Yellow | YRCW possible takeover

christopher3573 :1036316054:

I understand you Roadway folks still want to stay relevant. But since Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express they just unloaded their liability to Yellow, knowing that there wasn't much future value, otherwise why get rid of it.

River,
the spin off by Roadway services was because Roadway was the only unionized company in the group. The others were Coles, Spartan, Viking, & Central Freight Lines. The thought was that Roadway wouldn't last after the spin off and Services also unloaded their pension and welfare liabilities. At the time of the spinoff Yellow was in just as bad a financial position as anyone and was also tinkering on the brink. If memory serves me right, the spinoff occured about 12 years ago and the creation of YRC occurred about 5 years ago. The 2 had nothing to do with each other 12 years ago. How ironic is it that Roadway still exists and the others except Central are gone? ANd how long will Central remain around with all the problems they are having.

River,

If memory serves me right, the spinoff occured about 12 years ago and the creation of YRC occurred about 5 years ago. The 2 had nothing to do with each other 12 years ago. How ironic is it that Roadway still exists and the others except Central are gone? ANd how long will Central remain around with all the problems they are having.

Animo916 :1036316054:

Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express in 1997, and not to be outdone CNF spun off Consolidated Freithways in 1997 also. We all know Consolidated Freightways closed it's doors in September, 2002.
The ironic part is not that Central Freight still barely exists (they actually are on the way to the cemetery, that is why Viking sold it to Jerry Moyes of Swift fame), but the brilliance of Roadway Services that no sooner got rid of Roadway Express, in 1998, "married" FedEx Express. Thus now we have FedEx Freight (formerly Viking Freight),FedEx Ground (formerly RPS, Roadway Package Services) and
FedEx Custom Critical (formerly Roberts).

:smilie_132:

I thought FedEx Freight was from its purchase of American (aka Arkansas) Freightways??

Hoosierky :1036316054:

Roadway Services bought Viking Freight in 1988.
Roadway Services changed its name to Caliber in 1997 after the spin-off.
Caliber and FedEx merged/taken over in 1998.
FedEx bought American Freightways in 2000.
FedEx Freight name started in 2001, with the combination of Viking and American Freightways.

Hey river, since you have so much knowledge, how are the non-union drivers (ccx, fed-ex) enjoying their non guaranteed 40 hr work weeks?
I know the ones in SE Wisconsin are pretty miserable.

Hey river, since you have so much knowledge, how are the non-union drivers (ccx, fed-ex) enjoying their non guaranteed 40 hr work weeks?
I know the ones in SE Wisconsin are pretty miserable.

sarge :1036316054:

Sorry can't help you there.
But city drivers are not getting any overtime in many places due to the soft economy.
You guys get paid a 40 hours/week guaranteed even if they don't have any work??
Myself I have a bid run and stay pretty busy.

sarge :1036316054:

Sorry can't help you there.
But city drivers are not getting any overtime in many places due to the soft economy.
You guys get paid a 40 hours/week guaranteed even if they don't have any work??
Myself I have a bid run and stay pretty busy.

If your a bid guy,yes.

River....We know the history of Roadway. All I was saying is Yellow does not own Roadway. Roadway is ranked #1 or #2 every year in LTL since I can remember. Roadway was never close to closing down or going belly up. NEVER! To this day and of last year, Roadway made more money than any other LTL company. We will not know until after April next year due to the contract neg.Yes, Roadway had it's fat but slowly and surely Mr. Z has cut that away. I don't know where you work but you seem to at least know your history of trucking.

River....We know the history of Roadway. All I was saying is Yellow does not own Roadway. Roadway is ranked #1 or #2 every year in LTL since I can remember. Roadway was never close to closing down or going belly up. NEVER! To this day and of last year, Roadway made more money than any other LTL company. We will not know until after April next year due to the contract neg.Yes, Roadway had it's fat but slowly and surely Mr. Z has cut that away. I don't know where you work but you seem to at least know your history of trucking.

christopher3573 :1036316054:
Great post.
I've been trucking since 1972.