FedEx Freight | worst night ever

I have not seen a set of real chains since I have been here .... cables though .... I haven't seen any of those for a couple years .... except for the band new set I have hid ....well maybe had hid ....:hysterical: ... cables are only good for one trip ....junk ...but they will work for a short time ... along with ripping the tires to shreads.

I have heard tell .... of a short chain that fits through the hole in the rim and around the tire ...homemade ... to get you out of a tight spot .... be sure ... not the vaule stem side

slackdragon :1036316054:

That is called a cheater chain.
Matter of fact I had to use mine the other day to break up a set. Seems that the gear brakes where frozen and had me spinning my wheels. Cheater chains help in certain situations like getting unstuck or ice in the yard.

:popcorn:

I have heard tell .... of a short chain that fits through the hole in the rim and around the tire ...homemade ... to get you out of a tight spot .... be sure ... not the vaule stem side

Out here those are called "cheater chains". Not homemade here. Shops have 5 gallon buckets full of those. I think every driver out here has a set of those in their truck., both line and P&D. They are invaluable to get out of a customers drive, or to get under or from under a set.:1036316054:

jakebrake12 :1036316054:

You will have to expand on the X1.
Is that the Michelin Super Singles??
We don't run super single tires AT ALL here in the west.
You are correct that you have to chain up a single axle truck
way sooner than a tandem axle drive truck.
There are many times that you can get by with a three axle truck, when they slap the chain required sign for single axle trucks when there is a hint of snow on the road.
The big problem getting over the mountain passes in Colorado is how well the trailers are loaded.
If you have two trailers that weigh close to the same the back trailer is nothing but dead weight that works like an anchor, preventing you to go uphill.
But the biggest problem is when the trailers are loaded backwards and you have 2,000 or 3,000 lbs more weight on the tail of the lead trailer than in the nose. That is when you spin your single axle drive tires even with three railer chains.
The drivers that run from Grand Junction to Denver and back every night have 6 three axle trucks that go to the top seniority drivers, and then they use regular single axle trucks for the rest of the drivers. These guys go thru chains like there is no tomorrow.

The X1's are singles. That makes sense. One of the combinations I hated most was a heavy lead with an mt behind it. Especially an old mt. No problem going up, but going down the other side was dicey. We have no real big interstate grades out here but the two-laners have a few.

Those cheater chains are worth their weight in gold to me. I have been in the city for a while and they are great for icy docks and driveways. Going back on line in a week so I'll keep a few around for hooking and breaking sets..

Out here those are called "cheater chains". Not homemade here. Shops have 5 gallon buckets full of those. I think every driver out here has a set of those in their truck., both line and P&D. They are invaluable to get out of a customers drive, or to get under or from under a set.:1036316054:
5 gallon buckets full .... send me some ...so I don't have to make them again this year .....:1036316054: ... I don't even know if I can admit to having them ....

5 gallon buckets full .... send me some ...so I don't have to make them again this year .....:1036316054: ... I don't even know if I can admit to having them ....

Just ask your shop foreman to order a 5 gallon bucket of cheater chains. If he don't know where to get them, tell him to send an email to the Portland, Oregon shop/warehouse to put a parts request.
Or send HRO a memo and tell them you don't want to feel left out.
I always liked the two hole steel wheels that we use better than the 5 hole wheels for looks. But with the 5 hole wheels you could put 4 cheater chains on each side. Then you would be all set.
:hysterical:

Just ask your shop foreman to order a 5 gallon bucket of cheater chains. If he don't know where to get them, tell him to send an email to the Portland, Oregon shop/warehouse to put a parts request.
Or send HRO a memo and tell them you don't want to feel left out.
I always liked the two hole steel wheels that we use better than the 5 hole wheels for looks. But with the 5 hole wheels you could put 4 cheater chains on each side. Then you would be all set.
:hysterical:

River 17

That would be nice if the shop could do that.

Since FEDEX took over the hub shop that I run to does not stock very many parts ... they have to run down the street to get them ..or your truck sits until parts come in, or parts get robbed from a truck waiting for parts.

We don't even keep headlights or trailer tail lights at my home center anymore.

This is sad .... this all started when the ..BONUS ... money started coming .....

So asking the shop to get a 5 gallon bucket of cheater chains is just out of the question.

I can just get my make my own ... or sit stuck ... get paid for it ... and they can pay the wrecker bill..... so we can save some money ....:popcorn:

The problem is,in the east chains are illegal in most states.When AF first opened the Midwest all of are tractors had chain boxes mounted on the frame rails.The only place we could use them was in the yard,but who wanted to go through the hassle to chain up in the yard only to have to remove them when we pulled out the gate.:TR10driving03:

!

The problem is, in the east chains are illegal in most states. When AF first opened the Midwest all of are tractors had chain boxes mounted on the frame rails. The only place we could use them was in the yard, but who wanted to go through the hassle to chain up in the yard only to have to remove them when we pulled out the gate.:TR10driving03:

When I started reading this thread, I was thinking "all chained up and still it was that bad???" Then I learn that you don't use chains in the east. What the hell? What is wrong with your states out there? No wonder you have such horrible accidents in the winter.

Out here, trucks are REQUIRED to carry chains all through the winter months.

What is the reasoning for outlawing chains? Damage to the roadway? What about the millions spent on accidents because you don't have chains. And you guys use salt out there that destroys cars! I don't get it.

As far as the accident in the yard, yeah, you'll get charged. I'd fight it tooth and nail. When and if you lose, what they will get is at some point you will decided not to make a run because of it being too dangerous, and they will have freight sit costing them a whole lot more than a faring. Short sighted policy wankers.

Really?!?!?! No chains!?!?! The east really should move up to the 21st century in transportation!

Franklin :1036316054:

This is one time I have to agree with you.
But then since they don't have any REAL hills
in the East, that maybe one reason they don't feel like they need chains.
Out west we only use chains when they FORCE you
to put them on to go UP a BIG mountain pass.
What gets me is that Colorado on I-70,
1) Vail Pass
2) Eisenhower Tunnel
they don't use pusher trucks like on Donner Summit and
Siskiyou Summit to name a few.

Viking doubles on the flat thanks to the Roadway pusher truck. Paul Martino Collection

72 CF Freightliner taken at CalTrans Kingvale in February 1995. Paul Martino Collection.
Have to give credit to Paul Martino for the nice pics.

Roadway pusher truck with Paul Martino standing by. Paul Martino Collection.

When I started reading this thread, I was thinking "all chained up and still it was that bad???"

Out here, trucks are REQUIRED to carry chains all through the winter months.

Really?!?!?! No chains!?!?! The east really should move up to the 21st century in transportation!

Overall, there is really no need on any interstate grade east of the Mississippi. The only interstate grade I can think of out here with a reduced truck speed is Mont-eagle on I24 in Tennessee. As I remember, fog was the big issue on that hill.

We carry cheater chains to get unstuck - or in and out of docks running P&D. The only trucks you'll see fully chained up - at least in Pa - are log trucks and home heating oil delivery trucks. But they are basically running jeep trails to get their job done.

The secondary roads are another story, but again, overall there is no need to use chains unless you get stuck..

Overall, there is really no need on any interstate grade east of the Mississippi. The only interstate grade I can think of out here with a reduced truck speed is Mont-eagle on I24 in Tennessee. As I remember, fog was the big issue on that hill.

We carry cheater chains to get unstuck - or in and out of docks running P&D. The only trucks you'll see fully chained up - at least in Pa - are log trucks and home heating oil delivery trucks. But they are basically running jeep trails to get their job done.

The secondary roads are another story, but again, overall there is no need to use chains unless you get stuck..
What about Sandstone on I -64?:TR10driving03:

we had a guy from our barn who was on strict secret probation for puttin soda bottle in fuel handle wrote up 3 times for talking on cell phone got in wreck in neb. year and a half ago rearend a car in kc on tues back to work on monday. no problem

Here's what awaited us all week just to start our night.
12-26-08_1454.jpg
[/IMG]

They will not let you turn around. They will tell you to find a motel i dont care if you are 1 mile from your terminal.Do not let them get you in this situation to start with.Been their done that.

They will not let you turn around. They will tell you to find a motel i dont care if you are 1 mile from your terminal.Do not let them get you in this situation to start with.Been their done that.

what happens in this case if you are 1 mile form the center or 5 miles from a motel...

Are they going to tell you to go to the motel?