Holland | Wil we CLOSE UP Monday?

hollandman73

TB Lurker
Credits
It's gonna be 17 Below here by Chicago Monday./Tuesday......I hope they close it down for the day!! We were one of the only ones running a couple weeks ago in the extreme cold......and what a mistake that was!

I know its Minnie....just having some fun. On a serious side-I really don't know how you guys do it up there....that is just too gosh darn cold!!!

Its just a job Griz....plenty of them out there....I'm actually excited about the potential opportunities out there. Better pay...full pension....work for yourself if you like. Guys at my place left to pull containers....their taking home $2,000-$2,500 week....best money they ever made in their life. There are plenty of better options than what we are being asked to take. Have faith brother!

It's gonna be 17 Below here by Chicago Monday./Tuesday......I hope they close it down for the day!! We were one of the only ones running a couple weeks ago in the extreme cold......and what a mistake that was!

yes they should shut down for the COLD -20 below , as last time it was -20 below , we prolly lost $50k in tow truck bills & shop repairs & drivers sitting on clock with no trucks to drive !!

Its just a job Griz....plenty of them out there....I'm actually excited about the potential opportunities out there. Better pay...full pension....work for yourself if you like. Guys at my place left to pull containers....their taking home $2,000-$2,500 week....best money they ever made in their life. There are plenty of better options than what we are being asked to take. Have faith brother!

So why arent you there?

My problem with your train of thought is what is keeping you here? I personally like my situation at Holland. I agree it's now just a job, but on the other hand I've got 24 years vested in this place. Tell me where I can resume my career with 4 weeks vacation, 5 sick days, free insurance, modest retirement(I say that with tongue in cheek)and last work any shift I want? Now point me in that direction and I'm all over it. Another problem with the southern non carriers they want even consider a teamster for hire unless you know someone on the inside. That's my view and I'm sticking to it. Good luck to you. Griz

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

My problem with your train of thought is what is keeping you here? I personally like my situation at Holland. I agree it's now just a job, but on the other hand I've got 24 years vested in this place. Tell me where I can resume my career with 4 weeks vacation, 5 sick days, free insurance, modest retirement(I say that with tongue in cheek)and last work any shift I want? Now point me in that direction and I'm all over it. Another problem with the southern non carriers they want even consider a teamster for hire unless you know someone on the inside. That's my view and I'm sticking to it. Good luck to you. Griz

What are you going to say when they come back next year for your free insurance? You can't believe that this is the last MOU.... I understand the vacation, it is the only reason I stay. But we have given up so much in the last 4 years I can't see how we ever get another contract, at least not one worth paying dues for. 50000 jobs eliminated in the last 7 years tells me they won't stop until we are gone. Us old timers (I've been here 20) are supposed to protect the future for the junior guys, aren't we?

What are you going to say when they come back next year for your free insurance? You can't believe that this is the last MOU.... I understand the vacation, it is the only reason I stay. But we have given up so much in the last 4 years I can't see how we ever get another contract, at least not one worth paying dues for. 50000 jobs eliminated in the last 7 years tells me they won't stop until we are gone. Us old timers (I've been here 20) are supposed to protect the future for the junior guys, aren't we?
I have 0 faith in our younger generation teamsters.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Lol...sorry, I have to laugh when people bring up how great being an owner operator pulling cans is. The only people who say that, are the ones not doing it, or the ones that are, too embarrassed to tell you the truth about it.
I've got a truck sitting outside I'll sell you, if you think it's so great..lol