XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sat their like helpless sheep I remember saying to myself why does no one care as they told us. Most of the replies were " I don't know what are you gonna do"
Hell !!most, not all ,driver's sat there not having a clue of what management did. Most thought it only effected the new worker's.

666 you should know better. That wasn't coincidence. We got something because of all the outspoken people, who spoke with management and management agreed that giving was the right thing to do. The union was never a factor. All we had to do was give management another chance.
I know I forget how concerned they are about us sometimes. They do make things better if you choose not to go union.. just ask any Xwc guy.

For the record UPS is the biggest freight/package transportation company. Very profitable. They have pilots and drivers ( among others ) in unions.

It would appear that the money they pay for union representation goes to where they direct it. ( For the most part )

Why would it be so different if it were XPO?
Don't be silly you can't have a union and be profitable.

Well ,what did we do when they cut wage's benefits and cut the pension plan in 2008?
I didn't see any Employees in this area say anything or have the right to say anything. I spoke up and the response i got was every other company is doing it ,so are we.
I seem to remember you saying.This cut's didn't effect you guy's in Canada.
But what would have happened if Con-way was union? Would it have played the same way?
You didn't answer the question.

I know I forget how concerned they are about us sometimes. They do make things better if you choose not to go union.. just ask any Xwc guy.
Oh i forgot to mention 666. You don't need a 3rd party to represent you if you have any concerns or issues,why spend your money on a 3rd party? Just talk to management. But oh yes there is a But. If your center petitions the union. Well then who is the company going to get to talk? Oh that's right ,a 3rd party company representative, well known as a what? Come on class everyone say it all together. Union Buster. A 3rd party employee to management consultant. But remember now you don't need a 3rd party. Just the company does.

While I'm neither pro or anti-union ( and I've worked for both ) the fears that some express that would come from unionization are a reality already in a non-union environment.

Biggest sore point for a lot of coworkers is the lack of ability or desire for management to go after those that refuse to work. Those that refuse to contribute and be productive have protection that seems far stronger than ANY union representation I've ever seen.

If you are union and you worry about working at a non-union company , never fear. If you get a job at XPO all you need to do is keep management's expectations low. Don't follow simple directions. Take longer than average. Always have excuses. Be really nice to management. These easy steps will set you on your way to a long relaxing career of working less and getting paid the same as the guy stuck picking up your slack!

You didn't answer the question.
The corporation of union will not do anything unless it's paying members decide on what to do. If members want to let the company keep cutting then they will. But if the union members what to strike then there's a strike. But it all depends on how the worker's want to handle it.example.. L.A port worker's there not union. But they went on a strike. I don't think the union told to do that. But i could be wrong. Worker's or we need to stand united and fight for what work's best. For us and the company..

The corporation of union will not do anything unless it's paying members decide on what to do. If members want to let the company keep cutting then they will. But if the union members what to strike then there's a strike. But it all depends on how the worker's want to handle it.example.. L.A port worker's there not union. But they went on a strike. I don't think the union told to do that. But i could be wrong. Worker's or we need to stand united and fight for what work's best. For us and the company..
Still doesn't answer the question. What can the union do for us? Bargaining on our behalf is all I can see. What can they do if the company decides to change something?

UPS does not break out there different operating units on their P and L statement it is impossible to know if their ltl unit makes money or not. If they are anything like FedEx the ltl is there purely to enhance the customers service options not to make money. Their bread and butter is the package service. For the record FedEx does not break out their P and L for LTL either but there are several articles I have read that say they operate in the mid to high 90's for OR in the LTL unit. As for the other IBT shop's in LTL you can find their OR's. ABF seems to be most profitable and they average mid to upper 90's also.

It's impossible to compare other ltls to UPS and FedEx. Their size and scope are way to massive. XPO is big and getting bigger but we do not compare. I have also seen others post that the ltl division of XPO is the least profitable division of XPO, to clarify it depends on how you look at that. In terms of operating ratio we do have the least amount of margin but in terms of net profit we make more money than any other division.

While I'm neither pro or anti-union ( and I've worked for both ) the fears that some express that would come from unionization are a reality already in a non-union environment.

Biggest sore point for a lot of coworkers is the lack of ability or desire for management to go after those that refuse to work. Those that refuse to contribute and be productive have protection that seems far stronger than ANY union representation I've ever seen.

If you are union and you worry about working at a non-union company , never fear. If you get a job at XPO all you need to do is keep management's expectations low. Don't follow simple directions. Take longer than average. Always have excuses. Be really nice to management. These easy steps will set you on your way to a long relaxing career of working less and getting paid the same as the guy stuck picking up your slack!
I completely agree with this statement. I have had several conversations with regional manager and all of them say they do not want to press the issue because they worry about starting union drives. I tell them that them not addressing the problem drivers is probably 75% of the cause of the union movement. I know I am extremely frustrated. Every night it seems I have to pull the load for the driver in front of me and behind me because no one will hold them accountable for their run time. It causes the good employees to loathe the lazy ones and the lazy ones will always be unhappy until everything is a meet and turn on linehaul and they only have to do 3 deliveries in the city with 2 pickups in 8hrs and you better not ask them to work outbound dock either.

I am picking up what you are laying down I just don't think the union is the answer. At my barn the laziest drivers are the ones hollering union because they know they are getting a free ride right now and when the Piper comes calling they want that union steward to help keep from losing their job.

I am in know way accusing all pro union guys to be this type of person I can only tell you what I see with my eyes here.

I completely agree with this statement. I have had several conversations with regional manager and all of them say they do not want to press the issue because they worry about starting union drives. I tell them that them not addressing the problem drivers is probably 75% of the cause of the union movement. I know I am extremely frustrated. Every night it seems I have to pull the load for the driver in front of me and behind me because no one will hold them accountable for their run time. It causes the good employees to loathe the lazy ones and the lazy ones will always be unhappy until everything is a meet and turn on linehaul and they only have to do 3 deliveries in the city with 2 pickups in 8hrs and you better not ask them to work outbound dock either.

I am picking up what you are laying down I just don't think the union is the answer. At my barn the laziest drivers are the ones hollering union because they know they are getting a free ride right now and when the Piper comes calling they want that union steward to help keep from losing their job.

I am in know way accusing all pro union guys to be this type of person I can only tell you what I see with my eyes here.
The fact that the lazy worker exist at your terminal already disproves the notion that it's a union thing. They exist in both environments. Non workers eventually get weeded out . If someone thinks their gonna have an easier ( being a bum) time in a union environment I think they are mistaken

Still doesn't answer the question. What can the union do for us? Bargaining on our behalf is all I can see. What can they do if the company decides to change something?
Ok.i'm back. Again if we are in a contract with the company and they break that contract. The union can take them to court in our behalf, so either they don't change anything or they'll be paying us for the change.most of the time A strike is done when a new contract is due and the company doesn't want to give more or want's to take away.
Without a contract . Yeah the union can't do anything for us.
But a contract has to be in place so the union can protect us.

The fact that the lazy worker exist at your terminal already disproves the notion that it's a union thing. They exist in both environments. Non workers eventually get weeded out . If someone thinks their gonna have an easier ( being a bum) time in a union environment I think they are mistaken
People use that excuse all the time. Just like the Pension excuse. But again we're not union so where's our pension. Lazy people are in all type's of work environment whether be union or non union. Some people are just slow or lazy.

UPS does not break out there different operating units on their P and L statement it is impossible to know if their ltl unit makes money or not. If they are anything like FedEx the ltl is there purely to enhance the customers service options not to make money. Their bread and butter is the package service. For the record FedEx does not break out their P and L for LTL either but there are several articles I have read that say they operate in the mid to high 90's for OR in the LTL unit. As for the other IBT shop's in LTL you can find their OR's. ABF seems to be most profitable and they average mid to upper 90's also.

It's impossible to compare other ltls to UPS and FedEx. Their size and scope are way to massive. XPO is big and getting bigger but we do not compare. I have also seen others post that the ltl division of XPO is the least profitable division of XPO, to clarify it depends on how you look at that. In terms of operating ratio we do have the least amount of margin but in terms of net profit we make more money than any other division.
Ok i asked this question of the YRC people. Now i will ask you guy's. And please post your honest answer. We as industry have to think big.This country isn't much without the trucking industry..
Question is. What would happen to this industry if more companies where union?
?#2 would it change the standards for the better or for the worse?
And remember this isn't about just the Teamster's. It can be any union.

Status
Not open for further replies.