FedEx Freight | worst night ever

In Arkansas they have a bad habit of not putting anything on the roads until it gets so slick they start having accidents and then they send the salt and sand trucks out.

I was real worried about our shuttle drivers on Tues. night, the news reports said over your way it was getting bad, I know on the way back it warmed up and got wet, all our guys made it back to Lowell, on time and in tact. Our guys usually leave Little Rock from 2100-midnight, they leave Lowell form 1600-1800, if you ever want to know, hook up with one of the foodservice shuttle guys and get his phone #, that way by the time your ready to head that way, chances are he can at least tell you what its like to the rock. I know its not that far, but every little bit helps.

We usually don't head out our selves until 2030. The only problem we encountered Tuesday night was getting out of the Industrial Park since parts of it was still encased in ice.

We usually don't head out our selves until 2030. The only problem we encountered Tuesday night was getting out of the Industrial Park since parts of it was still encased in ice.

I have been to your yard in nasty weather, it was always dark..LOL, I do remember one LIT shuttle driver from your location that stayed one morning to help us guys that did a via from LIT, he was a real nice guy, could have headed home but he stayed and froze with the rest of us, just to help us out, I couldn't thank him enough!!

Was that the old yard or the new yard? The old yard was like you say always in the dark. Our new yard has lots of lights but there is an underground spring along the southwest part of our yard that likes leaking water all over the concrete and when it freezes it really is the pits! Our dollys sit in this area and the last couple of nights we have had to hook our safety chains to the tractor and drag them out of the frozen muck. I slipped and busted my butt Tuesday night trying to hook my dolly up so that started the night off real well. I hate to see all the water along the south side of the yard where we hook up since it is so prone to freezing. It makes it kind of hard to hook up when you can't get any traction, or like what happened to me a couple of years ago I pulled out to leave and the steer tires hit the ice and slid up over the curb. I had to call central to call a wrecker to come pull me off the ice on my own yard.

Was that the old yard or the new yard? The old yard was like you say always in the dark. Our new yard has lots of lights but there is an underground spring along the southwest part of our yard that likes leaking water all over the concrete and when it freezes it really is the pits! Our dollys sit in this area and the last couple of nights we have had to hook our safety chains to the tractor and drag them out of the frozen muck. I slipped and busted my butt Tuesday night trying to hook my dolly up so that started the night off real well. I hate to see all the water along the south side of the yard where we hook up since it is so prone to freezing. It makes it kind of hard to hook up when you can't get any traction, or like what happened to me a couple of years ago I pulled out to leave and the steer tires hit the ice and slid up over the curb. I had to call central to call a wrecker to come pull me off the ice on my own yard.

The only thing I remember is turning at the concrete yard, going to the end of the road and going right then a hard right into the gate, by dark I meant there was no one there, just me and my instructions, I don't remember having to ever get one of your dollies, I remember the mty line and having a hard time grabbing one, due to ice or whatever. I always looked to go thru your yard, in good weather it was easy money.

That would be the new yard. Most of the emptys are out of the muck, just the dollys sit in it now. Or our fellow drivers like leaving their emptys at the end of the building which isn't a problem on most nights but you drop about 5 trailers at the end of the building and it makes it hard to swing out and miss the extra dollys which tend to be in the way about half the time anyway.

That would be the new yard. Most of the emptys are out of the muck, just the dollys sit in it now. Or our fellow drivers like leaving their emptys at the end of the building which isn't a problem on most nights but you drop about 5 trailers at the end of the building and it makes it hard to swing out and miss the extra dollys which tend to be in the way about half the time anyway.

It sure is nice talking to you popasmurf, you have sort of taken me down the road of remember, I doubt I have ever met you but its still nice to talk to someone that knows what I'm talking about, God bless my friend and a very merry Christmas to you and yours!!!!

If it's bad, turn around and go back. They closed the bridge where Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio meet. Solid sheet of ice. People sat for 7 or more hours. One of the guys my husband works with told him this morning that he was done with his route at 3pm. Sat on that on ramp for three hours and still didn't make it home until 10:30 last night. Thank goodness my husband was done at 1pm. He went to the store after he got home, did a 360 on the ice in my jeep. I went out about 6:30 last night. Slid right down my steps on my behind. Now my hind cheek looks like some one beat my a$$, literally! It took 4 tries for me to get in my driveway. Couldn't go to fast cuz when I go up, I didn't want to slide down into the garage door and into my husbands other baby. When I slowed down, I just slid sideways. Please, next time, take the truck back. It's just not worth it.

My run takes me right across that bridge there on the Cincy bypass your talking about, I heard it was bad so I dropped in Lex and turned around and headed back south and went home. Glad now I did'nt go up there and get in that!

Salem, OR to Portland, OR, 53 miles/ 4 hours, and this was at 22:30 ! Arrived in POR at 02:30. Ice and ruts like you wouldn't believe. Solid bumper to bumper. :TR10driving03:

ol' man :1036316054:

At least you and I have a choice to throw a set of single chains if it gets super icy out there. We could even use three railers or cheater chains.
Sounds like these poor East guys don't have any chains of any kind, and have to run barefoot.
I remember one time a few years back going from Eugene to Salem on a sheet of ice and wishing I had put some chains on.
I could see where junglejim can try not to get a chargeable accident if he did not have access to even having single chains for icy conditions.

:popcorn:

i appreciate the help my fed ex family, at least we drivers stick together, we are only human, but the higher ups seem to think we should be perfect in every way robots if you will have it, i will fight this tooth and nail, infact that chain idea is a good defense keep em coming/

i appreciate the help my fed ex family, at least we drivers stick together, we are only human, but the higher ups seem to think we should be perfect in every way robots if you will have it, i will fight this tooth and nail, infact that chain idea is a good defense keep em coming/

junglejim :1036316054:

I know that HRO thinks that the EAST is all flat country with no major mountain passes, but I would think that at least one set of single chains is much cheaper to carry around in your truck than to call a wrecker to pull you out when ever you get stuck.

BTW: as a side note. We have drivers that run single axle trucks over the mountain passes in Colorado. There is Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel and/or Loveland Pass which is up there around 14,000 foot elevation which you have to use if you have placarded trailers. No HM placarded loads on the tunnel.
There are nights when even with three railers these guys have to call a tow truck to pull them up the hill. (Usually around 300 bucks a pop). The three axle trucks seem to have a better chance in the snow. Ice is a different story.

Sit three hours on I-70 East in Indiana at the 24mm, then solid sheet of ice to the 45 then alot of spray, went to Indy for the night, 13.75 hrs and still could'nt get home. It's just sad how bad these states can screw up the highway to fix one little pot hole and not do nothing in the winter and really screw us all. This is one of the few times I missed my bunk, I'd parked and sleep it off, but on the bright side I'm home and dont have to worry about my tractor or leaving christmas night to be in Cal by Mon.
I was fortunate, left at 20:15, didn't get slick till the 111 in IL, 10 mile backup in IN. Got to IND in 5 hrs. Got real lucky on the way back as it got lose on me once, after that the temp went up and the road got better. Should've stopped, almost got a chargeable out of it, next time it's to the hotel...

FM

Left on an AM bid. Took me 3 hours, 45 minutes to go 18 miles from the yard. I HATE when that happens.

On the fairing damage chargeable, I had a very similar deal several years ago. Caught out on a run and ice storm hit. I did a "180" on the highway with the whole set, but it was SO SLICK that the whole set stayed straight as an arrow all the way around till I finally hit the southbound shoulder with the set facing north. They got a little twisted when I left the blacktop and flattened the right fairing, but it was finally ruled "non-chargeable".

However at that time, we were still American Freightways and Sheridan Garrison was still in charge. :popcorn:

i had the worst night of driving it took me 8 hours to go 170 miles, it was a solid sheet of ice in indiana and ohio, i should have not went but i did, i get back to my yard and it is still ice jack knifed into the trailer tearing the faring off nothing i could do to stop, do you think i will get a chargeable? next time i will not go if i feel its unsafe fed ex will just have to find another way to move it or wait untill the next day

Well I'll say this. If it's ice, I won't play! Because it doesn't matter if you have weight on both boxes......with ice, it won't matter! But with snow, there's a different story. I've never seen anyone get fired because they felt it was unsafe.......especially with ice. Centrals job is always to try to intimidate you and force you to try to make a attempt....and it works on most of the junior drivers. But once you cross that gatereader then it's a done deal. All I'll say is know your limits. K.I.(D)ouble......:TR10driving03:

junglejim :1036316054:

I know that HRO thinks that the EAST is all flat country with no major mountain passes, but I would think that at least one set of single chains is much cheaper to carry around in your truck than to call a wrecker to pull you out when ever you get stuck.

BTW: as a side note. We have drivers that run single axle trucks over the mountain passes in Colorado. There is Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel and/or Loveland Pass which is up there around 14,000 foot elevation which you have to use if you have placarded trailers. No HM placarded loads on the tunnel.
There are nights when even with three railers these guys have to call a tow truck to pull them up the hill. (Usually around 300 bucks a pop). The three axle trucks seem to have a better chance in the snow. Ice is a different story.

I have run chains over Vail with a standard 3 axle combination. That was bad enough. That would pretty treacherous with a single axle and a set.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine you would need to chain up a single axle well before you would a regular combination? In other words, the 3 axles would still be making it while the single is stuck.

Also, do you run X1 drives out there??

I have run chains over Vail with a standard 3 axle combination. That was bad enough. That would pretty treacherous with a single axle and a set.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine you would need to chain up a single axle well before you would a regular combination? In other words, the 3 axles would still be making it while the single is stuck.

Also, do you run X1 drives out there??

jakebrake12 :1036316054:

You will have to expand on the X1.
Is that the Michelin Super Singles??
We don't run super single tires AT ALL here in the west.
You are correct that you have to chain up a single axle truck
way sooner than a tandem axle drive truck.
There are many times that you can get by with a three axle truck, when they slap the chain required sign for single axle trucks when there is a hint of snow on the road.
The big problem getting over the mountain passes in Colorado is how well the trailers are loaded.
If you have two trailers that weigh close to the same the back trailer is nothing but dead weight that works like an anchor, preventing you to go uphill.
But the biggest problem is when the trailers are loaded backwards and you have 2,000 or 3,000 lbs more weight on the tail of the lead trailer than in the nose. That is when you spin your single axle drive tires even with three railer chains.
The drivers that run from Grand Junction to Denver and back every night have 6 three axle trucks that go to the top seniority drivers, and then they use regular single axle trucks for the rest of the drivers. These guys go thru chains like there is no tomorrow.

We had 3 drivers get stuck in Conway Ak, They all had to be wreckered in. They all had to stay in one room, I heard a rumor that they were sleeping so close together that one of them scrathed his nuts and one of the other drivers thanked him, names are being withheld to protect the innocent.

Conway Alaska??? Aren't you guys used to that up there? I'm sure you meant Conway, Arkansas. The abbreviation for that is AR. Alaska's is AK.

cables

These guys go thru chains like there is no tomorrow.

I have not seen a set of real chains since I have been here .... cables though .... I haven't seen any of those for a couple years .... except for the band new set I have hid ....well maybe had hid ....:hysterical: ... cables are only good for one trip ....junk ...but they will work for a short time ... along with ripping the tires to shreads.

I have heard tell .... of a short chain that fits through the hole in the rim and around the tire ...homemade ... to get you out of a tight spot .... be sure ... not the vaule stem side