XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain terminals depending on operation size have full time yard guys. They do all moves for road drivers foreign or domicile at start coming thru and end of shift. Fueling and placards as well. That’s where you file for a man taking your work, yeah some will say I don’t trust another mans work. You supposed to do a pretrip all equipment so you know the work was done right. For flexibility at smaller terminals Road does switch only when coming thru unless supplements states it’s still local cartage work, but never at beginning and end of shift. According to a family member and on here you guys bid start times not vicinity in city. Why should and senior man be forced to take a run that he doesn’t prefer deliver in and risks late or missed pickups. Your more efficient in areas you know. Let’s say a road driver gets in and they let him work inbound and he is taking on extra hours that a city guy could be doing but now he is scraping for hours due to a man in another classification did it for him. That’s where you need work protection.
To me, what you're saying sounds like a lot of unnecessary man hours brought about by redundancy. I used to run linehaul. I hooked my set, I put them to the doors at the foreign domicile, hooked another, came home, but them to the doors, fueled the tractor, did paperwork and went home, all by myself. As a city driver, what does the city guy do if his start time is 9am but the trailer for his delivery area isn't built yet? Is he allowed to hit the dock with a forklift and dig out his freight, or would that be "taking" someone's work?

To me, what you're saying sounds like a lot of unnecessary man hours brought about by redundancy. I used to run linehaul. I hooked my set, I put them to the doors at the foreign domicile, hooked another, came home, but them to the doors, fueled the tractor, did paperwork and went home, all by myself. As a city driver, what does the city guy do if his start time is 9am but the trailer for his delivery area isn't built yet? Is he allowed to hit the dock with a forklift and dig out his freight, or would that be "taking" someone's work?

If I'm not mistaken, work rules that are quite similar to what we do now could probably be implemented. Maybe with limitations to how many dock hours could be put in on what run run length, etc. I don't think you'd be bound to the rules we see other lines having. Even YRC has "utility drivers" that work the dock.

Some operations have city guys do the work on dock he’ll we do it at my terminal. I’ve used to work at southeastern and their city guys just drove yard hooked sets mechanics pretrip the truck only thing city/Road did was fuel tractors. If you have city doing all work it may put him low on his hours to where he isn’t efficient on the street.

So how does it work if the whole network isn’t unionized? If I’m at a union fac, I have to follow their rules? What about the other way around?

What the Miami workers want is to keep going to work. They don't want to be bothered by this Union mess. There's over 90 employees at the Miami terminal. Less than 20 are on strike. 20 that's it. I talked to their linehaul drivers tonight and they want no part of this Union action. They ran a full load of drivers up from Miami to Orlando. The strike is a joke. The union down there is a joke. All it's done is screw those drivers. The union is a joke.
Wrong on so many points. If you want to know the facts, please ask and I will be happy to reply.

Work stoppage? ( The terminal )They kept working. What did the strikers gain by this? Even if XPO is wrong?
When the NLRB ruled in our favor, the company fired their attorney and retained a new law firm to file the appeal. The new firm asked for and extention to familiarize themselves with the case AND to formulate a settlement agreement that would make an appeal unnecessary. We waited for 3 months to hear their offer and heard nothing. No one wanted to strike and it was a difficult thing to do. Unfortunately, it is the only tool we have. Patience can go only so far and the company is well versed in their tactics to delay and discourage their own employees from joining a union. They would rather pay lawyers and union busters than the people who actually do the work. Some kept working, but the strike had a big impact on the amount of work left behind. What we gained is what was due to us for 3 years; our raises and our back pay.

When the NLRB ruled in our favor, the company fired their attorney and retained a new law firm to file the appeal. The new firm asked for and extention to familiarize themselves with the case AND to formulate a settlement agreement that would make an appeal unnecessary. We waited for 3 months to hear their offer and heard nothing. No one wanted to strike and it was a difficult thing to do. Unfortunately, it is the only tool we have. Patience can go only so far and the company is well versed in their tactics to delay and discourage their own employees from joining a union. They would rather pay lawyers and union busters than the people who actually do the work. Some kept working, but the strike had a big impact on the amount of work left behind. What we gained is what was due to us for 3 years; our raises and our back pay.
Thank you

Be prepared the twist and turn here on the truth is nothing less than astonishing. The facts are routinely ingnored here. The truth ALWAYS prevails

Last edited:
After reading all the posts since the beginning of this thread including the recent ones from Hollywoodz and Troubleman84, I'm trying to figure out a unionized shop would benefit me personally, I mean in the end, isn't that what it comes down to? Each man voting for or against the union based on how it affects him and not the others. At this point, based on my personal situation with my management team, I see a guy like me gaining nothing by representation, but the turd birds, who on occasion make my work life more difficult, gaining more. At this point, if I were to vote "aye" for the union, I would be doing it so as to not appear to my co-workers as being against them, not a good choice for me at this point.

ScotchNeat post: 1254742 said:
After reading all the posts since the beginning of this thread including the recent ones from Hollywoodz and Troubleman84, I'm trying to figure out a unionized shop would benefit me personally, I mean in the end, isn't that what it comes down to? Each man voting for or against the union based on how it affects him and not the others. At this point, based on my personal situation with my management team, I see a guy like me gaining nothing by representation, but the turd birds, who on occasion make my work life more difficult, gaining more. At this point, if I were to vote "aye" for the union, I would be doing it so as to not appear to my co-workers as being against them, not a good choice for me at this point.
I would hope that people would vote in the intrest as a group collectively and not just what effects them alone. So I would answer no to that.

We have always bid start times, not locations. That has never changed. Nothing to protect. And most terminals keep city kitties in the same areas wherever possible. And if a driver is overworked and loaded up where others have light days, that’s easy to fix. Every driver knows how to fix that. As for union companies trusting a mule to properly hook my set, no :censored: way I’m trusting anybody. It’s my set. I’m doing a pre trip whether you like it or not.
one of our FAC has dockworks in train driving the jockey truck in the yard. There no way I would trust him hooking my set

I would hope that people would vote in the intrest as a group collectively and not just what effects them alone. So I would answer no to that.
Just before my father died, he came to my house and planted a mango tree. When I asked him why, he said although he would never enjoy the fruits of his labor, he knew that his family would and hoped we would think of him whenever the tree bore fruit. I will never personally benefit from my participation in this campaign, however, it is the love respect and admiration I have for my coworkers that moves me to do the right thing here. With all due respect, the company depends on the me, myself and I philosophy to divide and conquer.

This is what I mean when I say some people have an agenda. They claim they’re here to correct false statements, yet ignore true statements about the Teamsters being corrupt because a union that steals from its memebers is hard to sell.
The simple fact is that is they bitich that the govt screw up there pension. The truth is there illegal active is what brought the govt in. If you take away the all that illegal active guess what there would not have been any govt interventions

I have seen so many guys over the years that thought they were so superior in every respect that the company couldn't survive wlthout them. They are surprised when their terminated.

I have seen so many guys over the years that thought they were so superior in every respect that the company couldn't survive wlthout them. They are surprised when their terminated.
wow our place falls apart when the bottom 5 city guys all take off at the same time. I will say our dock is very clean by the end of the week though from having to mop up all those tears.

Yea you know that don't happen. The team effort is long gone here it's all about me, myself and I. They get theirs and that all they care about.

The simple fact is that is they bitich that the govt screw up there pension. The truth is there illegal active is what brought the govt in. If you take away the all that illegal active guess what there would not have been any govt interventions
If we are talking facts, there is no way to compare the 1980's teamsters to the organization it is today. 20 years or so of government stewardship has eliminated all mob connections.

If we are talking facts, there is no way to compare the 1980's teamsters to the organization it is today. 20 years or so of government stewardship has eliminated all mob connections.
but you just can't blame the CSPF problems only on the govt. The Teamster past active cause the govt to step in. Most here don't want any part of that mess. In fact I posted a letter ABF sent out about the same issue of the pension saying that they were paying in more then their employees were allowed to claim when they retire. I want nothing to do with any pension they are so 1980s and with the way companies go out of business or change hand makes even high the change we get screwed. Just look at the con-way pension plan. The only thing I would agree to is that the money put into any retirement plan is all 100% mine and mine alone. If you go back in this thread and read it just think how big your 401k or roth would be if the company only put half of what ABF is paying into that screwed up pension and the bonus is it would be ALL you money.

Status
Not open for further replies.