Yellow | YRC Worldwide says cutting 900 nonunion jobs

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
Link to full article here UPDATE 1-YRC Worldwide says cutting 900 nonunion jobs | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

* Says removing 900 nonunion workers

* Says no further cuts seen at this time

* Says YRC is 75 percent of way to cost cut target

By Carey Gillam

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Oct 30 (Reuters) - Leading U.S. trucker YRC Worldwide Inc (YRCW.O) said on Friday it is cutting about 900 nonunion jobs in what could be the final round of layoffs in the company's broad financial restructuring.

The job cuts will be completed in the fourth quarter and should save the company between $15 million and $20 million, according to company officials.

They come on top of a series of labor reductions and "workforce adjustments" made over the last year as the company wrestles with steep declines in business volumes and lender requirements.

YRC Chairman Bill Zollars said Friday he does not see any further layoffs necessary for the "forseeable future."

"For the time being we think this is right and adequate," he said.

The cuts, which were reported by Reuters last month, come on top of more than 3,700 job reductions over the past year.

Company officials said with the headcount reductions, YRC is 75 percent of the way toward meeting its Jan 1, 2011, target of $200 million in annual run-rate cost reductions.

Yeah, they are cutting the non-union jobs. Those who voted Yes, are the non-union jobs. 18 months of no pay in pension, is a non-union job. I told you people you didn't know what you would be voting Yes too. Now all of you are at YRC's mercy. Now cuff those balls/chains back-around your ankles, and get back to work. Trust your union. They will let you know when they need you, again.

Yeah, they are cutting the non-union jobs. Those who voted Yes, are the non-union jobs. 18 months of no pay in pension, is a non-union job. I told you people you didn't know what you would be voting Yes too. Now all of you are at YRC's mercy. Now cuff those balls/chains back-around your ankles, and get back to work. Trust your union. They will let you know when they need you, again.
Those that voted yes should be the first ones layed off! In my :Duel:
opinion!

YRC Chairman Bill Zollars said Friday he does not see any further layoffs necessary for the "forseeable future."

"For the time being we think this is right and adequate," he said.

The cuts, which were reported by Reuters last month, come on top of more than 3,700 job reductions over the past year.

Well, in spite of what he said, a friend of mine (union) is getting the ax today. Sounds like the usual "Lay off the bottom 20% till after the holidays ::shit:: from Yellow... ("Happy holidays Tiny Tim" said Scrooge Zollars..)

Company officials said with the headcount reductions, YRC is 75 percent of the way toward meeting its Jan 1, 2011, target of $200 million in annual run-rate cost reductions.
Where in the world are they going to get another 25%??? I know the upper executives aren't going to give it up...

(I am from 218/257 aka CVE/RFO) It is amazing that our "new" company YRC, is in reality, barely the size of one of the "legacy" companies before this merger. But at our combined Cleveland facilities, we still have almost everyone in management left from both companies, especially "the big shots". The management cuts that have occured have been minimal and only targeted people on the very bottom of the ranks.

My other observation is that since it takes a minimum of 12 years at our barn to hold any type of a bid position on the dock, 16 years for the bottom of the extra board on road, and 20 years to be a city driver, wouldn't you think that such an experienced work force need less supervision, not more?

(I am from 218/257 aka CVE/RFO) It is amazing that our "new" company YRC, is in reality, barely the size of one of the "legacy" companies before this merger. But at our combined Cleveland facilities, we still have almost everyone in management left from both companies, especially "the big shots". The management cuts that have occured have been minimal and only targeted people on the very bottom of the ranks.

My other observation is that since it takes a minimum of 12 years at our barn to hold any type of a bid position on the dock, 16 years for the bottom of the extra board on road, and 20 years to be a city driver, wouldn't you think that such an experienced work force need less supervision, not more?

They are still around because they can threaten to fire people and write bullshit letters. Thats their job security. Whoever does the least amount of letters in a 3 month time gets cut. If I were you, I would start a gambling pool. That should make up for some lost pay. List the odds on those pools. Can I place a bet?

875 Same thing we each have our own personal manager....Its about 1 to 1 ratio....and when we bring it up to the terminal manager "Moron M.J J" he takes offense to the question...Says we need all the managers to keep writing warning letters for his quota.

We have a letter from his desk to all managers that they owe him 30 more warning letters….”If you value your jobs you will have them on my desk at weeks end”
He can care less it’s not money out of his pocket,

Those that voted yes should be the first ones layed off! In my :Duel:
opinion!

Posted by yrcrdkcm on an earlier thread:
"That was the point of my earlier post. None of us road drivers can financially
afford to take a day off. We can't work a full week already.
So if it makes me personally a MeSter to suggest I don't believe
in spreading the wealth so be it. That's what the non union LTL carriers do.
By the way I have kids too. I'm appalled at people
Who think they are entitled to work equal to a senior man.
Yes we are all Teamsters. Everyone should be reprensted equally.
Yet when you have seniority that entitles you to at
least get a normal weeks work. If not we have to lay more men off!
Pay your dues! The NMFA guarantees if we are unable to work a certain amount
The company has to lay off. It doesn't say spread the work to everybody."

You sir are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

We should organize ourselves and take an actual count of all the non-union personel vs teamsters. I'm sure that our representitive on the board of directors can use this information at the board meetings.

875 Same thing we each have our own personal manager....Its about 1 to 1 ratio....and when we bring it up to the terminal manager "Moron M.J J" he takes offense to the question...Says we need all the managers to keep writing warning letters for his quota.

We have a letter from his desk to all managers that they owe him 30 more warning letters….”If you value your jobs you will have them on my desk at weeks end”
He can care less it’s not money out of his pocket,

wait til january im willing to bet they ask for more give backs.sorry, that will be the end of yrc.no way are we going to pass another cut as long yrc keeps all those overrpaid upper managers, ALL they are doing is taking care of themselves we are picking up less frieght now than what either company did before the merg but with same amount of managers.they are just rubbing it in our face.the whole thing is a joke.

cant fix stupid

Most all of them voted yes because they had no frigging clue what else to do, they had no plan B, and are to stupid to come up with one. If you Google “average IQ by profession” truck drivers score a 75. That’s slightly higher than your dog who sits around licking his :eck13: all day, at first I was pissed when I saw that score, now I’m pissed because it’s true.

It's sink or swim time,there will be no more givebacks from the Teamsters. Anybody got a life jacket, women and children first!!!

Most all of them voted yes because they had no frigging clue what else to do, they had no plan B, and are to stupid to come up with one. If you Google “average IQ by profession” truck drivers score a 75. That’s slightly higher than your dog who sits around licking his :eck13: all day, at first I was pissed when I saw that score, now I’m pissed because it’s true.

damn, i read this ::shit:: yesterday and i'm still laughing. i drive for a living but sh*t, i know i dont have to

If my dog heard you say that,he would take a chunk out of your :eck13: The problem is too many members live paycheck to paycheck and vote the way their wives tell them to vote.They say one thing on the job and do something different at the kitchen table.I voted no and would do it again,but everyone has a right to vote and do vote based on their economic situation.Even with a 15% wage cut and loss of pension payments for 18 months,many members believe they are better off now,than they would be working for a non-union outfit.The people really hurting are those within a few months or a few years of retirement.If the economy doesn`t improve really fast,those that voted yes are only prolonging the inevitable.Then again,that could be their reason for voting yes,to let the company hang on a little longer and provide them with a few more months of work.

I voted yes because of the this company was run into the ground by zollars, the upper clowns have destroyed this company, how would voting no have changed the anything? Would a no vote have brought the frieght back???

I voted yes because of the this company was run into the ground by zollars, the upper clowns have destroyed this company, how would voting no have changed the anything? Would a no vote have brought the frieght back???

You`re right,the clowns at the top are responsible for what has happened to this company.Ronald McDonald couldn`t have done any worse.The economy has certainly played a large part in what has happened.I can`t understand how the board of directors allowed Zollars to do the damage that he has done to this company.As far as yes or no votes go,it`s up to the individuals how they vote.I only have my opinion.Here are some facts,every major company that has been given wage concessions have gone out of business,the only major company where the membersip has voted down wage concessions is still in business.That`s ABF.That has no bearing on what will or might happen to YRC. Yes or no votes didn`t bring back a bit of freight.The overwhelming yes vote may have kept some of the people working a little longer,but,like many others on this site,I can`t see how they can continue much longer the way they are going.Too much poor management and waste.Look for YRC to ask for more concessions.Perhaps cutting back on health care contributions.Never thougt I`d say this,but the 80s and 90s were great for the rank and file compared to today.The good old days.

You've hit the head of the nail

The senior union workforce that is left all over this company could run the company a whole lot more effectively than how it is being run by the inexperienced people running most of the terminals.

This company could make some money if they only had someone that knew anything about customers and freight at the reins instead of the "know-it-alls" that are there now. You could take a dark end of the line terminal make some money by eliminating those stupid managers that are there.