XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read what I wrote again.That's the same deceptive sales pitch the organizers use. Contract, contract, contract. Yes, they are obligated by a contract, but you have to GET that contract first. Voting in the union gives you NOTHING. You have to ask for what you want at the bargaining table, and XPO is going to ask what you're going to give up in return. You think Jacobs is just going to write a check for you?
I read it correctly the first time, do I think Jacobs would willy nilly write a check? no, but I do think he is smart enough to know the difference between being cheap and keeping labor peace, not talking about a strike but how would you react (and by the sounds of it many are) If you were told I'm not going to give what the rest of the company (and the country) gets just because I can?

Read what I wrote again.That's the same deceptive sales pitch the organizers use. Contract, contract, contract. Yes, they are obligated by a contract, but you have to GET that contract first. Voting in the union gives you NOTHING. You have to ask for what you want at the bargaining table, and XPO is going to ask what you're going to give up in return. You think Jacobs is just going to write a check for you?
I am not pro or anti union. I am pro getting paid and having a good work environment.

Voting in the union is a fairly long process that historically , large corporations ( FedEx , Con-way , XPO , etc. ) spend millions of dollars on , throw all kinds of attorneys at , and carpet bomb employees with messaging to take the corporate stance.

Is there a better way to put pressure on upper management , to communicate displeasure with the current conditions , or simply ask for more , than to begin the process of unionization?

At the very least , once the process of unionization begins , executives have to determine why it happened in the first place and maybe correct the issues and problems to stop unionization or risk the a movement becoming a reality and spreading.

Union talk is easily stopped by fair pay , benefits and work environment practices.

In my opinion , heavy handed scare tactics and strategies will only make things worse.

Last edited:
Here is something to ponder, the company hires a "labor consulting company" to assist them with their labor issues, why would the hire a third party for this when they clearly tell the rank and file no third party is needed you can talk to us directly? My opinion is they hire this company because this is what this company does, they don't run a trucking company they bust unions. Now why wouldn't the rank and file hire a company (labor union) that specializes in labor issues, just like the company does? why is it ok for the company to hire a third party but not the rank and file?

They were bringing in xpo last mile contractors to peddle are freight at xph. Local management wanted to use temps but xpo upper management insisted they use xpo contractors. Do you see where it was Going. There is someone posting here that echos the union busters points to closley to be a coincidence.

All new employees going forward are only getting 3 weeks vacation max . 1 week after 1 yr ,2 weeks after 3 and 3 weeks after 5 yrs. Ask your Tm.

I know its hard to accept and puts many of in an uncomfortable Place to think about it but this is no longer Con-way as we knew it. This company no longer puts value on hard working dedicated workers but merely thinks of them as disposable here today gone tomorrow workers. Please take your time and research what other Xpo entities pay and the quality of workers they hire.
Make your own conclusion.

Last edited:
All new employees going forward are only getting 3 weeks vacation max . 1 week after 1 yr ,2 weeks after 3 and 3 weeks after 5 yrs. Ask your Tm.

I know its hard to accept and puts many of in an uncomfortable Place to think about it but this is no longer Con-way as we knew it. This company no longer puts value on hard working dedicated workers but merely thinks of them as disposable here today gone tomorrow workers. Please take your time and research what other Xpo entities pay and the quality of workers they hire.
Where did you hear the rumor about vacation for new employees?

They were bringing in xpo last mile contractors to peddle are freight at xph. Local management wanted to use temps but xpo upper management insisted they use xpo contractors. Do you see where it was Going. There is someone posting here that echos the union busters points to closley to be a coincidence.

What? This is the first I've ever heard of that happening. What name was on the doors of the last mile trucks? Any idea how they were getting paid? What terminals were they going to? Night runs or day runs?

We need more people to put out the information like this.

I don't know if this is the truth or not but it's scary to think about, but hey I can see it happening.

That's XPO's choice to set out new rules for new hires. They aren't taking away from current employees, are they? Nope. That would be a really bad idea.

Because I don't believe that anyone is truly getting "screwed" here. Wages and benefits at every company are the minimum that they can legally pay you and still attract and retain the employees that they want and keep those employees happy. People come to Con-way/XPO and they work hard and most of them stay. That tells me most people think our compensation is fair, or at least acceptable.

Even if you don't, or there are things you'd really like to change, the Teamsters are NOT the answer. The things you'd trade just to get a chance to bargain with no guarantees are simply not worth it.

Nope, I'm a city driver- was here before the recession and before they froze the pension.
Most of them stay? Where have you been I've seen divers with twenty three years quit several with ten or more going to fed ex or od. You obviously haven't been paying attention. We hire drivers straight out of driving school I guess that's why we're getting automatics.

Most of them stay? Where have you been I've seen divers with twenty three years quit several with ten or more going to fed ex or od. You obviously haven't been paying attention. We hire drivers straight out of driving school I guess that's why we're getting automatics.
You are exactly correct. The automatic transmission is for new hires incapable of driving manual transmissions.

The contractors that we have at xph are renting their trucks from Penske and other companys. They are mostly out of New jersey and they only so far deliver freight. No pick ups. The freight they deliver is not Last mile freight. They were bought in to " help out" were told. then we were told it was experimental. When asked who they work for they tell us xpo.

As too the vacation being limited too 3 weeks ask your management...don't just take my word.

Last edited:
Most of the last mile drivers drive rental trucks and are contracted to xpo. We have a couple of there warehouses in are service area none of the trucks are company owned vehicles. There business model is based contracted owner operator or lease vehicles.

Guys please do yourself right and look into what im telling you...I could be anybody blowing smoke up your ass. I want you to get the info from your management..
Whats going on at xph is not some spur of the moment reactionary movement to some recent events. Its a well thought out and combined stand to what we see as to a loss of respect and a real threat to both company we built and are economic future.

That's XPO's choice to set out new rules for new hires. They aren't taking away from current employees, are they? Nope. That would be a really bad idea.

That's right....it's not a good idea to treat employees at the same company different than others.

Most of the last mile drivers drive rental trucks and are contracted to xpo. We have a couple of there warehouses in are service area none of the trucks are company owned vehicles. There business model is based contracted owner operator or lease vehicles.
I'm not one to put this past ANY company, but I would really like to see some video or pics of this going on. That would really push the argument miles for all watching. BTW, I'm not doubting your statement in the least bit.

The contractors that we have at xph are renting their trucks from Penske and other companys. They are mostly out of New jersey and they only so far deliver freight. No pick ups. The freight they deliver is not Last mile freight. They were bought in to " help out" were told. then we were told it was experimental. When asked who they work for they tell us xpo.

As too the vacation being limited too 3 weeks ask your management...don't just take my word.

They will usually have a Class B license with no air brake or HM endorsements
Drive the small straight trucks with no authority saying they work for XPO but are paid on a 1099 form, not a W-2 like a regular employee paid a set % of the freight charges
Can not and will not haul HM shipment and extra heavy shipments due to the contract they have with their rental companies that have the truck they like the small fast shipments cause they are paid a minimum no matter their % of charge
I look for this interweaving to continue to many areas; much like the old interline before deregulation in the 70's.

Guys please do yourself right and look into what im telling you...I could be anybody blowing smoke up your ass. I want you to get the info from your management..
Whats going on at xph is not some spur of the moment reactionary movement to some recent events. Its a well thought out and combined stand to what we see as to a loss of respect and a real threat to both company we built and are economic future.
Management either doesn't know ANYTHING or isn't saying anything since xpo bought us

Status
Not open for further replies.