FedEx Freight | You guys kill me.....

WornOut

TB Lurker
Credits
A lot of stupid stuff on here, I used to come on here for an enlightening read about all the goings in the company, some good some bad... just everyday banter. We as LTL truckers going through our daily struggles. Damn , now it goes from bad mouthing the CEO....(who are not affected by your rants), to union crap, why not share info about positive things..... new equipment etc etc , Ive seen some pics of new city trucks, that was good. But damn........ do this for me..... what if you lost your job tommorrow, Due to what ever reason.... and you were free to go to whatever dream job you "thought" you were gonna have..... How long before you regret your loss? I have seen many guys quit, only to come back and say: Man Im back for good, the grass was not greener..... OK If your happier some place else than good for you, but in my 30 years of LTL Fedex is the best place for a driver, yes its hard, and they have a lot of stupid rules.... but ride it out for as long as you can, or change occupations. Oh, and BTW ... a union is not the answer.... Ive worked for union carriers, if you want to be a teamster, go to work for a union line.... oh wait, they wont hire you full time with benefits...... cant do it? Well work casual for ten years until you can get on regular....then maybe you can get the route that everyone else doesnt want.....

A lot of stupid stuff on here, I used to come on here for an enlightening read about all the goings in the company, some good some bad... just everyday banter. We as LTL truckers going through our daily struggles. Damn , now it goes from bad mouthing the CEO....(who are not affected by your rants), to union crap, why not share info about positive things..... new equipment etc etc , Ive seen some pics of new city trucks, that was good. But damn........ do this for me..... what if you lost your job tommorrow, Due to what ever reason.... and you were free to go to whatever dream job you "thought" you were gonna have..... How long before you regret your loss? I have seen many guys quit, only to come back and say: Man Im back for good, the grass was not greener..... OK If your happier some place else than good for you, but in my 30 years of LTL Fedex is the best place for a driver, yes its hard, and they have a lot of stupid rules.... but ride it out for as long as you can, or change occupations. Oh, and BTW ... a union is not the answer.... Ive worked for union carriers, if you want to be a teamster, go to work for a union line.... oh wait, they wont hire you full time with benefits...... cant do it? Well work casual for ten years until you can get on regular....then maybe you can get the route that everyone else doesnt want.....

B.S worn out! YRC will hire you AND put you on the list right away! As will every other Carrier because of the shortage of drivers !
Get your frekin facts right before you spout off crap about Unions or Union carriers!

We dont even hire casuals. When I hired on at Holland 15 years ago I was casual for 17 days.

Ain't seniority grand !!!

Dude... The industry you speak of existed 20 plus years ago. Your whole scenario is out of whack. The "casual" union position, the company that you say is soo great, no longer exist. What you describe is not the environment, today. We do our job better than we ever did, why should we change companies/occupations, etc. if we can fix this one? I'll give you credit for one correct statement: Fred Smith likely has no clue as to what exactly happened. Or exactly why. Bill Logue, on the other hand can take plenty of blame.

In truth, it will all be just fine. Relax. Union representation is going to be good for everyone. Not the end of the world, as you know it. The Company will survive, as will the employees. The relationship will just be more balanced. You'll be proud.

possibly a window hanger...:6788:

Wow 30 yr trucker! Question? How long did it take you to peck this out with your index fingers? Lol. Have another beer we got this. Sit back and enjoy the show and we'll do all the heavy lifting, but don't get in line for better insurance, pay, and job security when we're done since union's are sooooooo bad!

Good you want to talk about how back in June we were running good out here then came July. I've seen our frt drop and whole lot more frt going on pt's. Now some in management will still say we are busy, then why are runs cut almost every night . On Saturday's I can count 12 plus pt's trls sitting there ready to go and no less then 6 of our sets ready to go for the pt's. They will come back with well drivers are not answering the phone, well I'm answering the phone to get short miles. Yeah its work and beats sitting at home, but I know ones on the xtra board that are sitting at home with no call.

I count 4 less purchase were I go. In a contact you can bargain with the company on how much % they can use purchase. Get real wake up

Here is some positivity you ask for.

Fedex drivers will positivley be screwed over royaly come the next Medical Benefit enrollment .

Settle down paw paw after we get the union in, nobody is going to take your cake city route or daytime road run from you. If you been at fed ex (Af) 30 years this will probaly not affect you much so think of us younger guys who want a better workplace be selfless for once.

WornOut, how long ago was it that these people left, and regretted their decision? And exactly how many can you recall? "Many" is a little vague. I was with the company 18 years, and in the top ten out of a city driver board of about 65 drivers, seniority-wise. I planned on retiring at FedEx. I left last November, and the grass is a vibrant green. In fact, it's greener for roughly twenty if my former coworkers, who have gone on to other LTL carriers, as well as three others that I work with at my new job. These are all people who left from the same service center, and I know it can't be the only one experiencing that kind of loss. If you're happy where you're at, good for you, but don't disparage the choice of others, and assume that any will come back: that bridge has been pretty much burned, and by FedEx, no less...

By the way, that includes office staff, dockworkers, drivers, and supervisors. They gave lost (and are losing) employees from every level, locally.

oh wait, they wont hire you full time with benefits...... cant do it? Well work casual for ten years until you can get on regular....then maybe you can get the route that everyone else doesnt want.....

I never worked as a casual at ABF. I was fulltime from day one.

I never worked as a casual at ABF. I was fulltime from day one.
From what I hear in many places,Due to the driver shortage,(yeah right)In many locations,when you make 30 days you're IN!!! No more casual.... You start at 90% ,after 1 year,you go up to top scale less the give back, that WAS 7%. Now I don't work for ABF,I believe they got back 2% this summer.
Stony or someone else can get on,and or you could PM someone on the ABF Forum to give you the full details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here the company can put you on the list at their discretion. At 70 punches you are considered a "preferred casual". Means you must be called in before anybody who was hired after you.
You must be put on list on 100th punch. Thats about 5 months.
But they can and do put guys on before that.
I think they put 6 guys or so on early this year.
We have about 100 FT guys.
A few guys retired and the driver shortage has been insane.