XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need a union for that. It's a shame that you think you do.

Allow me to elaborate, if you will. I will use one instance off a driver who was accused of urinating in his trailer after making a delivery. He was accused by the manager of the company to which he delivered. He was fired. No corroborating witness, no pictures, no video; only the allegation by the person who lodged the complaint. Weeks later, at a negotiating session, we had a sidebar with the company attorney who stated that the absence of evidence was irrelevant. They considered the statement as FACT and no further evidence was needed. A grievance and arbitration process would have saved his job. So, a ten year otherwise valued employee let go on a whim. There are more individual instances I could site if time permitted and this is only Miami. I'm willing to bet that similar stories could be offered by many of the 300 or so terminals in operation today. Smoke a joint, bang a hooker with the camera rolling...NOBODY can save you. But in instances like this, Unions are essential.

You should take a look back through these forums and see how many threads there are about, "Will we get a raise this year?". It certainly didn't seem the employees believed that annual raises were past practice. But the NLRB believed it anyway. I don't think it's crazy to believe the company thought that freezing your wages was a legal part of the process.

It's not about beliefs. It's about what actually occurred. Raises were given to all terminals as a normal part of past practices. It is illegal to withhold any benefit for the purposes of discouraging union activity.

I will use one instance off a driver who was accused of urinating in his trailer after making a delivery... So, a ten year otherwise valued employee let go on a whim.

I've been around a while, and I don't believe that an "otherwise valued employee" was fired for urinating in a trailer. Perhaps he was not as valued as you think.

Also, if the company cannot choose who it wants as an employee, then they do not run their business or set policy, as you claim.

It's not about beliefs. It's about what actually occurred. Raises were given to all terminals as a normal part of past practices. It is illegal to withhold any benefit for the purposes of discouraging union activity.

Haha, yeah, I know what the lawyers said. None of them were working here and could therefore not speak to the "normalcy" of annual raises.

I believe the XPO withholding raises from union employees was nothing more that a punitive action to them, as an example for all the others to see, and to intimidate employees on the fence. UNTIL they have a contract that both sides must abide by, I feel they should receive everything that we do. If not, is discriminatory just as separate overtime policy.

UNTIL they have a contract that both sides must abide by, I feel they should receive everything that we do. If not, is discriminatory just as separate overtime policy.

Sure, as long as they get everything we do- policy changes, healthcare changes, and raises. Giving them a raise and letting them weasel out of DriveCam accountability is an unfair advantage that they don't deserve.

Or, you can freeze everything where it is, and you bargain for change. If things are so bad, if XPO truly plans to continue to take-take-take, as the two prophets have foretold, then you'd still come out ahead simply by being stuck in the past.

Either way is fine with me, but being able to cherry-pick your status quo is BS, especially for an organization that spends so much time crying about "fairness".

Sure, as long as they get everything we do- policy changes, healthcare changes, and raises. Giving them a raise and letting them weasel out of DriveCam accountability is an unfair advantage that they don't deserve.

Or, you can freeze everything where it is, and you bargain for change. If things are so bad, if XPO truly plans to continue to take-take-take, as the two prophets have foretold, then you'd still come out ahead simply by being stuck in the past.

Either way is fine with me, but being able to cherry-pick your status quo is BS, especially for an organization that spends so much time crying about "fairness".

I disagree...
I don't think you can separate policy from pay. Policy is in writing, pay and bennies (and their cost)are not.
Status quo freezes what they have in writing at that time.

I've been around a while, and I don't believe that an "otherwise valued employee" was fired for urinating in a trailer. Perhaps he was not as valued as you think.

Also, if the company cannot choose who it wants as an employee, then they do not run their business or set policy, as you claim.

I'm telling you he was valued per conversations with local management. It was corporate who decided his fate.
I disagree...
I don't think you can separate policy from pay. Policy is in writing, pay and bennies (and their cost)are not.
Status quo freezes what they have in writing at that time.

Couldn't have said it better. Right on the money, my friend.

I'm telling you he was valued per conversations with local management. It was corporate who decided his fate.

Even the company attorney was cringing when he had to say the words " We take customers statement as factual." This was straight from corporate and I will say it again: All our issues come from corporate decisions made in Michigan or Connecticut. Local management understands our positions and is willing to work with us to resolve them.

So let me get this right you dont want the union but you wont like it if a union terminal is able to negotiate a better deal then you're getting?

Even the company attorney was cringing when he had to say the words " We take customers statement as factual." This was straight from corporate and I will say it again: All our issues come from corporate decisions made in Michigan or Connecticut. Local management understands our positions and is willing to work with us to resolve them.
Fact and our experience at our barn also.

The pay withholding became an issue because they broke from a pattern they had set in prior years. The new drivecam policy and other policy you refer to that we are not subject are random changes that they made in policy .

The labor board found enough merit to charge the company in this case . They could have easily found in their favor had the facts not substantiated the claims. The company would have move forward to a hearing on the matter if they thought they were without fault and wrongfully charged but they did not.

Last edited:
The pay withholding became an issue because they broke from a pattern they had set in prior years. The new drivecam policy and other policy you refer to that we are not subject are random changes that they made in policy .

The labor board found enough merit to charge the company in this case . They could have easily found in their favor had the facts not substantiated the claims. The company would have move forward to a hearing on the matter if they thought they were without fault and wrongfully charged but they did not.

They settled because they were guilty of an unfair labor practice, despite Gene's assertion that settling a case doesn't equal conviction. This was one of many violations perpetrated by the company and the courts were well aware of their willingness to break the law. Their desire to settle all outstanding ULP's was motivated by their fear of losing them all.

I disagree...I don't think you can compare policy and pay. Policy is in writing, pay and bennies (and their cost)are not. Status quo freezes what they have in writing at that time.

Current procedure aside, I'm saying that I think everything should get locked in or nothing does. Some risk or sacrifice on the part of the organizing employees is reasonable. (And spare me the song about how it's a risk already. You've got a big federal net under you when you organize.)

Current procedure aside, I'm saying that I think everything should get locked in or nothing does. Some risk or sacrifice on the part of the organizing employees is reasonable. (And spare me the song about how it's a risk already. You've got a big federal net under you when you organize.)
How do you freeze what's not in writing? The company tried to freeze what wasn't in writing and was over ruled.

Status
Not open for further replies.