.it will affect our wages and benefits,not to mention the very long days we will all be working

90% of the Union work force at any NMFA terminal is guaranteed 40 hours per week. :1036316054:
10% people are called that because that 10% of the work force isn't guaranteed 40 hours a week. :duh:

:chairshot:THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION. Try and learn something new every day.

:chairshot:THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION. Try and learn something new every day.

Benny Hill is one of the few people here that will keep you on the straight and narrow. It's too bad a few more people don't try and learn something new every day. Then, maybe, we wouldn't have to read so damn many threads like this one.

hope its not true,it will turn out industry up-side down.it will affect our wages and benefits,not to mention the very long days we will all be working

Who is going to butter your bread after we are gone?
Non union employees should have organized years ago so all us little guys stood a fighting chance. Instead, they chose to remain non union while the union companies slowly died off along with the men and women who fought for what they have today.
Oh well, it's like the old sayings go "all good things must come to an end and you made your bed, now you get to sleep in it".

All city drivers on bids are guaranteed 5 days at 40 hours per week.
All union workers are guaranteed 8 hours per day if they are called in and punched in for that day. Other than that, you can have guys that only work 2 or 3 days per week.

Who is going to butter your bread after we are gone?
Non union employees should have organized years ago so all us little guys stood a fighting chance. Instead, they chose to remain non union while the union companies slowly died off along with the men and women who fought for what they have today.
Oh well, it's like the old sayings go "all good things must come to an end and you made your bed, now you get to sleep in it".

The problem these nonunion guys don't see is the fact that if we all got organized it would level out the playing field and protect all drivers. Unfortunately, they seem set in their ways, and won't realize how much the unions actually did for them until we are gone. Just ask any Overnight/UPSF driver which way they feel they are better off.

The problem these nonunion guys don't see is the fact that if we all got organized it would level out the playing field and protect all drivers. Unfortunately, they seem set in their ways, and won't realize how much the unions actually did for them until we are gone. Just ask any Overnight/UPSF driver which way they feel they are better off.

You are correct Animo. They listen to the BS that their anti union management tells them.
Then you have retarded people saying stupid stuff like, more union companies have gone under than non union. Gee, I wonder why? Uh, maybe its because at one time almost all companies were union. When our union companies have been gone for 10 years will they still be able to say that?
It probably won't even cross their minds because the turn over rate at all those non union companies will be so high that most people won't stay at the same place for more than a couple of years. If they last that long without getting fired for something.

Benny Hill is one of the few people here that will keep you on the straight and narrow. It's too bad a few more people don't try and learn something new every day. Then, maybe, we wouldn't have to read so damn many threads like this one.

What the hell else do you have to do? Besides no one has a gun to your head. If you don't like the thread move on. Or better yet get another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.