Yellow | YRC Worldwide's (YRCW) CEO James Welch on Q1 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

You say you just started here but you already profess to know all about how YRCW is "hiding" money?

with how many quarters this company has "lost money", compared to how many they have made money, why would any company keep flushing money down the toilet. the guys that run this company don't give a rats ass about our jobs. if they are "losing money", they would be out of the game. it just benefits them to play the shell game, and keep coming out with pathetic numbers.

last I knew, St J and Transcon didn't make any money. you know what they did? they shut down. New Century and Jevic shut down. if theres no cash to be had, they walk. Why else sit here and make these pathetic small numbers?

Bill, we didn't meet the O.R. threshold to receive any profit. 2 quarters isn't going to get it done. Let's use ODFL as the yard stick. We have to buy and do everything they are able to do,....plus service a 1.1 BILLION DOLLAR debt load. There are only so many hands in a deck of cards.
I'm just curious, not trying to make you upset, but, why do you stay @ Holland ? You clearly are not happy with YRCW, you're young enough to go else where and build a Pension. Surely there are jobs in the Buffalo area. I don't want to see you leave, I just think you're not being realistic. We're in a tough situation, it's not going to get much better very soon.

i'm not "unhappy" with it either, I just don't see this company, or ANY company, coming to the table and saying, ok, were flush with cash flow, how much do you guys want! its a good enough job, compared to what's out there, and I'm not going to bother with any MEPF's, maybe if I got into UPSF, or I think Praxair and Bluelinx around here have company pensions. but Praxair is team driving, and Bluelinx is a big cut in pay. I'm just playing the hand I was dealt, as I get sick of listening to guys say "they are going to come after us for more", "there are going to be more cuts in 2019", etc....

with how many quarters this company has "lost money", compared to how many they have made money, why would any company keep flushing money down the toilet. the guys that run this company don't give a rats ass about our jobs. if they are "losing money", they would be out of the game. it just benefits them to play the shell game, and keep coming out with pathetic numbers.

last I knew, St J and Transcon didn't make any money. you know what they did? they shut down. New Century and Jevic shut down. if theres no cash to be had, they walk. Why else sit here and make these pathetic small numbers?

Theoretically speaking, to keep you working and off government payroll?

BTW, YRC Corp has never shown a profit. Nor has YRC Freight. Previous to 2009, Yellow Roadway Corp showed slim margins.

i'm not "unhappy" with it either, I just don't see this company, or ANY company, coming to the table and saying, ok, were flush with cash flow, how much do you guys want! its a good enough job, compared to what's out there, and I'm not going to bother with any MEPF's, maybe if I got into UPSF, or I think Praxair and Bluelinx around here have company pensions. but Praxair is team driving, and Bluelinx is a big cut in pay. I'm just playing the hand I was dealt, as I get sick of listening to guys say "they are going to come after us for more", "there are going to be more cuts in 2019", etc....

If bargaining unit employees can support reduced claims, injuries and accidents with financial statements, it makes our bargaining position stronger in the future.

That is the basis of what our impact can be. The more efficient and cost effective we become, the stronger our position when we are at the table.

We can only control that which is within our reach. As long as the checks are good, do what you do best and leave all the other crap in the breakroom or parking lot.

I hear you loud & clear Brother. Albag and Triplex have said many times, none of us are happy about this entire situation we have been dealt. No Company, not even UPS [parcel], is ever going to say, ok boys what do you want, the coffers are open. And they make 34 BILLION Dollars per yr. Don't let the negative comments and postings on here upset you. It's Human Nature, it won't change. Some on here have a specific agenda they need to push, others are miss-informed and then there are the provocateurs.

I hear you loud & clear Brother. Albag and Triplex have said many times, none of us are happy about this entire situation we have been dealt. No Company, not even UPS [parcel], is ever going to say, ok boys what do you want, the coffers are open. And they make 34 BILLION Dollars per yr. Don't let the negative comments and postings on here upset you. It's Human Nature, it won't change. Some on here have a specific agenda they need to push, others are miss-informed and then there are the provocateurs.

"Provocateurs" Well done!!

Its hard to do, but simply don't listen to those negative guys. Most are prejudging. Based on ignorance. 2019 is a long way away. Worry about today. We might be nuked off the globe by 2019; one never knows.....

No comment other than do your own extensive research and be aware of 'forward looking statements.'

The company has failed to meet financial expectations and has neglected to fully address issues that might improve chances for greater success.

Just like the 15% wage reduction, I cannot 'write off' as a 'loss,' advice posted in a public forum.

I would never charge a brother or sister seeking advice on company matters to which I was privy or informed.

With all that said, I continue to shake my head at the choices made by fellow employees at all levels; my neck is more irritated and sore than it has ever been.
Thanks for the advice.I hope you and trip know I wasn't serious about the taxes or charging a fee.I guess my sarcastic humor was undetected.

Last edited:
TE="Freightmaster1, post: 927144, member: 570"]
mjObDKB.jpg

Say What?[/QUOTE]
Dont Forget the bottle of alcohol in his office.A case of drink and a case of hair gel

If bargaining unit employees can support reduced claims, injuries and accidents with financial statements, it makes our bargaining position stronger in the future.

That is the basis of what our impact can be. The more efficient and cost effective we become, the stronger our position when we are at the table.

We can only control that which is within our reach. As long as the checks are good, do what you do best and leave all the other crap in the breakroom or parking lot.
Are you also speaking of,
1. Guys that "milk the clock" for 3-5 hours a day.i.e. sleeping,or waiting for an hour for a dock instead of going somewhere else and coming back?
2. Some that are too lazy to use deck bars, dunnage, or air bags loading outbound?
3.Sit in the breakroom every other hour for 15-20 minutes
4.Work smart. i.e. Maybe pickup a skid while making a delivery to the same place before trailer is completely empty, so to not have to back track.
5.Actually try to get hooked and out the gate within maybe 30 minutes, and not an hour plus.
6.Yard, hook maybe more than 1 set per hour.
7.Maybe try for a few more than 3.5 bills per hour on the dock.
8.Try your best to talk to your co workers, and supervisors in regards to what may or may not be the best way to load a peddle run, or solve an issue on the dock.
9.Actually recoup the freight instead of making it the next handlers problem and loading it out in poor condition.
10.Just things I see daily that hurts us all.
11. Like El said. It will make our bargaining position stronger. Ask any steward how nice it is when he sits in front of the company and he has a list of ammo in front of him showing how the majority is achieving set goals, and keeping the things I mentioned above in check. Then he can say, yes, our people are doing their job. Now what was it you wanted to talk about? And they sit there with their jaw frozen not knowing how to respond? Then we are in a position of strength.

Are you also speaking of,
1. Guys that "milk the clock" for 3-5 hours a day.i.e. sleeping,or waiting for an hour for a dock instead of going somewhere else and coming back?
2. Some that are too lazy to use deck bars, dunnage, or air bags loading outbound?
3.Sit in the breakroom every other hour for 15-20 minutes
4.Work smart. i.e. Maybe pickup a skid while making a delivery to the same place before trailer is completely empty, so to not have to back track.
5.Actually try to get hooked and out the gate within maybe 30 minutes, and not an hour plus.
6.Yard, hook maybe more than 1 set per hour.
7.Maybe try for a few more than 3.5 bills per hour on the dock.
8.Try your best to talk to your co workers, and supervisors in regards to what may or may not be the best way to load a peddle run, or solve an issue on the dock.
9.Actually recoup the freight instead of making it the next handlers problem and loading it out in poor condition.
10.Just things I see daily that hurts us all.
11. Like El said. It will make our bargaining position stronger. Ask any steward how nice it is when he sits in front of the company and he has a list of ammo in front of him showing how the majority is achieving set goals, and keeping the things I mentioned above in check. Then he can say, yes, our people are doing their job. Now what was it you wanted to talk about? And they sit there with their jaw frozen not knowing how to respond? Then we are in a position of strength.

So, what are you really saying? :biglaugh:

breakroom or parking lot, why do you think I get on truckingboards!? to vent!