Holland | YRC unit irks union workers in Cincinnati

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
A YRC Worldwide Inc. unit is drawing the ire of union workers in Cincinnati, who claim USF Holland laid off four union drivers and retained part-time labor to work in their place.

In a letter distributed to members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local Union No. 100, Local President Butch Lewis wrote that USF Holland is employing “casuals” to work the docks in four-hour shifts for $12 to $14 an hour in violation of labor agreements between the company and the union.

Local No. 100 wants USF Holland to bring in union labor for an eight-hour shift before using supplemental labor, Lewis wrote in the letter, dated Wednesday. The local won’t strike, he said, but it’s going to file a grievance with the company.

“We’re going through the grievance machinery,” Lewis said. “If we’re right, we’re right; we’re wrong, we’re wrong.”A YRC spokeswoman declined to comment............

YRC unit irks union workers in Cincinnati - Kansas City Business Journal

Been doing it at br since it was signed.with the locals blessing on a daily basis.

This violation, the "Decision To Resolve 4-hour Employee Grievances" was posted in our breakroom on May 4, 2011.

A Subcommittee was supposedly formed to maintain and review, ANY allegation, that YRCF is using 4-hour employees, to reduce or avoid expansion of regular seniority employees.

Our TM has violated this agreement from day one.

I suggest that ALL Teamster Locals, file grievances against YRCF, for the past 45 working days, that are in violation and request that monies be paid immediately.

Would Teamsters of this board like to review the decision? I can scan and post the decision later today.

Some of us warned everyone that this would be the end result of this language that they put in there. But nobody wanted to listen. And many of you argued day after day that it would never happen. Does anyone who argued that "this would never happen" have the gonads to admit that you were wrong?

If it were worth the time, I'd go back and research who argued this and call them out on it. But, I won't. It wouldn't change anything anyway. You all know who you are.

This happened to some of us at JO last year, we were put on layoff on Christmas eve., and then called for four hour work when we didnt answer our calls they said we were refusing work and could work the casuals and the union agrees!! Are you kidding me??? Now with the unions blessing they worked the casuals because I have to wait for a call when on layoff too. If you could get my grivence heard and paid in Joliet, let me know. Oh yeah, we had to pay for our benie's that week too. LOSE LOSE!! Thanks Tyson for all the great work you do!

We warned everyone not to accept this crap when it was first proposed. Most people either didn't care about their lower seniority brothers or thought that the company only put that language in for fun. The language was right under our nose so we exposed it, and nobody would listen. Enjoy your unenjoyment money while it lasts.

I am a Reddaway Driver in Seattle. The union here had discussions about this with the company a while back. The company has since stopped using 4 hour workers. Evidently the 4 hour language was intended to only be for people that were laid off when it was implemented only. They could not expand the list to new hires or layoff more people and make them 4 hour workers. This language was only to get people that were laid off some work, not to give the employer more operational flexibility. If read in that context you will see what I am talking about. Just an fyi, we do not have casuals allowed in our contract.