Yellow | Why is YRC the only co laying off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All ltl company's slow down this time of the year. On top of the economy even slower. Union company's call it a layoff list and will call you back as needed in seniority order. Non Union company's will let you sit home and starve until you quit or they will call back the employee :butt kiss: they like.

What the hell else do you have to do? Besides no one has a gun to your head. If you don't like the thread move on. Or better yet get another job.

You come on and make a stupid observation. Then someone comes on and corrects you, and you have to apologize for not being informed before starting this thread. If you are going to be mad at somebody, go look in a mirror.

The problem these nonunion guys don't see is the fact that if we all got organized it would level out the playing field and protect all drivers. Unfortunately, they seem set in their ways, and won't realize how much the unions actually did for them until we are gone. Just ask any Overnight/UPSF driver which way they feel they are better off.

We are as close as we have ever been to no longer having any truck drivers in the Teamsters Union. God forbid that day ever comes, but if it does, these blind, arrogant, ignorant people at these non-union companies are going to come face-to-face with a reality that they would not wish upon their worst enemies. Then they will be begging for mercy, and there will be no one there to hear their cries.

All ltl company's slow down this time of the year. On top of the economy even slower. Union company's call it a layoff list and will call you back as needed in seniority order. Non Union company's will let you sit home and starve until you quit or they will call back the employee :butt kiss: they like.
WTF????????
This is our peak time!!

You come on and make a stupid observation. Then someone comes on and corrects you, and you have to apologize for not being informed before starting this thread. If you are going to be mad at somebody, go look in a mirror.

First off I am not mad. Where I am form the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. As a freshman at Yellow/Roadway I was asking a question. Yes I was uninformed that is why someone asks a question. You have been here for what 100 years? You know all their is to know about the LTL industry. Why don't you do as all a faver and explain how this game works so we all don't have to waiste your time anymore. You sound to me like a bitter old man that has nothing better to do then belittle other people just to make your self feel better. Why don't you take a long walk off a short pier.

I've been in trucking all of my life,and grew up in a family trucking business.I,ve been a teamster truckmen for 32 yrs. The only thing I know for sure is this business NEVER stays the same very long. Used to be things got busy when the kids went back to school, used to be things slowed down after Christmas,but got busy after winter went away.These are trends that change. I'm sure theres trucking companies out there trying to avoid layoffs to amp up quickly if some happens to YRC or some other large trucking co. They read the stock reports just like we can. ( according to this a.m. paper YRC stock closed at 4.98 a share, a new low) my opinion is that EVERYONE is speculating right now.Look guys, the economy is in a slump, Wall Street needs a major enema, We're at war, and we're in an election year. It doesnt look good for a long time. I'm only a truckman so I don't feel qualified to throw out advice.But, Im going to tighten my financial belt, pay off what little debt I have, hope my R.I.P. and tmster.pension does'nt get hurt too bad, And retire next fall @ 57.
I feel bad for the younger guys,trucking has never been easy,but if I was starting over I'd consider doing something else for a living. Good luck fellas.

I feel bad for the younger guys,trucking has never been easy,but if I was starting over I'd consider doing something else for a living. Good luck fellas.

Truer words have never been spoken... :shades:

I read the other boards and no one is talking about layoffs. QUOTE]

RnL has not replaced any drivers in 4 weeks

fed ex is not hiring right now...

SAIA is purging 5% of its drivers...

UPS is stagnant...

etc etc

ohhh and WERNER is even getting rid of 500 drivers.

(It is not just us - it is the flow of the economy.)

I read the other boards and no one is talking about layoffs. QUOTE]

RnL has not replaced any drivers in 4 weeks

fed ex is not hiring right now...

SAIA is purging 5% of its drivers...

UPS is stagnant...

etc etc

ohhh and WERNER is even getting rid of 500 drivers.

(It is not just us - it is the flow of the economy.)
Thank you. As has been stated in the thread befor I was uninformed. I now know that knowing is half the battle. I will now get the answer befor I ask a question.:1036316054:

First off I am not mad. Where I am form the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. As a freshman at Yellow/Roadway I was asking a question. Yes I was uninformed that is why someone asks a question. You have been here for what 100 years? You know all their is to know about the LTL industry. Why don't you do as all a faver and explain how this game works so we all don't have to waiste your time anymore. You sound to me like a bitter old man that has nothing better to do then belittle other people just to make your self feel better. Why don't you take a long walk off a short pier.

You're right, I am bitter. What is happening to this country and at YRC is severely pissing me off. So I don't have any patience with threads that only add fuel to the fire and don't provide anything positive or constructive to the dialogue. Things are bad enough without unfounded rumors or suppositions. For example, my son, a Yellow road driver, told me today that he heard Roadway had just laid off 30 from its city board. I told him that they have 195 people on their board. It is a 90-10 break. By contract, they can't lay 30 off at one time. This uninformed BS gets really old after while.

For example, my son, a Yellow road driver, told me today that he heard Roadway had just laid off 30 from its city board. I told him that they have 195 people on their board. It is a 90-10 break. By contract, they can't lay 30 off at one time. This uninformed BS gets really old after while.
???? Is that something that works only in Denver or is it a Yellow thing? I've never heard of this 90-10 thing. Ya I know another stupid question. :Poke:

You're right, I am bitter. What is happening to this country and at YRC is severely pissing me off. So I don't have any patience with threads that only add fuel to the fire and don't provide anything positive or constructive to the dialogue. Things are bad enough without unfounded rumors or suppositions. For example, my son, a Yellow road driver, told me today that he heard Roadway had just laid off 30 from its city board. I told him that they have 195 people on their board. It is a 90-10 break. By contract, they can't lay 30 off at one time. This uninformed BS gets really old after while.

Asking a question is not BS! I was not spreading any rumor. I was and let me spell this out to you ASKING A QUESTION! Yes I was uniformed THAT IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION! To get the information I was asking for. You can be as angry as you want to be at what is happing with the country and YRC. I don't know about you but I because of what is happing to this country am right in the middle of the crap. I have to work two sometime there jobs at other companys because YRC is not working me. I know first hand about it. So don't even begin to think you can tell me anything about what is happening in this country. I would be willing to bet a weeks pay you didn't call your son stupid for telling you that.

???? Is that something that works only in Denver or is it a Yellow thing? I've never heard of this 90-10 thing. Ya I know another stupid question. :Poke:

When I worked at an EOL, it was an 80-20. Terminals with breakbulk language are 90-10. Depending on which it is, 80% or 90% have bids and are guaranteed 40 hours per week. At a 90-10, they could lay off an additional 10% each week based on the new number. Where there are 195 on the board, they could lay off 20, all percentages go to the company. The next week they could lay off 18, and so on. They could definitely lay off 30 in a two week period, but not all at once. Besides, he called me later and said that his steward told him that they plan to lay off 10 each week for three weeks. The steward told him that this is a typical Roadway move to try and discourage the laid off people so that they will give up and quit. I don't know exactly what that means.

When I worked at an EOL, it was an 80-20. Terminals with breakbulk language are 90-10. Depending on which it is, 80% or 90% have bids and are guaranteed 40 hours per week. At a 90-10, they could lay off an additional 10% each week based on the new number. Where there are 195 on the board, they could lay off 20, all percentages go to the company. The next week they could lay off 18, and so on. They could definitely lay off 30 in a two week period, but not all at once. Besides, he called me later and said that his steward told him that they plan to lay off 10 each week for three weeks. The steward told him that this is a typical Roadway move to try and discourage the laid off people so that they will give up and quit. I don't know exactly what that means.
Thanks for the info. Must be a western conference thing cuz I ain't never heard of these things. In Central I believe the whole board can be laid off at once, at least I've never read or heard otherwise. Can anybody correct me? :hide:

Thanks for the info. Must be a western conference thing cuz I ain't never heard of these things. In Central I believe the whole board can be laid off at once, at least I've never read or heard otherwise. Can anybody correct me? :hide:

After I wrote this, I realized I was only talking about the city board. I know that the road board here is 65%. There are 65% bids, everything else is the extra board. I don't know what their layoff language says.

The president of YRC was at our terminal yesterday talking about the merger in SLC. I came back in off my run today to see 9 bid abolishments and only 7 new bids hung. I haven't talked to the other Stewards but if my math is correct 2 percenters were sent packing. I also heard a rumor that Roadway cut 9 driving jobs from their city board on the annual bid.

I drive a Yellow package car .I've heard that btwn 20 and 25 are going to get cut this week in The Windy, That's after 60 last week..

I feel bad for the younger guys,trucking has never been easy,but if I was starting over I'd consider doing something else for a living. Good luck fellas.[/QUOTE]

I have been trucking over 20 years and its not just the younger guys.. its the ones that are so close and cant finish. where would you go.? ABF would be the only one left and has its own troubles(talked to people I know and there very slow)....your right Good Luck...I hope YRC can survive.....

Status
Not open for further replies.