FedEx Freight | Why the aversion to working the dock?

OK ... we get it guardrail, you quit fedex and we've heard it enough already. Why don't you start a forum for all of you over at that great place you are so happy to work for now. I'm sure I will enjoy those posts about as much as I do the ones you leave here on the fedex site.:hysterical: Happy Trails ... ya'all have a great 4th of july and thank you for all of those past and present who serve our country.

Is it about as old as everyone who says if you don't like it, quit? I hope so because that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

Not everyone has the option of going somewhere else. That's why they come here to get ideas and encouragement. There are many posters here and on other boards that add nothing for me. They are still welcome because they might just add something for someone else.

And... your welcome.

When I interviewed for the position at FDXNTL, I was told there may be a little dock work from time to time...sort of like a fill in for somebody else.

It would be different if we were all trained up to be dockworkers and that was what we had signed up for as we walked in the door the first time. To take drivers that have done nothing but drive for decades (and want nothing to do with the dock) and force them onto the dock...well, let's just say I'm not surprised that the damage claims rose sharply.

When I interviewed for the position at FDXNTL, I was told there may be a little dock work from time to time...sort of like a fill in for somebody else.

It would be different if we were all trained up to be dockworkers and that was what we had signed up for as we walked in the door the first time. To take drivers that have done nothing but drive for decades (and want nothing to do with the dock) and force them onto the dock...well, let's just say I'm not surprised that the damage claims rose sharply.

Would you rather do dock work or sit at home by the phone not getting paid.?

I would agree that if there was no training at all that it was a poor way of handling it. But, I've gotta say that rarely did I ever hold a job that didn't require me to change what I did or the way I did it over time. The needs of companies change, and it only makes sense that if you can have a person capable of performing multiple functions, that you do it.

It's definitely easy for me to say as I know that dock work is required walking in the door, but to expect that your job will not change in 25 years is also unrealistic. And that is the biggest problem I have with the whole union philosophy.

Would you rather do dock work or sit at home by the phone not getting paid.?

When that happened, I volunteered to come in and sweep the parking and empty trash cans. But, you missed the point. Many of us had no idea and were not informed that we would be performing dock work.

When it all comes down to the bottom line, I would prefer to drive a truck, but I will drive a forklift if required.

When it all comes down to the bottom line, I would prefer to drive a truck, but I will drive a broom if required.

That the problem older guy are afraid of change, and with todays world it don't matter how many years you have with the company it's what have you done for me lately attitude. MORE AND MORE LTL COMPANYS ARE HAVING THEIR DRIVER BE DOCKWORKER MAYBE YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF THE LTL GAME. NO DISREPECT
There are so many things that RC would like to say that would get RC in so much trouble.....
So RC will just say this You've probably never, ever had a headache.

Your missing the fact of a 90 degree day with all the doors, wintergaurds closed, and the moron in front of you "gunning it", and "beeping the horn for every movement they make on the dock. The feel of forklift tire grit on your face and in your eyes, peppered all over you from them doing it in front of you. Nothing better than stripping a trailer and building a deck since the morons in front of you floored the freight. And the people who leave the fork idling while your building it or waiting to load the trailer. What other issues would you like to read?

Oh, and the fact your 12 hour day, if you are lucky- is broken up with driving, doing fixed pay tasks, with the chance of ever seeing overtime nonexistant.

We get paid by the hour to work the dock, I worked it at my pace, heck with the #'s . so what if someone is beeping the horn and not decking and I have to rework.
It pays by the hour.
I'm lucky enough to have a choice on the dock work, I have always had a choice, I don't do it anymore I have better than 15 years of dockwork here behind me. I'm not chasing the $$$ anymore. Its does not bother me to sweat ...now freeze .... thats a different story ..hahaha

again ..it pays by the hour ... what ..39 cents a minute ...

dockwork+ driving a slow underpowered truck just sucks. I used to like dockwork as its like tetris to me but now I absolutely hate it. I request to get turned at the hub, but no joy. they'd rather send home an extraboard guy before me. Been at this for a year now, and my hats off to the guys that have been doing this for 10-15 yrs. It is a seriously mind numbing and dull job. pay is great but i feel like a computer controlled slave making 20/hr. lol

CenturyClass said:
dockwork+ driving a slow underpowered truck just sucks. I used to like dockwork as its like tetris to me but now I absolutely hate it. I request to get turned at the hub, but no joy. they'd rather send home an extraboard guy before me. Been at this for a year now, and my hats off to the guys that have been doing this for 10-15 yrs. It is a seriously mind numbing and dull job. pay is great but i feel like a computer controlled slave making 20/hr. lol

I liked it for the same reason. I had fun challenging myself to see how much I could get on to a trailer. The red shirts loved me. It can be a nice break in between driving but when you have a 6 hour run and 5 five hours on the dock it gets old. I would rather turn or sit in my truck for free before I touch a dock now. And my body thanks me now for it, instead of being in pain all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Careful Hillbilly,
Some young buck is going to jump up on his soapbox and tell that you are too old and slow, that you should quit and move on and WTF were you thinking, that you might actually be able to retire here?
But they would fail miserably at trying to be as eloquent as RC is.

I drive a 57mph road rocket, 2 trips Tulsa OK to Norman OK, you guys pass me like I'm sitting still, a couple of weeks ago I pulled back 2 45'ers, I was grossing around 135,000 lbs, yes its illegal but OK DOT nor Sysco cares..lol, I was doing a cool 35mph up some of the hills 15 mph below the min speed limit, I like to wore the flashers out...try that for mind numbing :)

I drive a 57mph road rocket, 2 trips Tulsa OK to Norman OK, you guys pass me like I'm sitting still, a couple of weeks ago I pulled back 2 45'ers, I was grossing around 135,000 lbs, yes its illegal but OK DOT nor Sysco cares..lol, I was doing a cool 35mph up some of the hills 15 mph below the min speed limit, I like to wore the flashers out...try that for mind numbing :)

Dang, what was you carrying, some hamburger meat? lol

Careful Hillbilly,
Some young buck is going to jump up on his soapbox and tell that you are too old and slow, that you should quit and move on and WTF were you thinking, that you might actually be able to retire here?

He probably should retire Dick, that is his daughters picture in his avatar. He's as old as the hills!:hysterical:

I probably shouldn't be talking about him knowing the fire power he plays with.:Poke:

rodedawg said:
He probably should retire Dick, that is his daughters picture in his avatar. He's as old as the hills!:hysterical:

I probably shouldn't be talking about him knowing the fire power he plays with.:Poke:

I helped carve Donners Pass and Cabbage Patch. It was pretty cool seeing dirt be made.

Richard Cranium said:
Careful Hillbilly,

Sad thing is I'm not that old. I've just beat my body to hell. I would gladly retire or quit is someone is will to pay me.