XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the good for nothings dominate management. They weight on them so much that they not only positively impact their own situation. But can target and bury good workers to make them look terrible so that the lazy asses don't look bad themselves. " I can't believe that guy missed three deliveries and two pick ups ! Any body can do that route ! " Yeah, then you look at it and the working man got out at 1100 with 12 stops and 10 pickups before he left the gate and the sack of :::shit::: had 5 deliveries and then drove across town for a switch out after taking an hour lunch.

It's disgusting and offensive. The only good way to look at it is that as long as these nasty, trashy, filthy, useless and repulsive animals ( I wanna cuss and holler so freaking bad ) continue to be employed here. Any one that actually gives a :::shit::: and tries should have a job no problem.
That is because this company is so ball less that they won't even follow a driver. Maybe if you started following these lazy POS and firing a few the bullshit will stop

No one is going to strike. No one honors strikes. No benefits from strikes. That's why the first thing agreed to is a no walkout/ no lockout.
I was referring to the cancelling of our retirement, not a strike. No one will ever question what has happened here, much less step out on a limb to save it.

At UPS they have somethings XPO doesn't - minimum standards and expectations. The package car drivers have performance expectations, appearance expectations, pace expectations. They have schools they send new drivers to that simulate a route and they know how many steps it should take from one place to another. It's possible to fail to qualify as a driver. Aside from issues during the application process , when does an XPO driver not make it?

When is the last time a driver at XPO was punished for taking too long? How long is too long? XPO won't establish what the minimum bare basic amount of work they want out of people is. It's different from place to place and person to person with no standard which leads to lazy people having the best job in the world if they are at XPO.

If you are a lazy , good-for-nothing , POS driver , come on over to XPO where you set the standard by keeping expectations low. Management will have others pick up the slack and reward your desire for less work with easy assignments and good equipment and a nice check on Thursday.
This is practically spot on.

I saw that crap on a daily basis when I was at XPO (Conway). There was one guy who's first 'move' was to get right into the ear of our dispatcher in the morning with sob-stories like: "If I have to go here, I won't be able to make it there". Or: "They close at such-and-such time so I can't make that pickup...take those other four stops off of me." And so on and so forth. He's a good guy, but one of the laziest f***s I've ever worked with in my entire life. And...he still works there.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse. If I complain to management , I only do so when I have a suggestion on how to fix the problem. At least , that's my goal.

Talking with management day to day , they get frustrated with it too. ( the slackers ) If you can't fire these few people , you have to wonder why not and what can be done to them.

I mentioned this issue in the union thread because of the perception out there that unions = protection for the lazy. This is an issue that is separate from the union/non-union issue in my opinion. What I mean is that this is a leadership/culture/management issue that cannot be pinned on the drivers , dockworkers , and low level day to day people.

The argument to go union or not seems to have shifted from workplace rules to financial (including retirement) and medical issues over the last few decades. I think slackers fits in with workplace rules and the unwillingness of management to go after them. Doesn't someone higher up realize that these people (slackers) cost the company money just like a terrible wreck or damaged freight?

Last edited:
Considering the additional cost to the trucking companies incurred from dealing with the unions, I think they would price that expense into the cost of the service they provide and raise shipping rates. That cost would then be born by consignees who would price it into their products and services and ultimately you and I, Joe Consumer would experience higher prices for everything we buy.
Talking with some of the sales reps. OD is has one of the highest rates out there and they're non union.

That is because this company is so ball less that they won't even follow a driver. Maybe if you started following these lazy POS and firing a few the :horseshit: will stop
I can see now why a guy like you who works harder than most would not need a union. My guess you haven't worked here long enough yet, give it time .I have seen dozens with your "it's the other guys fault " crash and burn. Good luck with that.

A little advice .. And I mean this to help you out. Focus on your task for the day and let management handle their responsibilities if they can't take care of managing their people shame on them.
We got a bunch of mini manager want a be's at our barn and they just matters worse

It not a matter of not giving a ::shit:: but there has to be accountability on managements part and where that responsibility squarely lays. If they can't fix their stuff we're going nowhere

Last edited:
I can see now why a guy like you who works harder than most would not need a union. My guess you haven't worked here long enough yet, give it time .I have seen dozens with your "it's the other guys fault " crash and burn. Good luck with that.
I don't know of drivers need to be followed when there's at least 3 different kinds of GPS on a driver at any time. Maybe if there's a questionable driver , use the tools available. Then go from there.

Maybe also establish a company wide policy of how GPS will and won't be used , you know , set some guidelines.

I don't know of drivers need to be followed when there's at least 3 different kinds of GPS on a driver at any time. Maybe if there's a questionable driver , use the tools available. Then go from there.

Maybe also establish a company wide policy of how GPS will and won't be used , you know , set some guidelines.
They have already been using it for terminations at least 6 drivers that I know. You may think their not but trust me I know it would make your head explode if you seen what I have.
There's nothing their above doing or using to get the task done when they choose to be so motivated. If only they put such energy into fixing other stuff.

Last edited:
I think you're lack of respect possibly even for yourself and what you do may explain why you think you only deserve what ever the minimum company deems necessary to retain you. I personally Gene think you deserve better.

Repeat after me..I'm a truck driver and I'm proud of my chosen profession.

It seems you hold the same opinion as upper management that anyone with minimum training can do this job. That's why their in the quandary there in right now of not being able to fill seats. Take compensation down to its lowest possible level and try to attract new drivers ... not working to good is it?
I can't speak for other LTL's but my company seems to think that what's required retain me is a wage that's substantially higher than the the wages being paid at the YRC terminal across the street. Seems to me the Teamsters think it's members can be retained for cheap and so far.....they're right. As to lowest possible compensation, ours is still higher than what top pay is accross the street, so I don't get where you're coming from on this.

Oh!!! No!!! I misspelled a word. I have lost all self respect....
Not... Yeah some time's i misspell word's some time's my phone changes word's on me but sometimes i do it on purpose. Just to check who's a nitpicker.
But the way I look at it ,is. If your as smart as you think you are then you know what my point is.
By the way look out upnorth you misspelled a worn too. Someone will make a fuss about it and nitpick at it.
It wasn't so much about a misspelled word as it was the word that you mispelled. When I read your stuff, it looks as though you're trying to come off some kind of expert or something so to mispell the word union "steward" with "stuart," honestly I had to wonder. But considering spellcheck and trying to post from cell phones, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

So just like when Brad gets his multi million bonus it taps into the company spigot. Like that you mean...or is it only a drain when drivers ask for their fair share?
"Fair share," this is the buzz phrase that makes me crazy. Is the first priority of a business to create high paying jobs or to turn profits for the people who own the business and put their own money at risk to make it work? There is only one correct answer. Who wants to take a shot at it.

"Fair share," this is the buzz phrase that makes me crazy. Is the first priority of a business to create high paying jobs or to turn profits for the people who own the business and put their own money at risk to make it work? There is only one correct answer. Who wants to take a shot at it.
I will... Companies first obligation is to make profit without a doubt. It's how they see fit to distribute that profit amongst the employees wth whom without the company would cease to exist. Do we do it equitably or do we lavish only those at the top Who take the risk with opm .It's definitely a balancing act but if done correctly and with a social and moral compass everyone from the top dog, share holders and even the workers can reep the benefit. I know this is not the norm today in our corporate world where Wall Street rewards those who do just the opposite and maybe I'm an idealist but that's my .02cents.

Again I am all for making Mr Jacobs even wealthier but also come to work to make a decent living and do the best I can at what I do for myself and my family. I'm also about building an substainable work place were all can thrive from their investment.

Did you notice I didn't even you the buzz phrase "fair share" as to not offend you. See I can be really a nice guy.

Last edited:
  • Breach of Contract: If the withholding of wage rates violates an employment contract, the contract can serve as a basis for recovering retro pay
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/xpo-logistics-begins-show-cracks-philip-utama

XPO Logistics continues to rack up numerous wage theft lawsuits, the latest by customer service representatives in Illinois. All told, these lawsuits will likely cost the company millions of dollars in back-pay liability and attorneys’ fees.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/xpo-logistics-begins-show-cracks-philip-utama

XPO Logistics continues to rack up numerous wage theft lawsuits, the latest by customer service representatives in Illinois. All told, these lawsuits will likely cost the company millions of dollars in back-pay liability and attorneys’ fees.

XPO’s misclassified “independent contractors,” taxpayers are forced to pick up the tab as these workers likely don’t have health insurance, aren’t covered by workers’ compensation, and aren’t eligible for disability.

My point that I'm trying to get across with the pilot comparison is respect. No one denies that pilots go through years of training and their compensation levels generally reflect that but to say they deserve union representation and we as truck drivers don't because of are length of formal training is a broad view of those who never been behind a wheel in the situation I described.

Spare me the nonsense about respect. The only reason anyone brings up pilots in a union discussion is because of the perception that pilots are up there printing money while the autopilot does all the work. I think you'd be shocked at how much regional airline pilots make.

No one "deserves" or "doesn't deserve" a union- groups of employees collectively decide to form or join one. Not enough LTL drivers want to join one, so they won't have one at FedEx and we won't have one at XPO. Some people just can't accept that yet, and that's okay.

If it where so easy as you say 1 month of school ( which I see as another put down on drivers) then every yahoo ( your word describing truck drivers) would last at this job long term which we know most don't. To be a driver in the ltl business take a lot of learned skill and determination to deal with the conditions and long hours.

Go back and look at my post- I was talking about truckload carriers and why their wages are low. I'm not putting anyone down- you can get a CDL in a month, and the hiring standards are very low for OTR drivers. Further, I was saying that it's relatively easy to GET the job- I didn't say anything about keeping it. Nowhere did I say that it's an easy job. Trucking is a simple job- it's not an easy one.

And it's a little hypocritical of you to jump all over me for supposedly talking down to truck drivers when you've insinuated that I can't be a driver because I'm well spoken and know how to use Google. That's not exactly helping me with my "lack of self-respect" that you've also mentioned.

And about YRC. What are the members doing about it? Are they doing the samething the FedEx driver's did? Are they turning their back's on each other or they standing their ground?
My opinion is they turn their back on each other. But again that's just the way i see it.

I think it's really easy to sit there with your stable job at a successful company with solid benefits and criticize YRC employees for the choice they made. Real easy to be a tough guy until it's your life on the line. Too late to change jobs after a long career, company hanging by a thread, retirement uncertain- but hey, they're all cowards, right? That's pretty callous.

That's the same as saying your mortgage company is the reason the company can't give you a raise.

No, it isn't. The union dues are a factor of your wages. If you make more money, they get more money. And oh, look, they are bargaining to determine your wages! So saying that the union wants to come in and make money off the company is absolutely accurate, even if there isn't a literal payment directly from one to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.