FedEx Freight | Why the aversion to working the dock?

So you used to mostly move parcels by hand for a living at a completely different company, and you had to get off your ass to do it. In other words you basically used to work for FedEx ground. What's your point?

My point is AF became FXF. And we move LTL freight except it was freight that had to handled... by hand. The minimum production to become a Full-Time Dock Hand was 9 bills per hour. That is 9 scans off and 9 load scans per hour, if you could not meet this production goal you had to fill out an "Time and Exception" report. Since it was all hand freight at AF(FXF) and we had to also clock IN and OUT for our breaks. You HAD TO PERFORM. Wouldn't it be fun to watch our Dock associates have to clock IN and OUT from Breaks today? And you had better not take longer that your 10 minute break.

Dock work did not always consist of 90 percent palletized freight and a lift for everyone. Fedex has designed their system to work that way and either trained shippers to comply or go elsewhere. Back in the day it was lots of freight on the floor that you picked up and put on a flat cart and wheeled over to the load door and hand stacked it again. Sometimes you got to hand truck it or palllet jack it. Forklifts were much scarcer and you had to wait your turn to drive one or some docks had assigned lift drivers. There were no straps or beams/ boards. You had to know how to use rope and tie good knots and load high and tight without damaging the freight. I have the feeling you don't know much about driving or dock work.

What's your point exactly? Because it seems that dock work and driving both got easier in a sense over time, but one was always much more burdensome than the other anyway.

What's your point exactly? Because it seems that dock work and driving both got easier in a sense over time, but one was always much more burdensome than the other anyway.

What was your point? You told us drivers that we had it easy, and so do us Dock hands. I just wanted you to maybe understand how easy you have it now.

I mean for what you guys get paid vs. the amount of physical labor you put in you certainly aren't getting ripped off. Or at the very least the amount of complaining a lot you guys do is way out of proportion to what you get in return for your efforts.

I mean for what you guys get paid vs. the amount of physical labor you put in you certainly aren't getting ripped off. Or at the very least the amount of complaining a lot you guys do is way out of proportion to what you get in return for your efforts.

I just explained the same thing to you. The dock is Easy today. It used to be different, much different. If you have only worked the dock around Chicago... you simply have no idea how GRAVY it is today in Chicago and this includes all Chicago terminals. But, in any event Just make the most of it.

You're ignoring the fact that all kinds of people are suggesting that driving a truck is generally a difficult job. From what I can tell it isn't. For what dock work pays I would also say that per dollar it's easy money, but driving strikes me as easier in a general sense.

What exactly am I wrong about? The stakes for driving a truck are higher and you're paid accordingly. The physical effort you have to put in to do the dock thing right is also high, but not a whole lot of drivers get it right. That's all I'm saying.

What exactly am I wrong about? The stakes for driving a truck are higher and you're paid accordingly. The physical effort you have to put in to do the dock thing right is also high, but not a whole lot of drivers get it right. That's all I'm saying.

ST thinks we should pay OS & D clerks what they're really worth...minimum wage. Anyone can sit in an air conditioned office and talk on the phone while munching on bon-bons. Just observing the real world....

ST

just woke up,whats all the commotion about, just had a sweet dream about 310 mile 3&2 laydown run, i miss the ole days

Come on out with me in a snow storm with a set sometime for 2 or 300 miles and let me know how that unskilled labor is treating you?:LMAO:

I'll see your two to three hundred miles of snow raise you the same distance of one and two dot tule fog. I'll guarantee you won't see Over Stuffed Dipwad in either place.

Folks, I think we've got a live one here, the next generation of troll. Even though Opinionated Screaming Dork professes to be a dock worker at a hub, RC really doesn't think OSDork has ever strapped a forklift to his ass or put on a pair of gloves and built a deck. As you all know, RC is forever itching at the trigger to invoke the spelling and grammar police. When was the last time you encountered a dock worker with spelling, grammar and sentence composition skills of a Rhodes Scholar? RC is definitely feeling a disturbance in the force, perhaps this supertroll might wear a suit? Perhaps somewhere in the Ozarks?