ODFL | Will OD lay off ?

imported_gocubbies

TB Lurker
Credits
Been with OD for quite some time, and one thing they always boast about is that they have never had to lay off folks in their entire history.. OD is a strong company and really seem to have the insight and intelligence to outlast the competitor. But in this economic turmoil, is it inevitable?
I have witnessed many things the past few weeks that seem strange. Stuff that 2 years ago, 1 year ago, 6 months ago, and even 2 months ago never would have seemed possible. Is it just me or are things really changing at OD?

Been with OD for quite some time, and one thing they always boast about is that they have never had to lay off folks in their entire history.. OD is a strong company and really seem to have the insight and intelligence to outlast the competitor. But in this economic turmoil, is it inevitable?
I have witnessed many things the past few weeks that seem strange. Stuff that 2 years ago, 1 year ago, 6 months ago, and even 2 months ago never would have seemed possible. Is it just me or are things really changing at OD?

Welcome to the O.D. forum gocubbies.O.D. may not layoff in the truest sense of the word but they will thin the crowd out as need be.You're right about strange happenings,everything as we knew it has changed.

Welcome to truckingboards gocubbies, sorry bout your team. Personal opinion here,I heard OD is pretty happy with 3rd quarter results.Our operating ratio actually went down.OD has been holding the line on rates,Look for agressive pricing soon. you shoud be seeing more freight.Another opinion [definitely mine] the stonger cos. smell blood in the water if they drop prices ,they might eliminate some weaker competetors.

Welcome to ODFL, Look at the blog "OH NO WALKING". OD as far as I have seen does not lay off,they may WALK people here and there. Seniority does not matter as this is a nonunion shop.:hide:

About 14 years ago they laid off about 6 or 8 guys at my term.1 of them got to come back and he had to go to High Point(headquarters at that time)to get his job back.They basicly got rid of the guys they didn't want.

At my barn we've seen one of our clerks and a city driver that was fired for policy reasons. Personally, I think that's how they're gonna thin the herd.

I think that its getting to the point that ALL companies will start layoffs. The freight is just not their anymore.
I know a lot of the trucking companies here have been cutting their hours on slow days and giving a day off during the week and its getting slower.
I also saw today that more small business used their credit cards last month to keep the wolf away from the door.

There will be no layoffs at a non union company, you will just starve as they are a work as necessary company. You will however somehow pay for your health insurance so they might work everyone enough for that. I feel for dock workers that work short weeks and have to keep family coverage.
Don't worry though, they're training new drivers at MRT as we speak.

I didn't know we even had a terminal in Worchester MA or Whitestone NY,yet supposedly OD is hiring in these locations.Are these new terminals?

I didn't know we even had a terminal in Worchester MA or Whitestone NY,yet supposedly OD is hiring in these locations.Are these new terminals?

We've talked about the Worchester,I believe it was a Jevic terminal.What's the Whitestone alpha code ?

Hi guys,

My husband got laid off 3 months ago. We are in Denver. He had an interview at the OD terminal here and they really liked him but were not hiring just now with this coming off the slow season anyway, despite the economy.

You guys run the freight, you guys know what's going on, that's why I read here. I'm the one who keeps track of what's going on with the freight companies in our house and OD is "my" first choice.

Do you guys see freight picking up at all? The Denver Terminal is moving next year to a bigger place, that still seems to be on. My husband isn't a trucker, was years ago, but do you see any help being needed on the docks here or anything, would you guys keep an eye out if you can.

I'm so scared. We just want to get in a good company and stay there. My husband has NEVER been out of work, and there is no one hiring anywhere here. If you guys see a change either way, could you post it if you think of it?

I thank you for your time and hope you all are okay and come through this and take business from other companies that don't care about their employees but cut jobs just so they can have a 2 cent increase at their quarterly meetings. I truly hope my husband can get on at OD, I truly do.

'boo

Welcome to the forum fadboo.We wish you and your husband the best,hope he gets to work soon.There are several drivers on here from that area or pass thru it.They'll help you if they can.

Try to hold on fadboo i know its hard but hopefully
after this election freight will pick back up. We usally
get slow around the end of november but this year i
believe it caught everyone by suprise with the way
the freight has dropped off.

One this is for sure. If we haven't hit bottom yet we aren't far from it then we can all start climbing that mountain again and look forward to good times in the future.

All those New York terminals listed by O.D. are one in the same.It's all metro N.Y.So what that means is that one terminal is serving all those cities and towns.

I just left Denver I don't know if this means Denver will hire or not but I was told for the time being all extraboard freight has to be dropedin Denver and taken to SLc on meet and turn schedules I droprd a rno and SLc and I'm on my way to kcy with emptys to find more freight so good luck we all need it

We've talked about the Worchester,I believe it was a Jevic terminal.What's the Whitestone alpha code ?
I dont know if it has one,My terminal guide doesn't have anything about Whitestone NY,nor have Iseen any ODFL press releases regarding the place,I don't think some of these jobsites are always on the up-and-up.