Yellow | Yardgoat or Something Else...

So, is this Yellow RNE's new yardgoat, or as you easterners might call it a switcher?

Well, I'm thinking no! It's a museum quality restoration of one of Yellow's Kenworth CBE tractors that was first introduced in 1955 to the company's operations maybe? Certainly a real find for the dockmen yesterday morning. Wonder if any of them knew just what it was?

An absolute great surprise for this city driver who didn't at first, it wasn't until hours later, understand that it was a piece of history from Yellow's past. I like working for a company with traditions and history, not to many around these days.

What-is-it-1.jpg

Hope they have it on the ground and ready to go tomorrow so I can get some proper photos and really see if it's what I think it is, a KW CBE...

And yes, I'm a recently enrolled member of the American Truck Historical Society

Jimmy B

Welcome to the American Truck Historical Society. I have been a member
for 10 years. They are a great organization and they do a good job in preserving trucking History.

Steve

i sure hope it has a good muffler.

if it's cummins powered and has a backdraft manifold on it it will bark like an ak47.

i would dread talking that puppy across us60 in west virginia with 36 grand in an old fruehauf stainless 40 footer.

Welcome to the American Truck Historical Society. I have been a member for 10 years. They are a great organization and they do a good job in preserving trucking History.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I went to a get-together with the local chapter here in Reno. It was fun, and met up with a fellow I worked with at a different company almost 30 years ago. We both had an enjoyable time talking about the "good ol' days." Will join this local chapter later on this year. Unfortunately the chapter hasn't any LTL guys yet, except one who was a former CF guy.

Jimmy B

this guy should be banned.

I was a little shocked at first at how much of a jackass this person is, until I read that you are from the northeast, that explained it all! I guess being a miserable lowlife is the norm there!

Mean spirited posts will not be tolerated. Cut the crap !!!
Truckingboards Truck Drivers Forum - Forum Rules

i could care less about an old yd truck but i am not a low life and i can only assume you are a dallas cowboy fan ,you voted for bush , and you have illegal mexicans for neighbors, irish mafia/ you would not know irish mafia if it punched you in the face. have you ever been to the northeast(boston) how dare you berate a brother like that, trust me you are not a BROTHER like it or not you would be shuned if you ever came here so please stay in bush land ,wait do you have a clue what comes out of the sky in december and its white if it was not for those miserable lowlifes in in the northeast who drive in that ,you might not have a job.:chairshot::chairshot:

this winter, will you experienced snow drivers help me out as i'm scared out of my wits about driving in the snow with doubles.

this winter, will you experienced snow drivers help me out as i'm scared out of my wits about driving in the snow with doubles.

Just aim for the bottom and don't touch the brakes. If you start spinning up the other side, find a hotel and go to bed. :1036316054:

get a good shot jimmy even i ,one who does not work for a union, but am interested in history and things americans have built that are still better than anything the chinese can build want to see the front end. not everyone can go without saying harsh words or compare things to politicians when it is not even about that.

all we do is argue with one another and call each other names. i just don't understand.

I think it great that so many members are getting their blood pressure's up about a picture of an old truck. I can't wait until the new pictures come out and we really say some nice things to each other, not.

For the record I really like seeing old things that were made long ago. Its very interesting to me, but maybe it isn't to everybody. So, IF YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED, why are you even reading a thread about it? Some of you guys just like to be computer Rambo's it seems. I bet you same guys have big radios in your tractors and talk very rude about everything, to everybody, 10-4, I'm 10-10 and listening in, come on......

In case you need some parts for your C. B. radio's here you go:

GI JOE'S: CB RADIO - CB RADIO ANTENNA - SCANNER - CELLULAR

i could care less about an old yd truck but i am not a low life and i can only assume you are a dallas cowboy fan ,you voted for bush , and you have illegal mexicans for neighbors, irish mafia/ you would not know irish mafia if it punched you in the face. have you ever been to the northeast(boston) how dare you berate a brother like that, trust me you are not a BROTHER like it or not you would be shuned if you ever came here so please stay in bush land ,wait do you have a clue what comes out of the sky in december and its white if it was not for those miserable lowlifes in in the northeast who drive in that ,you might not have a job.:chairshot::chairshot:

Oops! I forgot how touchy you guys were! You are right about illegal mexicans for neighbors but don't worry they're coming to a neighborhood near you to take your jobs too if Obama gets in office! I have spent many long hours in Boston and I have to say it's not all bad, except for the winter. I have many relatives in South Boston. But don't worry I will stay where the weather is better and southern hospitality rules, and let my yankee relatives play in the snow.

Have a wicked awsome day!:punk:

Thanks Steve, I went to a get-together with the local chapter here in Reno. It was fun, and met up with a fellow I worked with at a different company almost 30 years ago. We both had an enjoyable time talking about the "good ol' days." Will join this local chapter later on this year. Unfortunately the chapter hasn't any LTL guys yet, except one who was a former CF guy.

Jimmy B

I am a former CF Guy but finish up my time with Yellow in Atlanta Ga then retired.
I moved back to Central Illinois.

Steve

I am a former CF Guy but finish up my time with Yellow in Atlanta Ga then retired.
I moved back to Central Illinois.

Steve

I worked causual for CF for a couple of days during 1979, my mentor was a CF guy who worked a line peddal in the area that I work as a resident driver in Quincy, CA before I moved down to Reno for work.

If there was time we'd have lunch in Susanville, CA together, and if either of us had something heavy to unload, not many forklifts in this area during the late 70s, I had a barrel ramp and together we could get just about anything off his or mine trailer with that ramp. Like wood stoves, log spliters and other heavy stuff.

At the time of CF's closure our terminal was able to put about 12 men to work, most of those guys are now retired, think we got 3 left now.

Jimmy B

I wish I had one of those in col. I would tell the "I need a new truck" whiners all I have to switch out is this old phone booth kw. Then I would laugh.

I like seeing antique trucks on display or in pictures. Until recently Roadway was displaying them on P&D runs but sadly they are gone.

Well It's Out of the Trailer...

Well they unloaded the truck/tractor that was in the nose of that trailer today. They brought in a tow company to pull the tractor out of the trailer onto a flatbed tow truck. After getting it out of the trailer and onto the flat bed tow truck the driver pulled the tow truck forward then tilted the flat bed on the tow truck and let the tractor roll off, I didn't get to see the process, but did get a few photos.

This first photo is of the KW CBE on the ground, with no front tires mounted on the rims. This was taken just after unloading.

YFSY2001_01_09-03-08.jpg

Here is a look inside the cab.

YFSY2001_04_09-03-08.jpg

I went out on another route and on my return the unit had gotten it's tires on the steering axle. Man this looks good...

YFSY2001_02_09-03-08.jpg

YFSY2001_03_09-03-08.jpg

They will be prepping the unit for the donation to the National Auto Museum in the next couple of days. Once it gets this TLC will see if I can get some decent photos with the sun to my back. Hope some enjoyed these photos.

Jimmy B

What a nice example of what trucking used to be. Kinda makes me laugh when I hear current drivers whine about their equipment. This KW was not air ride (except after you hit a bump) and this is not much of a Bostrom seat, a cab not much bigger than a coffee can, twin stick tranny, hand emergency brake............you need to get a better photo of the radio and CD player & CB......oh yea, none of those............but there was A/C.........the fan in the corner!! And I doubt there was power steering!

I have tons of admiration for those that "trucked" in those days!!

Thanks for the pictures JimmyB....When I saw that old national "scissor seat" a lot of painfull memories returned to my butt. That type seat was used in the first tractor I drove in a 1960 GMC "cracker box", and was used by National well up into the early 70's....thanks again for following up on the story!.....KK