XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been going on for so long, I don't remember what event/s took place to spur this move to unionize into action? Can anyone refresh my memory? What specific thing/s happened to cause people to join the Teamsters?

Tell him I said congrats- word is that he was successful.

LTL drivers are not in the same category as airline pilots- let's not be too proud of ourselves.

I know you anxious to attack anything I post but I was responding to another post who compared us to Pilots and them having union cards. Your response confirmed what management feels and I thank you for that.
I consider myself an equal to a pilot when hauling double trailers down the road sometimes with fog so thick you wish you had the aid of radar to see what's out ahead or driving on a ice coated highway causing you to white knuckles the steering wheel for 10 hours without the luxury of a copilot to take over when your tired. I guess until you do that you would not understand.

Last edited:
I know you anxious to attack anything I post but I was responding to another post who compared us to Pilots and them having union cards. Your response confirmed what management feels and I thank you for that.
I consider myself an equal to a pilot when hauling double trailers down the road sometimes with fog so thick you wish you had the aid of radar to see what's out ahead or driving on a ice coated highway causing you to white knuckles the steering wheel for 10 hours without the luxury of a copilot to take over when your tired. I guess until you do that you would not understand.

Your assuming he's not a driver. That's bold. Who says your a driver? You could be a teamster boss... who's to say?

Reading through the decision, it sounds similar to what happened with XAU. The company refused to start bargaining until the appeals were completed. I suppose it makes sense- if you're going to get hit with a ULP anyway for not bargaining once you appeal the first time, might as well wait all the way until the appeals are exhausted, especially if the penalty is simply having to go to the table and post a notice. Seems weird to force bargaining to start while appeals are outstanding, though.

Whatever. It's a meaningless event anyway.
It would be meaningless fro
Your assuming he's not a driver. That's bold. Who says your a driver? You could be a teamster boss... who's to say?
Your right .. sometimes I go off on these little crazy notions. Gene is JUST a driver like the rest of us. I apologize to everyone here.

Why would I want to join.
This is why the union is after XPO and FedEx.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/slashed-pensions-another-blow-for-heartland-workers/
And how does that help them please explain ? We already established that NO money from union dues or retirement contributions were going to prop up those failing funds so again what's your point?
The article well establishes the reasons those funds are failing and know one is disputing that.
I have a feeling you wouldn't join a union for any reason and that your right but if your going to bring up reasons at least do your homework and come up with valid points

Last edited:
And how does that help them please explain ?
For one sec you do think money will be deverted to help out these underfund persons. It also proves that after all the promises the union made to theses workers and now can't deliver it. The article also explains why the pension system is failing.
Like us said the teamster had no interest in Conway FedEx back in the day but now need use but we don't need them

For one sec you do think money will be deverted to help out these underfund persons. It also proves that after all the promises the union made to theses workers and now can't deliver it. The article also explains why the pension system is failing.
Like us said the teamster had no interest in Conway FedEx back in the day but now need use but we don't need them
There all laws on the books that dictate where retirement money goes to .
I know this is hard for some to get in their heads but it's a fact and their is no one that is going to put in some clause in a contract agreeing to such funding so let's get that out of the conversation. That's a scare tactic used by persuaders.
I think your article pretty well explained what happened. The Teamsters can't control the market fluctuations that added to the underfunding nor when major companies contributing to the mepf's that close shop and move to Mexico or overseas. So how did they break promises?
Also back in the day your referring to the Teamsters didn't bother with Con-way because the employees didn't feel the need. We HAD a company paid pension, we didn't pay a cent for our healthcare. We HAD 10 payed sick days. I could go on about what we HAD but I think you get the point. I don't think they would have made any in roads back then. All those promises the company made have been broken ( pension Con-way pulled) have changed the playing field.

Fly I mean no disrespect to a fellow drive such as yourself I just don't see any validity in your claim but I welcome your discourse on that topic . I think it is wise on your part to question intent and gather as much fact on any given subject. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
It's been years and still no contracts. It'll probably be years from now and still no contracts. I'll believe it when I see it. They got the money and they own the business. There is so much that can happen. And they can continue to drag this thing out for quite a while. Just like back when they voted, there were idiots on here saying they had to have a contract within one year. The NLRB would force the company to do this and that. And here we are and none of any of that was true. But they sure do believe it could be. And these guys are all wound up believing the next could be. I guess some people just gotta have something to believe in.

I believe in the worst outcome is the most likely. If better results occur. Then there's nothing to bitch about.

Lower your standards far enough and it's pretty hard to be disappointed.
I think anything worth fighting for usually has it obstacles and takes time . Companies and federal and state legislatures have made it difficult at best to form a union in your workplace. Does this mean everyone should just give up ? There's as reason they don't want unions and it's not for our benefit . If you or anyone does not feel you need a union to keep from losing anymore benefits especially when working for a slash and cut Wall street'r I say go for it.
Respectfully

I think anything worth fighting for usually has it obstacles and takes time . Companies and federal and state legislatures have made it difficult at best to form a union in your workplace. Does this mean everyone should just give up ? There's as reason they don't want unions and it's not for our benefit . If you or anyone does not feel you need a union to keep from losing anymore benefits especially when working for a slash and cut Wall street'r I say go for it.
Respectfully
How can the union help save your benefits for example? The company can choose to cancel something, say the pension match, as a business decision. How can the union force the company to keep it? Strike?

Respectfully
Remember that the threat of a union can often be more powerful than actually having a union!

This has been going on for so long, I don't remember what event/s took place to spur this move to unionize into action? Can anyone refresh my memory? What specific thing/s happened to cause people to join the Teamsters?
Are you talking fifty years ago when guys were working twenty hour days for low pay and little or no benefits or are you talking in the last few years when companies decided not to pay overtime and charge the employees big dollars for sub standard health insurance?

For the record UPS is the biggest freight/package transportation company. Very profitable. They have pilots and drivers ( among others ) in unions.

It would appear that the money they pay for union representation goes to where they direct it. ( For the most part )

Why would it be so different if it were XPO?

For the record UPS is the biggest freight/package transportation company. Very profitable. They have pilots and drivers ( among others ) in unions.

It would appear that the money they pay for union representation goes to where they direct it. ( For the most part )

Why would it be so different if it were XPO?
One of the other mechanics just quit yesterday and he's going to UPS ,his starting pay is $32 free medical pension 401 and vacation. But i don't think that has anything to do with having representation. I think UPS just like's giving out money and benefits.

Last edited:
How can the union help save your benefits for example? The company can choose to cancel something, say the pension match, as a business decision. How can the union force the company to keep it? Strike?
Well ,what did we do when they cut wage's benefits and cut the pension plan in 2008?
I didn't see any Employees in this area say anything or have the right to say anything. I spoke up and the response i got was every other company is doing it ,so are we.
I seem to remember you saying.This cut's didn't effect you guy's in Canada.
But what would have happened if Con-way was union? Would it have played the same way?

Then we didn't get any raise's for a few year's. Then in late 2012 they said in 2013 will be giving a raise. Yeah they gave us a raise. This area got driver's .25c mechanic's .12c..and Con-way said we would like to give you more but we don't have any more.
Then what happens in 2013. Texas petition for representation. Then suddenly Con-way gives out 2 to 3 dollar raises mechanic's got a dollar. But i guess it had nothing to do with Texas. Con-way some how just found their heart and more money.

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/20140930-con-way-freight-to-boost-driver-wages-early-next-year/

And just in case someone missed this part on the link. I'll post part of it.
Today's announcement comes two weeks after a little more than 100 employees at Con-way Freight's service center in Laredo, Texas, voted for union representation by the Teamsters, the first union shop in the company's 31-year history. In addition, the Teamsters will hold representation elections on Oct. 23 at Con-way Freight

Then we didn't get any raise's for a few year's. Then in late 2012 they said in 2013 will be giving a raise. Yeah they gave us a raise. This area got driver's .25c mechanic's .12c..and Con-way said we would like to give you more but we don't have any more.
Then what happens in 2013. Texas petition for representation. Then suddenly Con-way gives out 2 to 3 dollar raises mechanic's got a dollar. But i guess it had nothing to do with Texas. Con-way some how just found their heart and more money.

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/20140930-con-way-freight-to-boost-driver-wages-early-next-year/
Do you think it was a coincidence they gave out a .70 cent pay raise weeks b4 a unions votes. Yes, your welcome.

Last edited:
Well ,what did we do when they cut wage's benefits and cut the pension plan in 2008?
I didn't see any Employees in this area say anything or have the right to say anything. I spoke up and the response i got was every other company is doing it ,so are we.
I seem to remember you saying.This cut's didn't effect you guy's in Canada.
But what would have happened if Con-way was union? Would it have played the same way?
We sat their like helpless sheep I remember saying to myself why does no one care as they told us. Most of the replies were " I don't know what are you gonna do"

Do think it was a coincidence they gave out a .70 cent pay raise weeks b4 a unions votes. Yes, your welcome.
666 you should know better. That wasn't coincidence. We got something because of all the outspoken people, who spoke with management and management agreed that giving was the right thing to do. The union was never a factor. All we had to do was give management another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.