ABF | Would you defer your contract raises until December. ABF Only

Would you defer raises until December?

• YES I WOULD!

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • NO I WOULD NOT!

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Not really for us at ABF. One month a year and ABF recoups quickly on their tax returns by filing their taxes which they would receive in a couple months.. As you can see there has been some thinking on the matter.
I can see that, looks like ya thought of everything. Like others have said....nice Christmas fund.

PS: Would this be cashed out yearly. Include the raise in the base rate.... and then defer the raise for following years?

Sorry to intrude on ABF ONLY....would the $8,800,000.00 bill not be coming due when the Freight levels are at their historical lowest?

Wolf, ABF seems to have done a pretty good job of steering clear of seasonal freight. I don't see a Christmas rush (outside of the treadmills) and the seasonal drop that used to be anticipated doesn't really happen anymore for some reason.

I can see that, looks like ya thought of everything. Like others have said....nice Christmas fund.

PS: Would this be cashed out yearly. Include the raise in the base rate.... and then defer the raise for following years?
It would be what ever is voted on and passed.

Wolf, ABF seems to have done a pretty good job of steering clear of seasonal freight. I don't see a Christmas rush (outside of the treadmills) and the seasonal drop that used to be anticipated doesn't really happen anymore for some reason.
RDWY seemed to get away from that seasonal rush too.....then we got back to where we died at Thanksgiving after the purchase. And as far as the deferred raise as long as all the bases are covered I would not mind a "Bonus" check come December. After I got burned I decided right then and there put it in my check or stick it....never again. Like Muler loves to point out it is not up to me anyway.

PS I did not vote in the poll.....

RDWY seemed to get away from that seasonal rush too.....then we got back to where we died at Thanksgiving after the purchase. And as far as the deferred raise as long as all the bases are covered I would not mind a "Bonus" check come December. After I got burned I decided right then and there put it in my check or stick it....never again. Like Muler loves to point out it is not up to me anyway.

PS I did not vote in the poll.....
It is not a bonus check.

It is not a bonus check.
I know what its supposed to be..... Mine was not to be a "Bonus Check" either. Something was tried to help a company and people got burned. You have made some assumptions based on something you know nothing about. I'm sure that it could never happen again. Put it in my paycheck thank you. Then it can never be a possibility.

I have heard that bonus checks carried a higher tax rate. It would be wise to assure that any such plan would not call it a bonus.

I have heard that bonus checks carried a higher tax rate. It would be wise to assure that any such plan would not call it a bonus.
I was always under the impression that wages could only be held so long by law, but don't know for sure. I would surely try my best to not leave any loop hole, think of every scenario. Or ya could just put it in my Paycheck! :)

well whatever happens over here i am sure we still will be better off than most, union carriers. no brag just fact. do you honestly think after abf bought a company for 181 million and are spending money on terminals that we are just gonna cave in ? grow up. we voted once for our best interest and we will again!!! what are you guys so jealous of abf drivers you cant stand it ? instead of standing in front of us why dont you get behind us ? ya right lol

well whatever happens over here i am sure we still will be better off than most, union carriers. no brag just fact. do you honestly think after abf bought a company for 181 million and are spending money on terminals that we are just gonna cave in ? grow up. we voted once for our best interest and we will again!!! what are you guys so jealous of abf drivers you cant stand it ? instead of standing in front of us why dont you get behind us ? ya right lol

It's not really about jealousy or hate. It's a business reality. The numbers are not good..bottom line nothing else.

I thought this thread was ABF only. If someone haa something constructive to add they are always welcome here, otherwise why are you here?:popcorn:

You gotta love the optimism..heading into a possible category 5 concessionary contract

Brother Joe, you've been around long enough to know you always go into contract negotiations with a show of strength and resolve......and the company will do it's best to present the doom and gloom scenario. As usual, we'll all meet in the middle, somewhere. A "category 5 concessionary contract" would occur only if we agreed with, or were terrorized into the companies' position. We here at ABF have already seen stark examples of that kind of negotiation.....and we didn't fall for it. Hindsight tells us to expect it again.

Brother Joe, you've been around long enough to know you always go into contract negotiations with a show of strength and resolve......and the company will do it's best to present the doom and gloom scenario. As usual, we'll all meet in the middle, somewhere. A "category 5 concessionary contract" would occur only if we agreed with, or were terrorized into the companies' position. We here at ABF have already seen stark examples of that kind of negotiation.....and we didn't fall for it. Hindsight tells us to expect it again.

Brother canaryinthemine, I could not agree with you more about negotiating from a position of strength. Unfortunately the IBT cannot create strength. You either have it or you don't. Neither ABF or its employees have it. The only question is..does Ms McReynods have it? I mean she has resorted to law suits against the IBT, YRC etc about her labor cost dilemma but has had no luck with any court or Congress hearing to sympathize with her. I think she has to show some strength or shut the hell up about it. The sad reality of it all

where is Docker?​

Yea, where's our vicious watchdog when we need him?? Someone has left a troll in here.

Yea, where's our vicious watchdog when we need him?? Someone has left a troll in here.

It's too bad you must rely on someone else to be your "watchdog." If Joe is wrong on the fact that we The ABF Teamsters are not negotiating from a position of strength, please highlight where you think he is wrong. The days of letting others do our critical thinking needs to be our past if we are to have a future.

It's too bad you must rely on someone else to be your "watchdog." If Joe is wrong on the fact that we The ABF Teamsters are not negotiating from a position of strength, please highlight where you think he is wrong. The days of letting others do our critical thinking needs to be our past if we are to have a future.

The highlight there would be on almost everything he posts and I am not going to go back on his garbage and highlight anything. Certainly not on your command.

I don't waste my time going back and forth with Plunger and Docker does a fine job of it.