Holland | Why layoffs?

I don't blame everyone for being p****ed off. But you have to see that the company sees a chance to show a quarterly profit for the first time in a few years, and they are going for it. Yeah, they are gonna pi** off some customers, no doubt. They aren't looking at tomorrow, only today. But WE, have to look at tomorrow. The city drivers have to do WHATEVER it takes, to get the freight delivered, and protect what accounts we have. For OUR sake, not the company. Its not to impress the company, I know they don't give a damn, but for us. If we lose customers over this numbers race for today, we are gonna really be screwed for next quarter. I am a road driver that got called back recently, and I took the LOA. I would like to have a job to come back to. Protecting our accounts is up to the city drivers. I know the first thought is to drag your feet, in hopes to force Holland to call back the city guys laid off. I understand that, but if we have customers drop our accounts, due to poor service, they won't get called back anytime soon, if at all. Holland is standing firm on this numbers race, so please, lets do what we have to do to protect our jobs, and our future. Holland isnt gonna give on this. And the customers have numbers too, and they won't think twice about going to another carrier to save a buck, and feel assured that their freight will be delivered on time. And all our competitors are waiting by their phones, waiting for that to happen.

I don't blame everyone for being p****ed off. But you have to see that the company sees a chance to show a quarterly profit for the first time in a few years, and they are going for it. Yeah, they are gonna pi** off some customers, no doubt. They aren't looking at tomorrow, only today. But WE, have to look at tomorrow. The city drivers have to do WHATEVER it takes, to get the freight delivered, and protect what accounts we have. For OUR sake, not the company. Its not to impress the company, I know they don't give a damn, but for us. If we lose customers over this numbers race for today, we are gonna really be screwed for next quarter. I am a road driver that got called back recently, and I took the LOA. I would like to have a job to come back to. Protecting our accounts is up to the city drivers. I know the first thought is to drag your feet, in hopes to force Holland to call back the city guys laid off. I understand that, but if we have customers drop our accounts, due to poor service, they won't get called back anytime soon, if at all. Holland is standing firm on this numbers race, so please, lets do what we have to do to protect our jobs, and our future. Holland isnt gonna give on this. And the customers have numbers too, and they won't think twice about going to another carrier to save a buck, and feel assured that their freight will be delivered on time. And all our competitors are waiting by their phones, waiting for that to happen.

my question to you is why would i care about the customers and continue to tell them lies like the company has been doing all along and i am making 600.00 plus dollars a week less and they are lining their pockets. if your so worried about this place and want to be a hero to save this company why would you take the LOA and let people like me drag my feet everyday when you could be working behind me and making up the difference to save this sinking ship with your hero work ethic. you my friend are nothing but a hippocrite just like holland has become. face it, we as employees are not going to do anything more to keep this place going, you must be in managment because as a teamster you would know we have given up everything we have had here at holland in the past 3 years, and i dont need to post our teamster concessions on here because a real teamster knows what they are. this place has no future for any of us anymore after this weeks operational disasters.

Makes me wonder,if there will even be a tomorrow.We bag the loads,don`t service the freight,and lay more guys off.All we sell is service,and are failing at that too!!!!

my question to you is why would i care about the customers and continue to tell them lies like the company has been doing all along and i am making 600.00 plus dollars a week less and they are lining their pockets. if your so worried about this place and want to be a hero to save this company why would you take the LOA and let people like me drag my feet everyday when you could be working behind me and making up the difference to save this sinking ship with your hero work ethic. you my friend are nothing but a hippocrite just like holland has become. face it, we as employees are not going to do anything more to keep this place going, you must be in managment because as a teamster you would know we have given up everything we have had here at holland in the past 3 years, and i dont need to post our teamster concessions on here because a real teamster knows what they are. this place has no future for any of us anymore after this weeks operational disasters.
First of all, I took the LOA because my wife is getting surgery on Monday, and I need to be there for her. Before going back to being home 1 day a week. Second, I am not management, I am a driver, and a pround Teamster!! But if Holland, or YRC goes down, how many of you are gonna have a union job then? I really doubt that ABF would take in all of us. Where else is there to go? And as far as your cut in pay, I work now for a non-union company, since it was all i could find, and it takes me 2 weeks to make what I did at Holland in 1 week. Try a 50% cut in pay. Thats what all of us have to look forward to if this company goes down the toilet. And thats only if you can find a job. There is nothing out there, I know. I don't blame you for being ticked at me. But I'm ticked too. Have been since YRC took over. I would give anything to get back to the way things used to be. My pay was cut in half, and I don't even have insurance, because it cost to much here. I was just hoping for everyone to pull together, and help us all keep the jobs we all used to love. As far as the customers, without them, we have nothing. They pay for everything, all our salaries, and the company. And work ethics, your rite, I do have strong work ethics, and proud to say so. My dad told me and my brothers when we were teens, "No matter what you do for a living, even if you hate your job, always give 100%!" I will live by that till the day I die. I'm am real sorry that you only care about yourself.

Sounds to me like you are the hypocrite. You take the paycheck, yet you don't ride for the brand. You claim the Teamster stamp, yet you confess you aren't looking out for the best interest of your Brothers. I'm not going to stand up and defend the company, Holland, YRC or YRCW, nor am I going to defend the IBT. I do however think you need to lump yourself in the same category as them. You appear to have issues also.

(Vwaggs the poster)

Too much fighting! Children please

Let face it gentlemen and ladies,, we are not in control of this situation and probably will never be! But i do know i go to work and earn my paycheck each and every day, yes there are some of us that go to work just to see how much they can F@#k the company!!! I know for a fact that the majority rules and the majority of us do in fact care about the customers and your fellow teamsters, if your a bad seed sorry for your luck! Yes we all do have a voice, yes we all can attempt to do whats right, in the long run who knows if it really matters,,, lets hope so! Holland was a great place to work,, but since YRC has taken over,,, well you know the story. I also know many of us are not happy with our teamster leadership as well, whether it be at the local level or higher. But dammit we are teamsters and we need to bond together and further more we are holland and lord knows we need to ride this titantic of a ship ride together and hope after the iceberg hits and the anchor of YRC,,, that we are not dragged under! Good luck drivers! We need it! Im gonna ride this ship as long as it lets me, thats all i can do! But i will say, customers no matter how much they like the driver, no matter how much they like the company,,, they do want their freight on time damage free,,, and when stuff is sitting on our docks in our trailers for two to three days because we do not have the manpower, they are not happy! They dont care if YRC needs to show a profit, they dont care that our company is willing to trade straight time for overtime to save any money,,, like that makes any sense anyways!!! They dont care either!!! Wake up management!!!! If we dont have jobs, neither do you! Service our customers!!!! Give us the manpower, equipment and time,,, the teamsters will make it happen!

First of all, I took the LOA because my wife is getting surgery on Monday, and I need to be there for her. Before going back to being home 1 day a week. Second, I am not management, I am a driver, and a pround Teamster!! But if Holland, or YRC goes down, how many of you are gonna have a union job then? I really doubt that ABF would take in all of us. Where else is there to go? And as far as your cut in pay, I work now for a non-union company, since it was all i could find, and it takes me 2 weeks to make what I did at Holland in 1 week. Try a 50% cut in pay. Thats what all of us have to look forward to if this company goes down the toilet. And thats only if you can find a job. There is nothing out there, I know. I don't blame you for being ticked at me. But I'm ticked too. Have been since YRC took over. I would give anything to get back to the way things used to be. My pay was cut in half, and I don't even have insurance, because it cost to much here. I was just hoping for everyone to pull together, and help us all keep the jobs we all used to love. As far as the customers, without them, we have nothing. They pay for everything, all our salaries, and the company. And work ethics, your rite, I do have strong work ethics, and proud to say so. My dad told me and my brothers when we were teens, "No matter what you do for a living, even if you hate your job, always give 100%!" I will live by that till the day I die. I'm am real sorry that you only care about yourself.

for your info i do my job and nothing more. i collect my paycheck every week because i show up and do my job, it is 600.00 plus a week less than last year for you that dont pay attention to that part. one thing i dont do is lie to customers like the company does for service failures, damage etc. im the one one who has to listen to the complaints not the company. this company does not care about the customers anymore, just like they dont care about us. they are now screwing their own customers to pad their pockets, and have no knowledge of running a ltl freight company, and their losses show it. im not ticked at you and i wish the best for your spouse, and we all will find out sooner or later about your 50% pay cut im sure of that, but you know what? life goes on. we have given them everything and they still they wont admitt to any wrong doings of operation, nor will they even have the decentcy to cut the top brass pay, they just keep giving them more money to run us farther in the ground. so yes i do have issues being here 20 years and seeing the first hand distruction of this once top notch company with the worst junk equiptment holland has ever had and now is the laughing stock of the ltl carriers. we have pulled together more than once to help them survive but it did absolutley nothing but line their pockets. what about your shares of stock you will get at the strike price? even tyson johnson said 2 weeks ago that we probably will never see it at 3.79 a share again. i could go on but my fingers are getting tired.

team486, I am sorry to get you worked up. There is a lot of that going on around here. We are all p***ed off and worried about our future. All of us fighting with each other certainly isnt going to solve anything. And stupid me, I didn't think of how you city drivers have to listen to all the complaining from the customers. Us road drivers dont have to deal with that. I apologize. I will shut up now, and stay out of the way. Lets all hope for a miracle, and pray that there is a USF Holland in the future for all of us.

Renegade something doesn't add up here, no offense,

Just my opinion but you claim you can't afford the insurance and the 50% pay cut, so why didn't you conside the other options. You could have come back to work which would have gave yourself a 50% pay raise and when your wife was ready for surgery you have the FMLA available for up to 12 weeks in a rolling calendar year and you would carry your insurance with you while you were off. You at the worst would have had a secondary insurance to cover additional medical bills. Then when you were ready to come back to work on your terms you could productively contributed to the cause like you beg and plead the rest of us to do.

Not trying to spark an arguement but i wouldn't let one of my guys in DS do what you did. (50% pay cut and no insurance ) without making sure they new some much better options. Boomer

Brotherhood

Team486 is a perfect example of why, IF YRCW makes it, it will be inspite of his :shit:y attiude. Not only is he a big reason why many in management have NO respect for Teamsters but he is also full of ::shit::. There is NO F***ing way he has taken a $600.00 a week cut in pay. I took a 600+ mile per week cut in addition to the 15% cut in pay, that has proven to be around $1500.00 a month. So either he was making about $5000.00 a week or HE IS LYING!!!!!!!

Update in South Bend. Thet recalled the 4 city men laid off but they are not working the bottom 6 men on the percent board so the net effect is 2more not working. In my opinion the only reason for the recall was so they didn't have to pay the grievences for being over on the overtime rule.

This may sound stpid but...if not asked will not know....overtime after 40 is counted towards 20% something...correct...i do have a reason for asking but i have to keep that part silent for now...

I understand your point. But I got my recall one week before my wifes surgery. And I cant draw unemloyment taking a volentary LOA. And as for insurance, the last time I was laid off for a while, they told me I had to work 90 consecutive days before my insurance kicked back in. I had a medical claim during the first month, and they wouldnt pay on it, because of that reason. Correct me if thats wrong. I see you are a union steward.
Renegade something doesn't add up here, no offense,

Just my opinion but you claim you can't afford the insurance and the 50% pay cut, so why didn't you conside the other options. You could have come back to work which would have gave yourself a 50% pay raise and when your wife was ready for surgery you have the FMLA available for up to 12 weeks in a rolling calendar year and you would carry your insurance with you while you were off. You at the worst would have had a secondary insurance to cover additional medical bills. Then when you were ready to come back to work on your terms you could productively contributed to the cause like you beg and plead the rest of us to do.

Not trying to spark an arguement but i wouldn't let one of my guys in DS do what you did. (50% pay cut and no insurance ) without making sure they new some much better options. Boomer

This may sound stpid but...if not asked will not know....overtime after 40 is counted towards 20% something...correct...i do have a reason for asking but i have to keep that part silent for now...
I don't understand your question. Could you clarify please?

Atlanta recalled the guys they laid off 2 weeks ago. Now we actually have enough people to service the customers effectively. As for the prior posts, customer service depends on everyone....not just city drivers. You can knock yourself out trying to p/u and deliver all the freight.....but if the company chooses to non-service freight, what have you really accomplished? Where we not profitable in the 3rd qtr. of 09? Thats what we where told here. The customers will ultimately decide our fate. "Bagging loads" simply will speed up our exit from this business. And if you cant see that, just look at the other companies who are now defunct who have tried this to save man hours. I've worked for 2 of them. I say get us out from the opressive mother ship YRC and let us go back to doing what we do best.....can I get a yea...c'mon?????

atlanta recalled the guys they laid off 2 weeks ago. Now we actually have enough people to service the customers effectively. As for the prior posts, customer service depends on everyone....not just city drivers. You can knock yourself out trying to p/u and deliver all the freight.....but if the company chooses to non-service freight, what have you really accomplished? Where we not profitable in the 3rd qtr. Of 09? Thats what we where told here. The customers will ultimately decide our fate. "bagging loads" simply will speed up our exit from this business. And if you cant see that, just look at the other companies who are now defunct who have tried this to save man hours. I've worked for 2 of them. I say get us out from the opressive mother ship yrc and let us go back to doing what we do best.....can i get a yea...c'mon?????

yea

what I am trying to say is..after I think it is 25% overtime they are supposed to call people back....people working get there 40 hours for sure...then 25% OT on top of that...if they go over the 25% they have to call people back to adjust the OT...and they do and once it is adjusted they lay off again...Hence work 2 weeks laid off...heard they are useing 50 plus 25% OT...what I want to no is...is it 40 hours or 50 hours that they use....

To the best of my knowledge as of Feb. 1 st the IBT and the Company had new language on the supposed 25% overtime rule. Here is how I understand it to be. No matter the size of your barn at 91 hours of overtime you trigger the first recall. For each additional 40 hours of overtime after the first 90 you trigger another recall.And so on !!! Hope this helps. This is the third interpritation of the language since 04/01/08. Confusing as Hell!!

RonaldJake, The 25% rule is simply this... After all men work a combined 5o hrs for the week (which is the 25%rule), then the combined overtime hrs of 40 = 1 man , 80=2men. Hope this helps.

if overtime (anything over 40 hours) equals 25 percent or more of the total manhours worked then it triggers call backs. That figures out to be an average 50 hours total per week per man.