XPO | XPO=more purchases.

We may be looking at this wrong. To look at it as our freight and their freight ( last miles) I think we need to look at as to utilizing freight and last miles infrastructure and equipment and workforce in a way that is the most efficient and cost effective. If that mean using our line haul system to move more last mile product or their owner operator model to deliver more of our smaller freight in a much more cost effective way ( no benefits or 401 k contributions to pay) than so be it.
I think the current separate models we operate under will become more intertwined. If you remember early on in the acquisition the big shots said that was the goal. We will be much more attractive to a company like amazon also when it comes to one company that can handle multiple types of shipments. Hence they will utilize us more.
That's just my 2 cents. We will find out once they start implementing their plan and not a minute soone.

I don't know a single city driver that will be upset over losing some residential deliveries. Also, they said we would be moving away from premium freight and moving into economy freight. Plenty more changes are coming.

I think the general worry may that mgmt may add a few small stops to a last mile guy in order to cut a p & d route out. We see it all the time at my place on linehaul, swinging pup after pup to sub service vans and our guys' runs are cut.

And obviously both those things will happen. XPO is also aggressively growing the business. So even with losing those deliveries and runs we should all stay plenty busy. Especially with the way people keep quitting. And the old timers are starting to get too old. For those that do still work here, having something to do shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Only time will tell .. I think the outsourcing will become more prevalent but not replace company employees completely.

Yeah, but with a company this big it's not outsourcing. It's resourcing your entire staff to accomplish the task as efficiently as possible. XPO LTL is not a stand alone company. We are XPO.

As a whole the biggest fear is either losing work or jobs entirely. And we did slow down after the purchase. And it has picked up since. And they are rolling out improvements. And there is plenty to be still be improved upon. How that all shakes out for each and every one of us individually. Just can't say. But it's a big world. We are going to be sold again. Two to three years from now. It's what Jacobs does. And how that impacts all of us. Well, don't know that either. And when Hop Sing buys this mess up and wants to integrate some absurdly enormous Asian transportation company that we can't even say or spell with this gigantic whatever we are. Well, XPO is already to big to wrap our heads around it so I know we ain't going to be able to comprehend any of that either. Take the check. Pray for good health. Love your family all that you can. Sometimes it's just that much better to be a simple man.

As a whole the biggest fear is either losing work or jobs entirely. And we did slow down after the purchase. And it has picked up since. And they are rolling out improvements. And there is plenty to be still be improved upon. How that all shakes out for each and every one of us individually. Just can't say. But it's a big world. We are going to be sold again. Two to three years from now. It's what Jacobs does. And how that impacts all of us. Well, don't know that either. And when Hop Sing buys this mess up and wants to integrate some absurdly enormous Asian transportation company that we can't even say or spell with this gigantic whatever we are. Well, XPO is already to big to wrap our heads around it so I know we ain't going to be able to comprehend any of that either. Take the check. Pray for good health. Love your family all that you can. Sometimes it's just that much better to be a simple man.
I agree with most of what you said but there is things that we can do to try to maintain what we have and maybe gain some back. I fear if we continue to just lie back and say "oh well" we're gonna get what we deserve. Hard work should be rewarded and both employee and employer will reap the benefit. This "it's all about results "is a short sighted reap the rewards now and to hell with future gain for only a few.
I think your spot on also on the long term prospect and what effect that will have on current employees.

Last edited:
I don't know a single city driver that will be upset over losing some residential deliveries. Also, they said we would be moving away from premium freight and moving into economy freight. Plenty more changes are coming.

Troll here. Didn't XPO initially do away with economy freight? You know, higher rates, less volume, less employees=higher profits? Don't get me wrong, happy long timers are working as I'm seeing an increase in sets running. But wtf, I would have expected a solid, unwavering business plan from a genius like Jacobs

Troll here. Didn't XPO initially do away with economy freight? You know, higher rates, less volume, less employees=higher profits? Don't get me wrong, happy long timers are working as I'm seeing an increase in sets running. But wtf, I would have expected a solid, unwavering business plan from a genius like Jacobs
There has been no economy freight increase that I've seen.

I concur on the no increase on economy freight. When xpo purchased us they did say they would possibly offer discount freight down the road. They also said they would indergrate last mile into our system and it seems that's underway now. Using the owner operator model could help offset some cost. Maybe once owner operators are in place they will start with discount freight Only time will tell if that's the plan. Big changes are in the wind that's for sure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I googled Paul Singer mentioned in the article. Sounds like he's a real winner. He's a true 1 percenter activist for the oligarchs.

Original plan was for roll out in fall of 2017. Certain technology needs to be in place before it can happen. We will see if and when it actually happens. Just like the last mile guys working out of some terminals. It's going to be relevant, where it's relevant.

Seems one the problems moving forward was the inability to buy out the minority shares of Norbert. This has led to not being able to fully utilize all of XPO's assets in the states. Including Jacobson. Which is a holding of Norbert. That's seems to be the reason he is looking to buy Ceva or a company similar. At least according to the many articles available on the subject floating about.