FedEx Freight | Why the aversion to working the dock?

abso-freakinlutely, these idiots who say its easy to run a couple hundred miles and then drop set go break freight for a 3-4 hours hook set and then drive a couple hundred more miles and do it without having a couple gripes= mo-ron... then add in the factors of feelin like dookie because you only slept from 1-4 or 5 not because you want to but because something is going on and you cant get to sleep and then report on duty at8 p.m and not exit off duty till 8 or 9 a.m all the while only getting a few hours of sleep the past couple of days... we all used to think road driving = holding a steering wheel for a few hours each way then going home... nope not quite... there is a reason most old timer road drivers look like they havent slept in years, because they havent dip ***t

If that really is your lifestyle then please GET OFF THE ROAD!

I've been told numerous times by truck drivers - some of whom work for FedEx but do not work the dock - that it is very easy money for what it pays. I'm sure there's a learning curve, but let's face it: driving a truck in this day and age is unskilled labor that practically anyone can do. Same goes with dock work, which you guys seem to be forgetting isn't exactly the safest profession either.

Come on out with me in a snow storm with a set sometime for 2 or 300 miles and let me know how that unskilled labor is treating you?:LMAO:

I've been told numerous times by truck drivers - some of whom work for FedEx but do not work the dock - that it is very easy money for what it pays. I'm sure there's a learning curve, but let's face it: driving a truck in this day and age is unskilled labor that practically anyone can do. Same goes with dock work, which you guys seem to be forgetting isn't exactly the safest profession either.

What drivers do everywhere during the winter months earn there money, and so many with attitudes like yours dont last doing what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
trollspray.jpg

So you guys really believe that it takes a special kind of person - not just experience almost anyone could pick up - to do what you do? Whatever. It's unskilled labor that most people don't even consider because a) the hours b) drug testing c) it's a boring, generally dead end job

Its unskilled labor that pays better than 95% of what college grads even dream of earning, and no not everyone can do this.

So you guys really believe that it takes a special kind of person - not just experience almost anyone could pick up - to do what you do? Whatever. It's unskilled labor that most people don't even consider because a) the hours b) drug testing c) it's a boring, generally dead end job

.... or D) Their nads are to small so they stay on the patio!....:biglaugh:

Its unskilled labor that pays better than 95% of what college grads even dream of earning, and no not everyone can do this.

Why exactly can't most people do it? I assume most people can, and they simply either choose not to or else they aren't qualified for reasons that have nothing to do with skill.

No it does not take a "Special Kind of Person" just an ass and a pair of hands to hold the wheel. I was a "Professional" dock hand for AF, back when it was 80% hand freight and 20% dumped-over skid freight that needed re-couped. I long for those days again. I could then and still could move freight, not just drive a forklift. I see very few Professional Dock associates these days. They whine when they have to get off the forklift to pick up boxes. Are you one of these type of Dock Hands? Truck driving is EASY! But it still requires a set of skills that you Dock associates just Do Not Have.

No it does not take a "Special Kind of Person" just an ass and a pair of hands to hold the wheel. I was a "Professional" dock hand for AF, back when it was 80% hand freight and 20% dumped-over skid freight that needed re-couped. I long for those days again. I could then and still could move freight, not just drive a forklift. I see very few Professional Dock associates these days. They whine when they have to get off the forklift to pick up boxes. Are you one of these type of Dock Hands? Truck driving is EASY! But it still requires a set of skills that you Dock associates just Do Not Have.

So you used to mostly move parcels by hand for a living at a completely different company, and you had to get off your ass to do it. In other words you basically used to work for FedEx ground. What's your point?

So you used to mostly move parcels by hand for a living at a completely different company, and you had to get off your ass to do it. In other words you basically used to work for FedEx ground. What's your point?

AF was a trucking company that Fed Ex bought and now is called Fed Ex Freight. OS&D your losing this one