ABF | Work horse?

Frankie2010

TB Lurker
Credits
Why do people after 30, 40 years working do not want to go home. Work 60,70 hour's aweek. I would like to know what's going on in there brain. I Don't think that's the goal in my life .

Well.... let's just say that there is a very peaceful time AWAY from home. Especially if the old lady is raising HELL.

You no good so and so, you never fixed the window shade like I keep axing you to....

Sorry honey been working many hours for many weeks... hire it out.

Why you *& lazy NO GOOD etc. etc. etc.

Shore I'll stay out a while. Wait for the wife to say the magic words...

I MISS YOU HONEY!!!!

Sorry boss, something came up.

Why do people after 30, 40 years working do not want to go home. Work 60,70 hour's aweek. I would like to know what's going on in there brain. I Don't think that's the goal in my life .

Look at some people who don't want to take a lunch break on the job anymore. Go figure. A long time ago workers fought for the right to have a couple of short breaks and a reasonable time for a lunch break in the work day. Now some foolish types want to work straight through the day without any kind of break. We're going backwards.

There are even a number of posts by someone asking if it's OK to avoid stopping for lunch and to eat while driving between stops. I thought I'd heard it all, but I guess not.

Last edited:
Look at some people who don't want to take a lunch break on the job anymore. Go figure. A long time ago workers fought for the right to have a couple of short breaks and a reasonable time for a lunch break in the work day. Now some foolish types want to work straight through the day without any kind of break. We're going backwards.

There are even a number of posts by someone asking if it's OK to avoid stopping for lunch and to eat while driving between stops. I thought I'd heard it all, but I guess not.
I will explain it like this. I would much rather eat lunch while working then sit for a unpaid 30min if I am going to be at work and not at home I want to be paid for every second I am in that truck. If u prefer to have a 30min lunch I get it but for me it's not worth it if it's not a paid lunch

I will explain it like this. I would much rather eat lunch while working then sit for a unpaid 30min if I am going to be at work and not at home I want to be paid for every second I am in that truck. If u prefer to have a 30min lunch I get it but for me it's not worth it if it's not a paid lunch
Or if say the difference is getting into Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, etc at 6am or 6:30am or 7am. Traffic is usually heavy but moving at 6am. But 6:30 or 7am is usually bumper to bumper, the normal stop and go, or just plain stopped.

They want to stop though and sit on their phone hidden behind a building somewhere, wasting time everyday. Lunch and breaks cuts into that.

It's their life. Some people, and I know several here at ABF, who like the life they built for themselves. And you want them to give it up just because they got older?

They enjoy coming to work, they are recieving social security, their pension, and wages; earning over $250,000 a year with 6 weeks vacation. Not my cup-of-tea either but they worked hard for it; I say let them enjoy the life they have worked so hard to build!

It's their life. Some people, and I know several here at ABF, who like the life they built for themselves. And you want them to give it up just because they got older?

They enjoy coming to work, they are recieving social security, their pension, and wages; earning over $250,000 a year with 6 weeks vacation. Not my cup-of-tea either but they worked hard for it; I say let them enjoy the life they have worked so hard to build!
Not me, I worked 30 years and 2 weeks and was gone.
What I don't understand is retiring from a $70,000 linehaul job and then working at Walmart "just to keep busy".

They take 30 minutes no matter what, at least city drivers....

So are you saying you would rather drive down the road,eating on the run,risking distr,acted driving, just because you don’t get paid for your lunch? I can’t speak for anyone else, but YRC cut out the,No Lunch, exception years back. The 30 minutes would come off your time daily. It was mandatory to show it on your handheld.

So are you saying you would rather drive down the road,eating on the run,risking distr,acted driving, just because you don’t get paid for your lunch? I can’t speak for anyone else, but YRC cut out the,No Lunch, exception years back. The 30 minutes would come off your time daily. It was mandatory to show it on your handheld.
Yea that is what I am saying. I am not talking eating something that needs a fork I am talking like a sandwich something that can be done with one hand that u don't have to look at while driving in my opinion u can do that and be able to drive safe

Yea that is what I am saying. I am not talking eating something that needs a fork I am talking like a sandwich something that can be done with one hand that u don't have to look at while driving in my opinion u can do that and be able to drive safe
Eating while driving is right up there with holding your phone and talking ,as far as distracted driving. We have all done this, but statistics say otherwise. Try arguing with a police officer, or lawyer in a liability case that it is ok to eat while driving, 1 handed, because you don’t want to stop and eat on a break.

What company do you work for? Im asking because if you have a driver facing camera or even a forward facing camera and they can make out what your doing from the glare off the windshield the company will use that against you if something happens....We are all guilty of eating while driving, just saying be careful....

What company do you work for? Im asking because if you have a driver facing camera or even a forward facing camera and they can make out what your doing from the glare off the windshield the company will use that against you if something happens....We are all guilty of eating while driving, just saying be careful....
I work for a small family company do p&d. If they company says can't eat while I drive I fully understand and can follow rules I just prefer to eat a quick sandwich while on the road and not lose 30min. I am just gathering as much info as I can on different companies so if I decide to move on I make the best choice for me. Taking a 30min lunch won't make or break my decision just curious how companies do it

My reasons for criticizing those who work without taking proper breaks – lunch or otherwise - Part 1

When I started my full time working career decades ago I worked in a white collar, high tech environment. Back in those days, people came to work at the prescribed start time and left the job at the prescribed quitting time. At that quitting time just about everyone walked out to the parking lot and the office was deserted 5 minutes later. Lunch period was one hour and people took the hour either at the company cafeteria or else went out for lunch. People gathered together at lunch time, talked, shared stories, laughed and generally enjoyed the work break. There was a very good work/life balance back then. Then along the way over the decades something changed and two types of people gradually brought about that change - those who were somewhat incompetent and those who were essentially brown-nosers. A few workers of one of those two types began to work through lunch and/or stay after normal quitting time. Little by little other workers noticed them and began to feel that they too must work through lunch and/or stay longer or else they might be considered slackers by management. And so this “mentality” gradually got a foothold in that company (and many others) so that coming in early, working through lunch, and staying late began to be accepted as the “norm” and those who didn’t do that were considered lesser employees.

My reasons for criticizing those who work without taking proper breaks – lunch or otherwise - Part 2

In trucking I can show an example of the same thing – basically where the no-lunch, no break mentality has spoiled trucking jobs. I once was a road driver for a large LTL company. We had about 30 time-start bid runs every hour around the clock for a round trip of about 330 miles plus 1.5 hours drop and hook pay. It was a beautiful job, basically an 8 hour day on a nice road run with nice pay for the time involved. Then some rabbits started to do the run without taking breaks or lunch and they completed the day in about 6-1/2 hours. Eventually someone in management noticed this and decided that these drivers weren’t being utilized enough. They changed the nice 8 hour day turn operation into a 1-1/2 leg layover on the same route. Where we used to go from A to B and back to A and be done for the day, now we had to go from A to B to A and back to B and to bed. Just because some fools decided to run without taking a break for lunch they ruined a nice job. Be careful what you do to satisfy your own needs because what someone else decides to do to satisfy their needs might just come back and bite everyone in the a**.