FedEx Freight | Worst meets

train

TB Lurker
Credits
I was wondering for those who do meets and turns what are some of the worst. I meet Nashville and sometimes I wonder how some people keep their jobs. Not the driver so much but the overall operation. Although I think my meet driver waits for the next out they also always have an excuse blaming traffic or weather. In fact they have so many excuses that we just assign numbers to the excuse. The flip side to that is once I had s driver that would leave 20-30 min. before his showtime then call me the dragass

Lately for me it's been Dallas, they always seem to get their drivers out late. Denver can be right up there but mainly due to their geography and the time of year.

roog

When I was doing the Independence turn LA-Reno it could get interesting in the winter time. When chains were required over the top, you had to go around, 50 miles longer. Sometimes dispatch would tell you to just take the load to Reno because the turn driver is running out of hours. Hope you remembered to pack a bag.

Dallas was a bad one no matter what company I worked for. It seamed they were always screwed up down there.

Guardrail

Toledo is shorter incuding two lane state routes. gfin is all interstate. you can always work the dock to makeup the money you need.

I like to say also it is not uncommon for the trailers to come all the way from ATL or other places without or the wrong placards

I like to say also it is not uncommon for the trailers to come all the way from ATL or other places without or the wrong placards

You have to admit, it is a lot of trouble to open up the manifest to look at the red sheet to see if the right placards are on the trailer, if there are any placards at all???

zathlon said:
our worst meet is the gfin meet, a whopping 141 miles each way

Ha, GFIN-!! I had a meet driver from C** that......
1.Brought me 1 and an MTY(with corrosive placards),
2.brought me 2 loads that were supposed to have placards and didn't have any flipped.
3. Forgot to look at his dispatch sheet, and missed his via, I caught it when I was doing my pre-trip.

All of this happend within a month and a half. I waited for this guy for at least and hour and half everyday, on a 140 mile run! I got off that run and now I here he is now working the dock...Hmmm, wonder why?

If you depend on the red sheet for placard info, you are asking for trouble. The DOT doesn't care about some sheet that Fedex created. They go by the individual bills and nothing else. I've seen where the red sheet was wrong when compared to the bills many a time.

Guardrail

Guardrail said:
If you depend on the red sheet for placard info, you are asking for trouble. The DOT doesn't care about some sheet that Fedex created. They go by the individual bills and nothing else. I've seen where the red sheet was wrong when compared to the bills many a time.

Guardrail

I always look at the individual bills, it amazed me that he didn't even bother to look at the *red sheet.

Guardrail

I had a DOT officer look at my Hazmat paperwork in Harrisonville, MO once, he said the sheets are a good idea, then the ripped it off and looked at the bills.

Not really surprised, but I see people never look at the bills, I guess they trust the redshirts to do their tallys right.

roog

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, gotta way in on this one! In the last five years I have basically ran in the same three lanes just changing up bids do to bordum. Within these three lanes include the following- MSP, FAR, BLS, BTE, SFL, RAP, DEN, KCY, These are all points that I had direct contact with personally or thru a meet driver,but some of the trailers may have been loaded somewere else as a thru trailer, such as, CGT all the way thru to BTE or POR thru to ATL. This being said It is no exaggeration that 75% of the hazmat info or lack of is WRONG! I have had trailers that have been thru as many as 6 drivers and a few red shirts before I touch it and it is still wrong. It takes a freaking tick tac of energy to look at your manifest and see how many or if your trailer contains hazmat (each shipment is flagged ) and and to do your bill count and check bills for hazmat( also flagged on bills) If something is found 90% of the rules are on the red sheet, If you dont have one or arent sure use permissive placarding rule until you get somewere to find out, then go learn the freaking rules when you get there , because it your JOB! This is seriously a sore point with me I actually carrry a red mail bag with me filled with placards, un panels and numbers because of being burned so many times at the meet. It is deffinatly a company wide problem and one that has to be addressed. Now that I got that out , any one want to bring up anything about the same trailer that comes thru four drivers before the meet and has, oh I dont know, a broken spring brake,or non compliant tire (actually bald with no visible tread) or missing lights. The list is long as most of you know. I just don't get it ! Happy turkey day everyone!

It is being addressed. The RR makes sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed before pulling hazmat freight in what was once my relay lane... Maybe you can benefit from that too?

I have a KCY laydown run and Friday nights my meet point is WBIA. I'm the one to arrive last cause ZON has to bring the trailers up to us and they can't do anything right down there it seems like. The driver that brings the trailers stops for his 30 min break cause it takes him 1 hour or more to make the 32 mile run. I guess I can't complain though cause
I make the same amount of money no matter what time I get there.