XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, 60% say that they approve, but in that same article it says that only 10% said they're actually a union member. Makes perfect sense- I agree with it. I'm fine with unions, as long as they are at other companies.

That's what I thought when I read this. I didn't ask if they needed or wanted a union in their place of work.

Absolutely.

Understandable, since they didn't start a business to improve my life. Everyone would like to have more, but if you don't have a quality life on what we make you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Not true. I believe that we can influence company policy without representation. Where most people get confused is in the difference between "influence" and "change it to exactly what I want".
Are you agreeing that we are better off with representation? They may not have started a business with my quality of life in mind, however, if I do the work, I expect to be compensated to the extent that I can have a good life outside of work and when my work is done. What kind of life is it when your compensation package allows you to pay your bills and nothing more. Nobody expects to "change it to exactly what I want". That's ridiculous. I have stated before that the company gets to run their business. We expect to have input on how they do it.

This is the union sales pitch. Don't worry about the ramifications. Just look at what you might get.
Once again, you have both twisted the statement in order to contradict it. Every contract negotiation begins with the business agent requesting a copy of the company Policies and Procedures manual. The negotiations BEGIN there. The union offers proposals over and above what the company has in place in the present time. The company offers counter proposals in an attempt to keep their policies and procedures in place. The negotiations continue until the articles are agreed upon by both parties. No business agent will bring a contract proposal back to the bargaining unit that is less than what they already have. Period. The only exception is when a contract is being renewed and the company has recorded losses in previous years. In those instances, givebacks are offered in order to help the company get back on its feet. YRC is an example of the union conceding to the company with the express intention of saving the company from it's own mismanagement.

Once again, you have both twisted the statement in order to contradict it. Every contract negotiation begins with the business agent requesting a copy of the company Policies and Procedures manual. The negotiations BEGIN there. The union offers proposals over and above what the company has in place in the present time. The company offers counter proposals in an attempt to keep their policies and procedures in place. The negotiations continue until the articles are agreed upon by both parties. No business agent will bring a contract proposal back to the bargaining unit that is less than what they already have. Period. The only exception is when a contract is being renewed and the company has recorded losses in previous years. In those instances, givebacks are offered in order to help the company get back on its feet. YRC is an example of the union conceding to the company with the express intention of saving the company from it's own mismanagement.

By less that what they already have, you mean they may take less of this because they want more of that. More health care could lead to less wages. More PTO could lead to less of something else. And it's by majority. So there are always going to be the guys that don't want something and get stuck with it any way.

This is an honest question. And you come back with we stood strong against shiny wheels ? What about the pension and the give backs ? Holy crap. Do you people seriously care more about rims than compensation ?
It's not about shiny rims. How we all get so far off on a tangent is incredible to me. I think we can all agree that these companies are all about profit. It's the corporate way and it's expected. When profit is the primary motive, all else falls by the wayside, including the men and women who actually do the work. I will use Delta Airlines as an example here. Years ago, Delta used employee files to fire their senior reservations agents, one by one and replaced them with temps. I don't think I need to explain why they did so. My wife, who was an exemplary 10 year employee was fired because she had more than the allowable tardies early in her career. The attorney with whom we spoke said there was a remote chance that he could get her reinstated, however, he would need a 20K retainer to begin the process. Had she been represented by a union, she'd probably still be working there.

By less that what they already have, you mean they may take less of this because they want more of that. More health care could lead to less wages. More PTO could lead to less of something else. And it's by majority. So there are always going to be the guys that don't want something and get stuck with it any way.
Ultimately, the bargaining unit winds up with more than what they have when the process began.

I dident take you long to figure this board out....

At least that is the intention. As you said if it doesn't work out then you decertify. There is no guarantee of getting more of everything or anything.
This is what I mean when I say there is no risk. When you certify, contract talks begin. Until you ratify a contract, you can decertify at any time. After ratification, you're in for the term of the contract. You can decertify when the contract expires. It seems that when you consider the possible advantages of a union contract, it makes perfect sense to give it a shot. You never know what can happen when you try something new.

This is what I mean when I say there is no risk. When you certify, contract talks begin. Until you ratify a contract, you can decertify at any time. After ratification, you're in for the term of the contract. You can decertify when the contract expires. It seems that when you consider the possible advantages of a union contract, it makes perfect sense to give it a shot. You never know what can happen when you try something new.
You know what's LIKELY to happen though. You and others going through the process have documented the subtle and not-so-subtle actions that company actors have taken against you and others seeking to unionize.

So , there is a risk. Protection of your job and your status is not assured.

Even if a person would like to support unionization , that same person has to know that they are painting a bullseye on their back for a large , powerful , well funded company like XPO.

For me , this is part of the reason I am pro-driver and not pro-union ( not anti-union either ): The guy on the bottom , the working man takes all the risk and does all of the work.

Are you able to answer this publicly : Who is it that assists your group on the path to unionization? ( Is it lawyers? Any drivers , current drivers from other union companies? Is it higher-up suits from the union? ) In other words , the union is supposed to represent the working man and woman...in your process to unionize , when you sit down to work on agreement , whose sitting next to you?

You know what's LIKELY to happen though. You and others going through the process have documented the subtle and not-so-subtle actions that company actors have taken against you and others seeking to unionize.

Even if a person would like to support unionization , that same person has to know that they are painting a bullseye on their back for a large , powerful , well funded company like XPO.

For me , this is part of the reason I am pro-driver and not pro-union ( not anti-union either ): The guy on the bottom , the working man takes all the risk and does all of the work.

Are you able to answer this publicly : Who is it that assists your group on the path to unionization? ( Is it lawyers? Any drivers , current drivers from other union companies? Is it higher-up suits from the union? ) In other words , the union is supposed to represent the working man and woman...in your process to unionize , when you sit down to work on agreement , whose sitting next to you?
The best part of all of this is that you don't need to paint a bullseye on your back. Your support of the union need not be made public at all. Here in Miami, we attended the first meeting at the union hall. In our case, we approached the union for assistance. In many other cases, one employee may drum up support within his own terminal. If enough drivers show interest, an organizer will come down and hold meetings to see if there is enough support to hold an election. So, assistance comes first from within and if enough support is there, a union organizer will assist further. Often, business agents and officials of the local will sit in on meetings to answer any questions that might arise. Before the vote, other drivers, like myself, will get involved by speaking to the individuals at the terminal awaiting their vote. After certification, when contract talks begin, the International provides an attorney to sit in on the negotiations, along with a business agent, who does the actual negotiating and one or two drivers from the unit, usually just to take notes and provide insight as to what policy is being implemented at the specific terminal.

Having had issues in the past and after a 25 year period of having the US government stand as Trustee for any and all union business, the Teamsters are incredibly careful that all actions and procedures are within the law. In effect, especially in a small terminal, only one or two drivers need to put their balls on the table. Everyone else can support the process in silence. Labor law protects employees from retaliation and termination. It prohibits companies from moving or shutting down to avoid unionization. We know that the company has already broken the law by firing select employees at 4 terminals...HOWEVER, the Teamsters have secured employment for all those who have been fired. They will be reinstated with back pay, if they choose to return. At least two have been placed in positions so much better than where they were, they have refused to return. They will receive their back pay as a bonus. You may see this differently, but I still see it as a no risk situation. And as I have said before, the union is not a permanent condition. You can always decertify if you are unhappy. Final thought...HOW MANY OF THE 1.4 MILLION TEAMSTERS HAVE CHOSEN TO DECERTIFY IN THE PAST 50 YEARS. I'm taking a shot here because I really don't know the answer to this question. I am assuming that since I couldn't find it on google, that the vast majority of Teamsters are happy with their situation.

I have talked to the drivers that sit at the negotiation table and they have the following people at the Table at EVERY negotiation ; The president of the local , business agent from the local , Head negotiator from the IBT , Lawyer from the IBT that oversees all negotiation with XPO and two drivers from the terminal.

As for assistance we have every Officer from the local at are disposal, the representing lawyer for the local. Support from the IBT lawyers, organizers and negotiators are all just a phone call away day or night. No bs .

Plus lawyers from the NLRB are always there to answer questions even on the weekends.

No one stands alone

Last edited:
We are free to flip flop here. And many do. Road and city. Bid to bid. Which is why I cover both in the post.

Not off base. And the analogy was concise.

You and your coworkers did as instructed by the company. And the union made sure you did as you were told. 2019 is nearly here. Still think it was a good idea ? To give the company so much ? Was it worth it to be no better off ? Them balloon payments are going to make it very difficult in the very near future. Eventually, the shell game will end and the debt will be due.

My opinion is not relevant. But of course I feel that I work as hard as the next guy. So, I should get paid the same as the next guy. I do understand the logic behind different pay scales. It is a big country. The local economy is different from place to place.

I do not understand the logic behind having some regions with different OT. But with that said. There is no way that the company will go to OT after 8 in the south. They will go to OT after 50 or 60 everywhere before they do that. They already pay the dockhands with the OT after 50 here. If they thought they could do it with out crippling losses they would have already done it to the drivers here as well.
Yes I think it was worth it from where we are now to 08-09 is night and day financially wise. Read earnings call lost money due to double down in equipment purchases rental equipment and PT. Debt refinanced at lower rate maturity dates pushed back and cut in half was due in 2019. Yes I do think it was worth it. Yet even with cuts you like to try pounce on I’m still at same level as majority of yours and other non union carriers except the everyday day hard chargers. So something ain’t right about picture, man makes -15% run average miles (500) and still on par with a high mileage rate driver think about it.

They can afford to OT after 8 rate across nation hell Fedex pays it now and there just above you guys in top 25. Holland been paying OT after 8 for decades down south plus central regions and O/R stayed in high 80s prior to yellow purchase us. The contract gives them flexibility as a regional short haul carrier and they exploit it to the T. Uhhh who you think was carrying the weight thru the dark times?

We also have some barns that has one board and you can flip every 6 months.

If the company charges same rates in same lanes to same customers giving discounts where needed and they collect all profits why can’t it be the same rate across board for workers. Guarantee you guys don’t haul cheap freight out of huge markets of Atlanta and Dallas.

That's just plain dumb. Whatever makes you happy. Joins a loser and feels like a winner. Okay.

At least you ain't sitting on welfare. But then, with as much as the YRC debacle has probably cost America. It might be cheaper to get you on the government card.

You always talk about the total compensation. What about the total loss ? I wonder what that adds up to ?

Economic guys always talk about how " Mc " jobs are losses for the economy. Those people don't have health care or livable wages and it costs tax payers more than if those people didn't work at all. Obviously, you're wages and health care are better. But there is still a cost to all of this give back stuff. I wonder what that is. In total. How much it has hurt in lost tax revenue. Unemployment payments. So on.
Refer to previous post on your first part.

I agree give backs where hard to swallow especially when you gave a House note back a month yet Im content till this next vote due acceptance of the majority vote.

That’s plain dumb to say city drivers down south do same job as me yet you agree they should be paid less. Don’t you think the company might see that as a mental tactic since they know northern drivers with raise more hell (organize) and south will just be grateful for job?

Why do you keep bringing up companies ? In this line of posts we are talking about unions. The electricians union represents electricians from many companies. The Teamsters used to represent drivers from many different companies. This has nothing to do with Verizon AT&T or any other specific company. Where are you getting that from ?

The union electrician has a clear advantage over the non union peer. That is not true in trucking.
Unions look at companies books during negotiations? They look at market for drivers economy etc. IBEW UAW they all go thru books they just say we want this amount blindly. Look at buster brown they rates thru the roof ( package drivers earn it ) yet look at how much they profit. You can’t compare unions to unions in different industries and different companies.

That's just plain dumb. Whatever makes you happy. Joins a loser and feels like a winner. Okay.

At least you ain't sitting on welfare. But then, with as much as the YRC debacle has probably cost America. It might be cheaper to get you on the government card.

You always talk about the total compensation. What about the total loss ? I wonder what that adds up to ?

Economic guys always talk about how " Mc " jobs are losses for the economy. Those people don't have health care or livable wages and it costs tax payers more than if those people didn't work at all. Obviously, you're wages and health care are better. But there is still a cost to all of this give back stuff. I wonder what that is. In total. How much it has hurt in lost tax revenue. Unemployment payments. So on.
What has the YRC debacle cost America?

It's not just central states. There are a load of failing pensions across the country. I think people refer to CSPF as it's the biggest and most known example. There are of course people that are doing great. And those people seem to have no trouble turning their backs on their union " brothers " that didn't fair as well as they did.
Neat trick how you trying to twist. You sound like a new guys who just don’t understand how unions are or structured. You two must be related.

This is an honest question. And you come back with we stood strong against shiny wheels ? What about the pension and the give backs ? Holy crap. Do you people seriously care more about rims than compensation ?
Man you don’t pay attention at all. Last time we agreed on two concessions filled contracts since recession. Recession over contract up next year that’s when we dig in and see where company stands. You throw out there what have we stood up for and I gave you two examples. Now you let’s say together high speed will be more specific next time in regards to questions ok!!!!! Your jabs are weak but that’s my opinion I hope you can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.