FedEx Freight | Why the aversion to working the dock?

You have more time in here than me?

Not a problem, if not feel the pain like we all have to.

No.

Just thought I would offer.

One never knows what may come along unless it is investigated.

Sherlock Holmes at your service.

Rat

No.

Just thought I would offer.

One never knows what may come along unless it is investigated.

Sherlock Holmes at your service.

Rat

I have been here almost 18, I am not fond of pounding the patio but I am not interested in a 600 miler either... right now I work about an hour on the patio and 350 on the road and thats enough for me.

If it comes down to me or a newbie pounding the patio then it has to be the newbie.

For me, I have always wanted to be a truck driver since I was 5 years old. I started driving a truck when I was 20. 23 years later, I'm still driving a truck, just not at Fedex anymore. I hired on at Fedex as a linehaul truck driver.

Sometime around the merger, someone thought it would be a good idea to see if I wanted to drive something a little smaller. It wasn't. I don't mind driving a forklift, it just takes forever to cover 500 miles on one. Besides, have you seen the suspensions on one of those things?
My idea of truck driving and Fedex's parted ways in January 2011. I parted ways in September 2011 for a job driving a truck.

Guardrail

When driving forklifts you you drive by the hour not the mile. So you will get up to 500 hours a lot quicker. :biglaugh:

one thing is TRUE @ FedEx freight you will be driving something, wheather it is a forktruck, pallett jack, hand cart, plunger, mop, broom, tractor trailer.

We all started there and they want too see what you will take . it does get easier. dress cool in summer and warm in the winter. have fun and be thankful you have a job. It is a great place too work and you will be happy.
If not quit and try over the road driving and then compare.

one thing is TRUE @ FedEx freight you will be driving something, wheather it is a forktruck, pallett jack, hand cart, plunger, mop, broom, tractor trailer.

We all started there and they want too see what you will take . it does get easier. dress cool in summer and warm in the winter. have fun and be thankful you have a job. It is a great place too work and you will be happy.
If not quit and try over the road driving and then compare.

I guess I'm from the old school. I don't care what I do as long as they pay me the same. Swiping the dock, Taking out the trash. Sounds pretty easy to me for 25.00 bucks an hour...

$25??? Who makes $25 an hour????!!!!!

Just kidding.....don't start...
Feel like I'm in the UPSF forum somehow.....:confused:

It's all open for drivers of every forum. Or didn't you realize that. We just aren't suppose to try to cause trouble on each others forum. But we can share things and hopefully help each other...

$25??? Who makes $25 an hour????!!!!!

Just kidding.....don't start...
Feel like I'm in the UPSF forum somehow.....:confused:

I make over $44.00/hr...I clock in twice...:hysterical::biglaugh::hysterical:

Rat

Oh Yeah...I almost forgot...I make well over a $1.00/mile.

I just log in twice on the Intermec. :duh:

Hang with the Rat...I will show you goofballs how to retire in two years or less....

[SUP]I am here[/SUP][SUP] for ya'[/SUP][SUP]...Elvis runs a Taco Bell just outside Ft Wayne...stop in and say hello!...he luvs the attention!!

[/SUP]Rat

I think there are a lot of people that do not realize here you have to be more than a door swinger or a steering wheel holder! God forbid you have to ride on a fork lift!!! Way some guys act you would think they were the ones lifting the freight into the trailers...LMAO as these types rarely deck anything anyway.....i mean seriously what lazy asses!

I think there are a lot of people that do not realize here you have to be more than a door swinger or a steering wheel holder! God forbid you have to ride on a fork lift!!! Way some guys act you would think they were the ones lifting the freight into the trailers...LMAO as these types rarely deck anything anyway.....i mean seriously what lazy asses!

Why would you call someone lazy because Fedex is adding additional requirements to the original job? I hired on to be a truck driver. I have 20+ years operating different varieties of semi trucks safely.

If I wanted to wear 12 layers of clothes in the middle of January when it's -23 out, I would have chosen a different profession. I also don't care to drink 8 gallons of water a day to replace fluids when it's still 90° and 100% humidity at midnight.

It would be a different story if I hired on today (I wouldn't) because that's the job they now offer.

It has nothing to do with laziness but more with knowing what I want in life. Driving a Toyota forklift isn't it. Can I, yes. Want to, no.

All I know is the complainers need to go see what else is out there then...lol. Maybe go give a .34cpm otr job a try if loading freight is that big of a chore. I just think a lot of drivers here forget how good they have it...that's all.

Tell me, how are your rotator cuffs feeling after years of putting up and taking down decking, and pulling and pushing the dollies 6 to 8 times a night? How about your knees? Yeah, i know, if it's that bad, why don't i quit? Are you gonna support my family? There are no good paying jobs anymore.

Ok, how about some of us lazy do nothings talk about age. More than a few years ago, Pete K announced that the average age of the Viking line group was just over 50. Know what? Most of us are still here despite Harrison's best efforts to make us go away. They changed our runs, they took away our high mileage laydown runs, they outsourced jobs, they made us move, guess what, we're still here. So excuse the hell out of us old guys if we'd rather not work the dock. We hired on as line drivers not as dock workers. It's a sad day when guys with 22 plus years with the company and 60 plus years old are working the dock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, how about some of us lazy do nothings talk about age. More than a few years ago, Pete K announced that the average age of the Viking line group was just over 50. Know what? Most of us are still here despite Harrison's best efforts to make us go away. They changed our runs, they took away our high mileage laydown runs, they outsourced jobs, they made us move, guess what, we're still here. So excuse the hell out of us old guys if we'd rather not work the dock. We hired on as line drivers not as dock workers. It's a sad day when guys with 22 plus years with the company and 60 plus years old are working the dock.
That the problem older guy are afraid of change, and with todays world it don't matter how many years you have with the company it's what have you done for me lately attitude. MORE AND MORE LTL COMPANYS ARE HAVING THEIR DRIVER BE DOCKWORKER MAYBE YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE LTL GAME. NO DISREPECT

That the problem older guy are afraid of change, and with todays world it don't matter how many years you have with the company it's what have you done for me lately attitude. MORE AND MORE LTL COMPANYS ARE HAVING THEIR DRIVER BE DOCKWORKER MAYBE YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE LTL GAME. NO DISREPECT

Maybe we don't want to change. And I did.

Maybe we don't want to change. And I did.

OK ... we get it guardrail, you quit fedex and we've heard it enough already. Why don't you start a forum for all of you over at that great place you are so happy to work for now. I'm sure I will enjoy those posts about as much as I do the ones you leave here on the fedex site.:hysterical: Happy Trails ... ya'all have a great 4th of july and thank you for all of those past and present who serve our country.