ABF | Work horse?

My reasons for criticizing those who work without taking proper breaks – lunch or otherwise - Part 2

In trucking I can show an example of the same thing – basically where the no-lunch, no break mentality has spoiled trucking jobs. I once was a road driver for a large LTL company. We had about 30 time-start bid runs every hour around the clock for a round trip of about 330 miles plus 1.5 hours drop and hook pay. It was a beautiful job, basically an 8 hour day on a nice road run with nice pay for the time involved. Then some rabbits started to do the run without taking breaks or lunch and they completed the day in about 6-1/2 hours. Eventually someone in management noticed this and decided that these drivers weren’t being utilized enough. They changed the nice 8 hour day turn operation into a 1-1/2 leg layover on the same route. Where we used to go from A to B and back to A and be done for the day, now we had to go from A to B to A and back to B and to bed. Just because some fools decided to run without taking a break for lunch they ruined a nice job. Be careful what you do to satisfy your own needs because what someone else decides to do to satisfy their needs might just come back and bite everyone in the a**.
Good point

Eating while driving is right up there with holding your phone and talking ,as far as distracted driving. We have all done this, but statistics say otherwise. Try arguing with a police officer, or lawyer in a liability case that it is ok to eat while driving, 1 handed, because you don’t want to stop and eat on a break.
Yeah. God forbid that you have an upset cup of coffee in the truck after the collision. That ambulance-chaser will tell everyone how you were blinded by the cup as you tipped it up to take drink. But he'll defend his 2-martini lunch to the death.

Yeah. God forbid that you have an upset cup of coffee in the truck after the collision. That ambulance-chaser will tell everyone how you were blinded by the cup as you tipped it up to take drink. But he'll defend his 2-martini lunch to the death.
Yeah. That Bastard

It's their life. Some people, and I know several here at ABF, who like the life they built for themselves. And you want them to give it up just because they got older?

They enjoy coming to work, they are recieving social security, their pension, and wages; earning over $250,000 a year with 6 weeks vacation. Not my cup-of-tea either but they worked hard for it; I say let them enjoy the life they have worked so hard to build!
To each his own. I couldn't do it

Look I understand where you are coming from, but trust me, guys (on this point I'm talking city drivers) who don't take breaks and lunches end up screwing themselves. The reason I say that is you get back nearly an hour earlier than you should, you will end up doing local (pickups by your barn) that you wouldn't be doing otherwise. A lot of guys will tell you they skip breaks to go home earlier. Doesnt work that way in real life. Someone else will benefit by your not following the (contract) rules. I'm not saying this as a means for you to slack, I'm saying this as you should take what you are supposed to.
That's true. When I worked at Holland. We tried to stay out as long as we could because if we came back early, we would have to go back out and do a swap in a crappy truck

Back in the late 80's early 90's we would all go in the KMART shopping center parking lot. Union and Non-Union drivers lined up eating together at the little Cafeteria they had.

hooters girls happy dance GIF by Hooters
Sounds fun