ABF | YRC rebuffed in move to acquire ABF, ABF's parent says

freaking real nice how a company can cry poor mouth, take from employess, then try to acquire another company. where is the IBT ? if yrc needed concessions so bad, what the hell are they doing even thinking of taking on more debt by buying another company ? if they have the money to do that, then they can go back to full scale and full pension payments.

In my opinion it's a big conspiracy to end unionized trucking as we know it!All these trucking executives are in bed together and their all as thick as thieves working hand and hand trying to break us!

If I was an IBT official, I'd be raising a point about failure to negotiate in good faith, hiding facts that could affect contract negotiations...a complete lack of respect for the contract negotiation process. But....as Go4Gold puts it, people asking for a fair wage are out of touch with mainstream America. This is business,...and people are to be ground underneath the heel and discarded if their paltry wants and needs get in the way of profit.

You think the IBT doesn't know? They have two people on the YRC board of directors! They knew! For them to have kept it quiet for this long I'd say they would have to be for it. Makes me wonder about how they feel about the ABF teamsters, how they are supposed to be bargaining on our behalf, and why they have been so hush hush about details on the tentative agreement...

Judy E-Mailed management employees about the meeting this evening. So I would think this was true. The only thing that scares me is the phrasing "at this time"

maybe not at this time,but you could wake up in the morning and be a YRC employee.wouldn't that just be great.

I think there is more to it.I don't think that James Welch would actually go to ABF HQ with acquisition overtures.Youd be silly to believe that rubbish.But if an overseas entity that is in the hunt to buy YRCW had seriously tendered an offer for YRCW.Then maybe that is why we read about a "third party" involvement.That Mr.Welch was just passing on the info to ABF's President.Possibly meaning that ABF could be in that overseas entity's crosshairs as well as YRCW

Here we go again ! Did'nt have enuff seniority when Yellow bought Roadway....got kicked to the curb... now it's going to happen again when yrcw buys abf. I think it's a conspiracy to keep me from getting to my 4th week of vacation, THOSE BASTARDS !!!!

Mr Welch mite want to read the 5 year give back agreement I no he didn't work at yrc when they signed it, but there is wording in the agreement saying you can't buy another truck line with the money you saved in the agreement and if you do snap backs to full wages and benefits kick in.check it for yourself.

Mr Welch mite want to read the 5 year give back agreement I no he didn't work at yrc when they signed it, but there is wording in the agreement saying you can't buy another truck line with the money you saved in the agreement and if you do snap backs to full wages and benefits kick in.check it for yourself.
Let us pray.

freaking real nice how a company can cry poor mouth, take from employess, then try to acquire another company. where is the IBT ? if yrc needed concessions so bad, what the hell are they doing even thinking of taking on more debt by buying another company ? if they have the money to do that, then they can go back to full scale and full pension payments.

I hate to say this but if a bad contract is passed you will be living it 1st hand, We will be no better then yrc employees

Last edited by a moderator:
The IBT really blew this one when they didn't cover all their bases with the MOU's. Thus even giving YRC the opportunity to make such a move. YRC can't service their debt as it is, how will they service more? More Teamster give backs? Additionally, if Mr. Welch thinks that ABF comes with the freight we haul I can assure you he is mistaken. We have a lot of the freight we do because the customers do not want YRC hauling it and that business will not follow a buyout. Our equipment and theirs is not a match, we have a primarily single axle tractor fleet (I have never seen a twin screw with ABF logos on it) and an overwhelming majority of our trailers are pups. This equipment mismatch will not help their situation at all.

I hate to say this but if this bad contract is passed you will be living it 1st hand, We will be no better then yrc employees
Haven't seen the offer yet but I don't like where we're at on either front right now.

I hate to say this but if a bad contract is passed you will be living it 1st hand, We will be no better then yrc employees

If this contract isn't passed, you will soon be an YRC employee.....go read the Roundtable post....this is the only agreement, they are going to offer, and IT IS BETTER than the YRC work till you die or until your layed-off plan. I assure you, and many former YRC'ers will agree, under no circumstances do you want to be merged with YRC. We better show Ms. McReynolds and Mr. Slagle some love and support when we get our ballots. Now that I've worked both places, I promise you ABF is by far, a superior outfit. If it merges with YRC, you will be forced into their concessions. Again, ABFer's are faced with a dilemma. Vote yes for some concessions, and still remain the highest paid in the industry, or vote no and eventually be merged into a more concessionary agreement. As you have noticed the stocks shooting up, it is easy to see, that wealthy investors, who are out to make a quick buck, could care less about your future, since they are concerned about theirs. Let's get realistic, the market sets your wages, not some union contract, and the best union contracts can be re-opened and gutted, we all saw that happen.

Can you provide a link please??

If this contract isn't passed, you will soon be an YRC employee.....go read the Roundtable post....this is the only agreement, they are going to offer, and IT IS BETTER than the YRC work till you die or until your layed-off plan. I assure you, and many former YRC'ers will agree, under no circumstances do you want to be merged with YRC. We better show Ms. McReynolds and Mr. Slagle some love and support when we get our ballots. Now that I've worked both places, I promise you ABF is by far, a superior outfit. If it merges with YRC, you will be forced into their concessions. Again, ABFer's are faced with a dilemma. Vote yes for some concessions, and still remain the highest paid in the industry, or vote no and eventually be merged into a more concessionary agreement. As you have noticed the stocks shooting up, it is easy to see, that wealthy investors, who are out to make a quick buck, could care less about your future, since they are concerned about theirs. Let's get realistic, the market sets your wages, not some union contract, and the best union contracts can be re-opened and gutted, we all saw that happen.
Man you dont know how much I HATE to say this but I would take the SAME!!! contract that yrc has just to stay away from YRC. The disrespect that was leveled upon us was astounding.

The IBT really blew this one when they didn't cover all their bases with the MOU's. Thus even giving YRC the opportunity to make such a move. YRC can't service their debt as it is, how will they service more? More Teamster give backs? Additionally, if Mr. Welch thinks that ABF comes with the freight we haul I can assure you he is mistaken. We have a lot of the freight we do because the customers do not want YRC hauling it and that business will not follow a buyout. Our equipment and theirs is not a match, we have a primarily single axle tractor fleet (I have never seen a twin screw with ABF logos on it) and an overwhelming majority of our trailers are pups. This equipment mismatch will not help their situation at all.
Chicago has twin screws

FYI We do have a few single axles with air tags. last time i saw a twin screw it was an old carolina truck

Yrc dont need liquid cash to buy ABF, we got a line of credit several billion strong..welcome to the YRC family we're glad your aboard...sent from a current yrc employee...the only thing you guys need to worry about now is how many senority spots you fall from the dovetail....truck on brothers !!!!!!
Were did work before you hit the jack pot with yrc employment, Conway?

If we reject this contract offer, we will be without a contract as of June 1st. That would seem to me to leave the door open for YRC to buy ABF and not have to worry about what to do with us. We would be out in the cold, and YRC would have the option to hire some of us (at 80% of 85%) if it suited them. If I am wrong on this I would love to know it.