Your music .

I was just thinking about Jimmy Dean. He was a great entertainer but was also a very successful businessman. He performed a lot in Las Vegas when I was in Nevada. He was being interviewed there when the subject of his signature western hat & boots came up. He said in many places & especially Nevada western hats & boots were common. He said he was in New York on business & had a meeting at a small but well known restaurant. The man at the door would not seat him because of his western hat, jeans, western shirt & boots. He explained that he & his business associates had reservations but he was still not allowed to enter, in fact was insulted & told he should should just go back to Texas where his kind came from. Jimmy told him he would be back. About an hour later Jimmy came back & said he had been on the phone talking to his attorneys & banker. He said it took some work but I just bought this restaurant, Now leave my property immediately because you are fired.

The correct name for the green he is singing about is Poke Salat, with a T. It grows wild & is very palatable. He pronounces it correctly, who ever wrote the article & song title apparently knows nothiong about life in the South. During the depression it was a staple for people who were financially challenged, which was just about everybody at the time.
True statement, although I have never tried to eat this grass, most folks I know still call it salad.

Most of my life I heard older folks talking about 'The good old days'. That included life in the Great Depression. Many told me they had short memories if they thought times were good then. Will Rogers said "Things sure ain't like they used to be, & probably never was'.

commodity-peach.md.jpeg
My Dad was born in 1928. His Father lost his job during the Great Depression. My Dad told me when he was a young child one Christmas, his only present was a peach.

Last edited: