XPO | You Busy Or Not ?

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
I’ve been retired from Con/XPO Freight for a little over 10 months now. A dsr friend of mine who still works at xpo said that they are crazy busy at his place. What gives... I thought that LTL freight was really slow cause businesses are shuttered cause of the virus?

I’ve been retired from Con/XPO Freight for a little over 10 months now. A dsr friend of mine who still works at xpo said that they are crazy busy at his place. What gives... I thought that LTL freight was really slow cause businesses are shuttered cause of the virus?
Location, location,location. Some terminals like mine are always busy no matter what. Other terminals or what I’d like to refer us country clubs they are drastically affected by the rise and fall from certain economic conditions. We are down at least six drivers right now possibly more and cannot hire anyone even though we have been looking for months we have had no applicants in the last two months.

How are terminals so dirty and it looks like a salvage yard most of the time I can’t even imagine if somebody came to Interview what they must think. I can remember the day that company upper management before Xpo toured the facilities to make sure that everything looked and was functioning well. We haven’t seen a person in upper management not even our regional manager in two years. Upper management is totally disconnected physically from what’s going on at our terminal. I don’t know if it is a regional thing a companywide thing or just our terminal.
We have a couple we have a couple of Xpo last mile facilities near us and they are on the same side shape I think Beirut looks better than them currently. Very sad

Last edited:
Hell I’m not even sure if we have a regional manager in our area couldn’t tell you his name .I know we don’t have an HR person right now and the safety guy seems to be MIA .Heck, I don’t even know how you manage a region or terminal without visiting service centers. How can you not heck, I don’t even know how you manage a region or terminal without visiting service centers. This is not a Covid thing either because this predates all of that.

Yes, we are busy. Hiring 2-3 drivers. One comes on board, one quits. Leaving freight behind at FAC most nights. Can’t increase L/H driver count because city needs to send many drivers out with 5-6 stops. I guess that’s all many of our drivers can do in 8 hours. The company doesn’t want to pay o/t. Attitudes of drivers and management is very poor.

I have to say my fellow drivers kick ass at our terminal. Some guys are faster than others but all pull their weight. Most guys run 2 peddle runs a day with 6-7 delivery stops on first run then come back around 12-1 pm and pick up another peddle with 7-12 stops on it . Oh yeah and they make pick ups on both runs . 10- 14 hours every day . The guys that get a single peddle run avg 10- 20 delivery stops a 10-12 pick ups . That’s if the equipment doesn’t break down which is an issue unto itself everyday .We are now a six day a week operation. Bottom guys come in on Saturdays and work the dock for 5-6 hours . You be hard pressed to find a harder working crew out there. Nobody gets less than a 10 hr days ever and don’t think about a day off if your not scheduled or at deaths door step

Last edited:
I have to say my fellow drivers kick ass at our terminal. Some guys are faster than others but all pull their weight. Most guys run 2 peddle runs a day with 6-7 delivery stops on first run then come back around 12-1 pm and pick up another peddle with 7-12 stops on it . Oh yeah and they make pick ups on both runs . 10- 14 hours every day . The guys that get a single peddle run avg 10- 20 delivery stops a 10-12 pick ups . That’s if the equipment doesn’t break down which is an issue unto itself everyday .We are now a six day a week operation. Bottom guys come in on Saturdays and work the dock for 5-6 hours . You be hard pressed to find a harder working crew out there. Nobody gets less than a 10 hr days ever and don’t think about a day off if your not scheduled or at deaths door step
I think veteran peddleman was only asking if everyone was and and not all your complaints..lol

What neck of the woods you in driver...near many industrial parks, long country p&d runs? A lot of liftgate and house deliveries slowing things down?

I think veteran peddleman was only asking if everyone was and and not all your complaints..lol
Oh, I don’t mind the side bar discussions. All the complaining helps me to remember all that bad stuff that’s I’ve since put out of my mind the last 10 months. It affirms my decision for getting out of driving for a living. Although I miss the dock work with all my former dsr buds. If an I/b dock gig opened up, I’d take it just to get out of the house.

It is good for that. Work is available all the time .
I know l liked the work, hours and the money. I got out cause I listened to junior men telling me I should retire, too old, cause I got sick,( a lung issue), and cause I didn’t want to go through anymore winter driving. The only driving I want to do now is on a fork truck.

Very steady some day busier than others. Right now hiring 5 drivers and a few dockworkers. 2 drivers already and one starting next week along with one dockworker. On LH we can not cover our own loads leaving our yard. At least 2 to 4 driver via on there way through to the FAC

Very steady some day busier than others. Right now hiring 5 drivers and a few dockworkers. 2 drivers already and one starting next week along with one dockworker. On LH we can not cover our own loads leaving our yard. At least 2 to 4 driver via on there way through to the FAC
Back in the day when I was working and it was really super busy at our barn like you describe here at your barn...a fellow dsr and myself would walk on our busy dock avoiding being hit by numerous fork trucks, and weaving our way over and around docked freight making our way to the office for our next run assignments. As we did, we looked at each other and simultaneously summed up the situation with two words... ‘IT’S NUTS‘ !!!

Back in the day when I was working and it was really super busy at our barn like you describe here at your barn...a fellow dsr and myself would walk on our busy dock avoiding being hit by numerous fork trucks, and weaving our way over and around docked freight making our way to the office for our next run assignments. As we did, we looked at each other and simultaneously summed up the situation with two words... ‘IT’S NUTS‘ !!!
You should see the FAC’s now. It’s a joke. A dangerous one.

You should see the FAC’s now. It’s a joke. A dangerous one.
I have to say it all depends on what FAC you go too. The one I go to it a mixed bag. The one that have tons of freight5 on the dock are the ones that have no empties. If those FAC would have empties the dock would be less cluttered. Nothing like turning the dock into one giant breaker