XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of those suddenly got worse. But the disappointing news about the raise this spring came from the East coast before the company shared it. I wonder if them boys know some ::::shit:::: that we don't
from what I’ve heard them and Vineland are on a lower pay scale then the rest of the state. Even Trenton which is right up the road makes about a dollar an hr more. Apparently this has been a complaint for yrs, and they been promised several times by several higher ups this would be fixed. Since it never has that’s probably a major point of anger for the drivers willingness to go union.

from what I’ve heard them and Vineland are on a lower pay scale then the rest of the state. Even Trenton which is right up the road makes about a dollar an hr more. Apparently this has been a complaint for yrs, and they been promised several times by several higher ups this would be fixed. Since it never has that’s probably a major point of anger for the drivers willingness to go union.
A lot of these varying pay scales the company has were set years ago when the company hired a consultant to do an analysis across the country to determine pay rates based on very specific job markets .At one time we were told there were dozens of different pay rates based on this analysis. They have since streamlined it a little but there is a wide variation.

Vineland. Cinnaminsom. Rockaway. N.j. all make 125 per hour less than Trenton south Plainfield Newark carlstadt elmsford xiy xfy xby also 2 cents per mile

A lot of these varying pay scales the company has were set years ago when the company hired a consultant to do an analysis across the country to determine pay rates based on very specific job markets .At one time we were told there were dozens of different pay rates based on this analysis. They have since streamlined it a little but there is a wide variation.
With the compartmentalization of information ( pay rates , policies , agendas , etc...) the ability to understand and/or know what's going on that may impact you is getting increasingly difficult.

For instance , at a nearby terminal , drivers working less than three years have not topped out , yet there are drivers being re-hired that will be at top pay and have the PTO accrual rate of a 15 , 16 , and 17 year drivers.

This type of blatant , in-your-face unfairness will not push people to unionize , it will drag them kicking and screaming into the arms of a union.

P.S. , a talking point of anti-union people is that a union takes away the connection between management and the people that do the work. Lack of communication , lack of access to management , lack of action when a problem is brought to management's attention , and finally numerous hidden agendas will only shove those who work and don't want to leave XPO to willingly fix what is being broken.

P.S. , a talking point of anti-union people is that a union takes away the connection between management and the people that do the work. Lack of communication , lack of access to management , lack of action when a problem is brought to management's attention , and finally numerous hidden agendas will only shove those who work and don't want to leave XPO to willingly fix what is being broken.

Let me state for the record, at least in my experience, our relationship with our local management has NEVER been better. We understand that the the company gets to set policy and run it's business, yet we are spared the frivolous disciplinary actions and childlike behavior that used to be the norm. Our management team understands that the issues we face are equally resolved only when management takes responsibility for their shortcomings and drivers take responsibility for whatever they can resolve. It has become a genuine team effort and we don't even have a contract yet. The days of head banging and hand wringing are over. We speak respectfully to one another and issues are worked on by all. Yes, there are still some disagreements, but a grievance and arbitration procedure rights many wrongs. The company is very familiar with the union experience in Europe and they all get along just fine. Although their bottom line is a bit smaller than it would be, any money spent on contract compliance is returned by happy employees generating increased productivity.

“Despite of all of these efforts made by the NNC, Local Unions and individual members to encourage voting, only 44.3 percent of the eligible UPS membership participated in the ratification referendum on the National Master Agreement. Of the 209,043 members who were eligible to vote, only 92,604 (44.3%) cast a vote. The results of the tabulation show that 42,356 (45.8%) voted for the proposed contract and 50,248 (54.2%) voted against it.

In such circumstances where less than 50 percent of the membership votes on a final contract offer, the International Constitution provides that “a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer…” Failure to reject the offer by at least two-thirds vote of those voting “shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.” As the vote tally indicates, a majority of members did not vote and a two-thirds majority of those who did vote did not oppose the contract.

The International Constitution does not give the NNC an option in these circumstances. As required by law, the NNC informed UPS of the ratification requirements at the beginning of negotiations. This provision has been in the Constitution since the 1991 Convention.”

Let me state for the record, at least in my experience, our relationship with our local management has NEVER been better.

Well yeah, of course you'd say that.

We understand that the the company gets to set policy and run it's business,

Are you under the same Drivecam policy as the rest of us? Did you not just have a single day "strike" recently to protest the company for following labor law? Doesn't sound like your understanding runs as deep as you suggest.

...we are spared the frivolous disciplinary actions and childlike behavior that used to be the norm.

So is that because you're organized or because you've flushed the management team a few times?

Scroll to the bottom. UPS Package is the one you're talking about that was forced to accept the contract. UPS Freight did reject their proposal.
Got it. My mistake for confusing the two. So freight is legit because it’s over 60% of the members reject, package gets accepted by default because of lack of votes. That’s really sad. Why wouldn’t they vote? Are they that apothetic?

Got it. My mistake for confusing the two. So freight is legit because it’s over 60% of the members reject, package gets accepted by default because of lack of votes. That’s really sad. Why wouldn’t they vote? Are they that apothetic?
I think it because there comfortable at package 38.00 an hour and going north,100% payed company benefits and pension. I think they have it so good apathy exist, you know the other guys will vote they don’t need mine. Now if they were up against losing their nice wages it would motivate some to vote. They figure the Union and some die hard supporters won’t let it happen. That’s my guess.

Are you under the same Drivecam policy as the rest of us? Did you not just have a single day "strike" recently to protest the company for following labor law? Doesn't sound like your understanding runs as deep as you suggest.
He can correct me if I’m wrong but he is referring to local management and their relationship. The reasons they struck for one day were not due to things decided on the local level but were strategic moves made by union busting law firms working in conjunction with upper management outside of that location. You as a driver not involved at one of the union locations probably don’t understand how this works. The company was in their case and in ours in direct violation of the law. That’s why the company chose to settle weeks from their day in court. The company did not want to loose and be labeled labor law violaters and be forced to pay fines and back wages . The company rushed to settle because they knew the were wrong. Hollywoodz was directly involved in this and no disrespect to your opinion as an outsider looking in from a far away location I think he knows better.

I can also say our relationship at our barn is the same as in their location and we work as a team to get the job done. We have far less if any of the petty problems at the local level than we did before.

Last edited:
I think it because there comfortable at package 38.00 an hour and going north,100% payed company benefits and pension. I think they have it so good apathy exist, you know the other guys will vote they don’t need mine. Now if they were up against losing their nice wages it would motivate some to vote. They figure the Union and some die hard supporters won’t let it happen. That’s my guess.
Sad but true....

We're NOT under the same drive cam policy as you. We are under the Drive Cam policy that applied in 2014. The one day strike was all about the raises and back pay. The NLRB ruled that the company broke the law and the company chose to appeal the ruling, which is their right under the law. We chose to engage in a ULP strike, which is our right under the law. We got our raises and back pay 4 days later. My understanding of the situation is just fine, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.