XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:clapping:hahaha!!! I was wondering how long it was going to take before one of you guy's would catch that. I figured Gene would have jumped all over that.

All of your links dealt with breach of contract- XPO LTL doesn't have a contract. I'll happily concede that if the company violates a contract that there will be penalties- so what? No one is arguing that point. Where's the contract?

XPO’s misclassified “independent contractors,” taxpayers are forced to pick up the tab as these workers likely don’t have health insurance, aren’t covered by workers’ compensation, and aren’t eligible for disability.

Or we can promise them the moon in our contracts, refuse to adjust when it becomes unsustainable, watch companies fold and the bank account dwindle, and then hope to make their retirement the taxpayers problem. What's the difference?

All of your links dealt with breach of contract- XPO LTL doesn't have a contract. I'll happily concede that if the company violates a contract that there will be penalties- so what? No one is arguing that point. Where's the contract?

Or we can promise them the moon in our contracts, refuse to adjust when it becomes unsustainable, watch companies fold and the bank account dwindle, and then hope to make their retirement the taxpayers problem. What's the difference?
I'm sorry but didn't YRC employees vote to take a pay cut when the company nearly ran itself into the ground by over extending itself in buyouts. So this refuse to adjust thing doesn't hold ground.

I guess my thread I started about XPO being union in europe was deleted.im sorry about starting a new thread when there is one right here about unions.Ladies and gentleman when I blog something on truckingboards chances are good that I have experienced both sides of this union issue.There is a BIG chance that I had worked at a former XPO company before they were bought out.

I'm sorry but didn't YRC employees vote to take a pay cut when the company nearly ran itself into the ground by over extending itself in buyouts. So this refuse to adjust thing doesn't hold ground.

It wasn't enough, was it? That's what happens when you've got two entities trying to run the same company. You don't get credit for fixing the problem if you don't fix the problem.

It wasn't enough, was it? That's what happens when you've got two entities trying to run the same company. You don't get credit for fixing the problem if you don't fix the problem.
Hmmm..im not clear what you were implying Gene?I've been experiencing the Bill Zollar aftermath since the genisis of these pay concessions

Hmmm..im not clear what you were implying Gene?I've been experiencing the Bill Zollar aftermath since the genisis of these pay concessions

People want to have it both ways. They sell the union as a check on company power, and when they get raises or benefit increases, they are happy to take credit. But when they take concessions or the company shuts down, it's company mismanagement that they are powerless to stop. It cannot be both.

People want to have it both ways. They sell the union as a check on company power, and when they get raises or benefit increases, they are happy to take credit. But when they take concessions or the company shuts down, it's company mismanagement that they are powerless to stop. It cannot be both.
Someone or an entity asking for change that benefits them or their constituents is a lot different than managing the company and/or controlling it's finances. To conflate the two seems a bit disingenuous.

Someone or an entity asking for change that benefits them or their constituents is a lot different than managing the company and/or controlling it's finances. To conflate the two seems a bit disingenuous.

I agree, but that's part of the pitch, isn't it? Look back through this thread and note how much of the justification for organization is attached to management and finance. Things like safety of the equipment, executive compensation, engagement, communication, favoritism, acquisitions and the subservice boogeyman. Things the union won't do anything about, but somehow that's why we need the Teamsters. Disingenuous indeed.

I guess my thread I started about XPO being union in europe was deleted.im sorry about starting a new thread when there is one right here about unions.Ladies and gentleman when I blog something on truckingboards chances are good that I have experienced both sides of this union issue.There is a BIG chance that I had worked at a former XPO company before they were bought out.

Everything is union in Europe. We don't live in Europe.

Which is why union drives don't get very far. People get overwhelmed by a bunch of lip service and ridiculousness. And when you ask a real question it gets deflected. Makes for a tough sell. When you look around at all that is going on. There is one strong example. UPS. And the rest is ::shit::.

An example. During the big union push here years ago. The pro guys promised a strike fund that would pay people that didn't get to work if things got nasty. They told these guys that it would pay them their regular weekly wages until the strike was over. I laughed and said that was a lie. That I had been in that local and told we weren't aloud to strike. ( What ? why would they do that ? ) And if we did there was only enough money in the strike fund to give the first 8 guys $80 a day for 8 hours of picketing. Don't show up, you get nothing. If you're not in the 8 man goody two shoes click, you get nothing. ( That can't be true. You're making that up. ) Well when they went down on Saturday looking for the truth on that, guess what they heard ? It's from simple examples like this all the way up to big topics like you list. Double talk, false claims and empty promises.

The union likes to talk about being informed and getting educated. But there is a lot to learn about the union.

By the way. When I worked at UPS. Those guys are really smart and truly stand together. The strike fund there had enough money to pay everyone their regular wages for years. Literally, they told us two years guaranteed. But that some of the money was invested and they couldn't promise it or include it but that there was more money available if it was needed. That was 15 years ago already, but I learned a lot from the experience. A union is only as strong as it's members.

You look at what happened to CF and what do you see ? You look at what has happened at YRC and what do you see ?

Blame whichever management you want. It's the rank and file that decided their fate. Not some union local president or the companies VP of whatever. It was the rank and file.

Getting grouchy and typing angry. I need a nap.

I have one question what happened to the drivers out in Trenton? The word on the street is that the termination stood. That what I heard.
If this is true the isn't this what all you are fighting for clear cut work rules and if so then they broke the rules and now you want to protest. Can't have it both ways

I believe tlmost vetoed to keep a job and the other we told by the union this was a good thing

For the record UPS is the biggest freight/package transportation company. Very profitable. They have pilots and drivers ( among others ) in unions.

It would appear that the money they pay for union representation goes to where they direct it. ( For the most part )

Why would it be so different if it were XPO?
The only reason UPS got into freight is because FedEx did. From what I understand the freight end make little to no profit for them it just a selling tool

There's a big difference between the two pension programs. The Teamster pension is partially member funded, the Conway pension was fully company funded. Whether it was due to inablity to fund or not, it was in Conway's best financial interests to cancel our pension program and that's why they did it.
They easily could have asked us for a weekly contribution to help sustain the cost, (just like your health insurance) but didn't. Then they upped our 401k match to help offset the pension, and then quickly suspended that. All this stuff was preplanned and I can't be convinced differently. It's just too easy to see.
Last I remember the company paid so much to the medical and so much to the pension. All I every paid was union dues once a month. To me it sound like the company funds all the cost.

You can force the companies to better the standards across the board. If not all of them lose including the drivers but for a cause. IMO is the reason President Carter created the Motor Carrier Act. The Teamsters had more control over the country than the government. Just about all drivers was unionized and they moved over half of the country's products. They stopped America followed suit.
Remember it was the democrats the controlled the house, Senate, and the Pres when the deregulation was made law. Now the unions tell you to support that party. Doesn't make sense to me

The only reason UPS got into freight is because FedEx did. From what I understand the freight end make little to no profit for them it just a selling tool
You are right , overall. I was addressing the common complaint that unionization of XPO would lead to being in a failing pension fund.

To be fair , that does not have to happen , if you use UPS for an example , which is what my post did.

And , again , YES you have a good point when you say UPS Freight is there to fill out their overall portfolio to compete against FedEx.

As Highspeeds and others have said before , an organization is only going to be as strong and smart as the people involved. I think of some of those I work with and that sends a chill down my spine.

You all talk about standing as a group and supporting each other. So why don't the union members support their own? Do they make sure they shop at a store that has union labor, do they hire a union plumber, electrician, or carpenter? Now I know there is not always that opinion in all areas. I do think it funny when I go to Walmart and see those union license plates, hat, and coats shopping at Walmart when there is a union store right down the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.